Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2018, 05:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A group of tourist go on a haunted swap your and here about the legend of Victor Crowley, they soon find out he is real when he starts dispatching them in very gory and brutal ways. No much in the way of story , which is just an excuse to get from one gory kill to another. I like this more than any of the Friday the 13th films. 8/10

Now watching Paddington 2.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Now watching Paddington 2.
That's a contrast Have you seen Paddington 2 before? I was worried it wouldn't be as good as the first but I think it was slightly better in the end!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th August 2018, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Kudos ...

I am watching Nightmare Beach (Harry Kirkpatrick)
which has Michael Parkes in it. I'm sure it will be great . You will all find out if it isn't

Haphazardly violent in places. Biker tosh with the John Saxon. Maaan youre gonna get cut etc

NEXT

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 13th August 2018 at 08:12 PM.
Old 13th August 2018, 06:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
The Pit

Attachment 207767

Absolutely f*ckin nutzoid obscurity from 1981.
Jamie is a pretty disturbed and withdrawn 12 year old boy who is shunned by the local kids and whose best friend is Teddy ( a teddy bear that talks to him).

Attachment 207768

When his parents go away on a trip they leave him with an attractive female babysitter who he becomes obsessed with, watching her sleep and creeping up on her in the shower etc.

Meanwhile he finds a pit in the local woods, inside live some weird creatures he calls Tra-la-logs, he becomes obsessed with them and decides to look after them, only to find they have a taste for raw meat.

Attachment 207769

Running out of money for food, he decides to take those who have teased and upset him and lead them to the pit.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, it seems to just bung a load of random elements together, but i have a soft spot for these type of weirdo films. Stuff that you watch late at night and just say WTF were these guys on, things that have a dreamlike feel.

The film is pretty well made and well acted, there's not much gore or nudity, but just enough to ice the cake.
The story went in a few directions i wasn't expecting so it gets points for that from me too.

Recommended 8/10
SOLD
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th August 2018, 06:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Eden Lake

A film i've been meaning to catch up with due to the F-bender being in it, because he's a pretty decent actor usually. He's good in this too and the film is well made and tense, i was on the edge of my seat throughout as a couple are set upon by homicidal chavs.

I must be getting old though because even though i thought it was well made it just seemed too grim and the ending made me want to rip what's left of my hair out, leaving me wanting more vengeance and some satisfaction.

So very well done, but don't know if i'll ever watch it again as i felt pretty down afterwards.

7/10
I didn't think much of it when I first saw the film, BUT it takes on a whole new dimension when you have been 'wildcamping' - living in a camper van, and pulling up in car parks and secluded areas to stop and spend the night

Believe me when I say the kind of feral youths and families depicted in the film actually exist, and then it becomes truly terrifying

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th August 2018, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Bring It On: Again (2004)

When new students can't get onto their college cheer leading team, they form their own squad and prepare for a cheer off.

Basically just the same film as Bring it On for the first hour but lacking the budget, quality script and stars of that film. The last third redeems it somewhat as the film takes quite an unexpected left turn (I didn't read any synopsis beforehand) and became a hell of a lot more enjoyable culminating in a gripping cheer off...if it's possible for a cheer off to be gripping. Lets just say it brings the best of sports movie cliches to the party and became a more interesting watch.

Worth a watch if you liked Bring it On.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Bring_It_On_Again_DVD_cover.jpg (30.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 13th August 2018, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My first viewing and for me if just that little it better than the first ,a utterly charming film with a wonderful cast , Hugh Grant is fantastic as the villain. Has a Wes Anderson feel to it in some places and not embarrassed to say I had a tear in my eye more than once. A wonderful feel good sequel. 9.8/10
Old 13th August 2018, 07:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

My first viewing and for me if just that little it better than the first ,a utterly charming film with a wonderful cast , Hugh Grant is fantastic as the villain. Has a Wes Anderson feel to it in some places and not embarrassed to say I had a tear in my eye more than once. A wonderful feel good sequel. 9.8/10
Fantastic!
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th August 2018, 07:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Black Book (2006).

Superb Dutch film from Paul Verhoeven, about a Jewish girl who ends up working as a spy in the Resistance during World War 2 after her family are killed by the Germans.
Later she finds out that she has to sleep with a high ranking SS officer who takes a shine to her after a meeting on a train, but she hadn't intended to fall in love with him as well.

A long film at nearly two and a half hours, but with so many twists and turns, suspense, thrills and action, the time just flies by.
Carice van Houten who plays the role of Rachel Stein is superb and beautiful and holds your attention throughout the film.

Definitely one of Verhoeven's best films, and as usual he doesn't hold back on the realism with depictions of nudity and violence. Well recommended 9/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51yrfIb8O9L._SX342_.jpg (37.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 13th August 2018, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I liked P2 as well .. sliiightly Ealing vibe to it etc
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!