Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th July 2018, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wonderful fun filled black comedy about a beautiful female vampire who ,hungry decides on Italian for her next meal and sets her sites on a mob boss(Robert Loggia) she is interrupted while having her meal and doesn't have time too finish him off. Which is bad news as he comes back as a vampire and sets off turning his crew, so our good vampire lady teams up with a cop to stop him. Lots off little nods to other horrors with plenty of blood flowing and Loggia steals the show with his OTT performance. This is a hidden gem that's crying out for a UK blu ray release. 9/10

Tried watching clive barker underworld but gave up after 20 minutes, thought it would fall into the so bad it's good category, but it's just shit.

So decided to watch eXistenZ which not seen before.

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th July 2018 at 09:40 PM.
Old 29th July 2018, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Darc (Julius R Nasso)

Rollickingly (?) violent revenger. Plus Armand Assante!! . An excon is 'recruited' for a task where that ol' special set of skills comes in-a handy alrighty . Did I mention the violence? Undemanding bordering on slight tis.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th July 2018, 11:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Slayer.

Kay is a artist who is plagued with nightmares about a weird monster, and her art career is going down the toilet due to it. her husband is getting fed up with it and arranges a vacation to a remote island with her brother and his wife to cheer her up. but it doesnt help Kay at all because she's even more anxious and says shes seen the island before in her dreams.

this i like very much, and is similar in style to Anthropophagus with people on remote islands being stalked and killed by a maniac killer.
but this is not as gory as Anthropophagus though, although there is a couple of good kills by oars, pitchfork and a good head chopping with a head in the bed just like out of Bloody Moon.

top score of 90.7 for this spooky little film with bags of atmos.
Old 30th July 2018, 02:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Not Another Teen Movie (2001)

For about forty minutes this skit on high school teen movies is near genius, but it becomes apparent that the plot, if there is one, is so wafer thin that the film really is just a series of sketches aping scenes from other movies and it swiftly becomes a game of spot the movie.

Having said that, the gags come thick and fast and are there to offend pretty much everyone...it's just that lack of story that kills the film after a while.

Probably now most notable for starring a naked Chris Evans (Captain America) and tv's Supergirls sister Chyler Leigh in a very funny masturbation sequence.

The dvd features the hit music video Tainted Love (and oddly a music vid making of) by Marilyn Manson, which features the stars of the film, Leigh in particular, as 'sexy Goth bikini girl'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg not-another-teen-movie-movie-poster-2001-1020215968.jpg (62.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th July 2018, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remember not liking this much but it was years since I saw it so thought I would give it another go, but it's still as overrated and boring as I remember . Also for those who haven't seen it before the new art work does it no favours as you thinks its sometype of supernatural / demonic horror.5/10

While not as good as Cronenberg earlier works it's better than some of his later stuff and deals with his usual themes of body horror. A game designer is on the run when a attempt is made on her life and the lines between what s the real world and the game world become blurred. A good cast of familiar faces and a film that will put you off Chinese / seafood . 8/10

Now watching shadowbuilder.
Old 30th July 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Faust (1926, F W Murnau)

You know how it is. That unquenchable thirst for arcana. So when a skanky old beggar offers you your heart's desire (and then some ) in exchange for a single drop of blood .... just remember they don't have ads like this on tv

"Have you lost your immortal soul in a hasty wager? Call us and we'll get it back for you.... "

Ahem. Stunning on my shitty vhs, upgrade sooon though, this is a recommend to all who like cinema. But then I could say the same for Sunrise etc. Murnau Rules!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th July 2018, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Faust (1926, F W Murnau)

You know how it is. That unquenchable thirst for arcana. So when a skanky old beggar offers you your heart's desire (and then some ) in exchange for a single drop of blood .... just remember they don't have ads like this on tv

"Have you lost your immortal soul in a hasty wager? Call us and we'll get it back for you.... "

Ahem. Stunning on my shitty vhs, upgrade sooon though, this is a recommend to all who like cinema. But then I could say the same for Sunrise etc. Murnau Rules!!!
Will have to watch that soon along with the other Murnau and silent films I have.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 30th July 2018, 08:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoy!! Overtly demonstrative acting aside, where Fred went ... others are still following. Plus the two silents I have seen upgraded both looked stonking
keirarts and troggi like this.

[B]
Old 31st July 2018, 12:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Death Wish.

Charles bronsons wife and daughter are at the supermarket and get followed home by a gang of muggers who pretend to be the delivery boys.
then they get attacked and kick his wife to death and rape the daughter. the daughter never gets over it and ends up in a asylum run by nuns.
when the police fail to catch them Charles bronson takes the law into his own hands and decides to wage war on all the scum, using a gun he got as a
present when he was working in Texas.

this is very good top notch Bronson film and he is fantastic in the role in deed. and has you cheering as he blows away all the low lifes.

also, the supporting cast are very good as well, especially the funny little policeman who is on Bronsons tail and always sneezing. and it was funny
seeing that chap out of The fly playing a mugger and rapist.
Michael winner is a most excellent director and I like his films a lot. Top scoring again of 94.5 out of 100.
Old 31st July 2018, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Heartbreak Ridge. 1986

Tom Highway a tough veteran of the U.S Army is tasked to train a reckon unit. At first the unit find his training old school and hate it but begin to warm upto him.

Clint Eastwood stars and directs in this action comedy, that is like a new breed vs old dinosaur school training and the unit attitude is basically out the door but they are toughened up.

Eastwood does his best to keep us entertained with the tough nosed acting and the jokes and the head to head with his major Everett McGill with his antics. Mario Van Peebles keeps up the laughs, there is some flaws in this but worth a watch 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-HeartbreakRidgemovieposter86.jpg (16.7 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!