Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179448Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th August 2018, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I must give Hatchet II another spin some time as on first viewing i thought it was terrible.

The first film was really good though.
As been said not as good as the first. But worth a watch.
Old 16th August 2018, 07:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1983)

Taking her cue from the Norman Bates school of motel management, hotelier Anna Chappell kills her daughter in a moment of rage then takes it out on unsuspecting guests with a sickle, bugs, snakes, whatever!

This is really bad, the effects are cheap, the story dull with actors who can't act and it's poorly shot, totally wasting it's Louisiana locations.

A complete waste of time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B01N7P4FZP.pt01_1400x.jpg (94.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 16th August 2018, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not just the best wolverine/ xmen movie, but one of the best superheroes movies fullstop, but it's probably as far away from a superhero movie with one in it as you can get. It's a very violent road movie with a aging and dying Logan taking care of an aged Xavier who is losing his mind, Logan comes across a young mutant with a familiar set of powers and reluctantly helps her. The noir version makes a good film even better and the black and white makes the film more atmospheric. 9.8/10
Old 16th August 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Children. A teenage girl is not looking forward to a weekend stuck with her parents and much younger siblings at her aunt and uncle's house with them and her equally young cousins. But boredom and social isolation become the least of her concerns when a strange illness appears to sweep through the children - and then leaves them possessed of a cunning and gleeful malevolent intent... This late 2000s entry in the "evil kids" horror subgenre turned out to be a rather delightfully unexpected hidden gem, taking a potentially silly premise and treating it with absolute fidelity and becoming genuinely scary and disturbing as a result, with some scenes that even shocked a jaded horror fan like myself. I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best horror flicks of the 2000s, and I'm staggered that I'd never even heard of it till you guys brought it up the other day!
Old 16th August 2018, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Children. A teenage girl is not looking forward to a weekend stuck with her parents and much younger siblings at her aunt and uncle's house with them and her equally young cousins. But boredom and social isolation become the least of her concerns when a strange illness appears to sweep through the children - and then leaves them possessed of a cunning and gleeful malevolent intent... This late 2000s entry in the "evil kids" horror subgenre turned out to be a rather delightfully unexpected hidden gem, taking a potentially silly premise and treating it with absolute fidelity and becoming genuinely scary and disturbing as a result, with some scenes that even shocked a jaded horror fan like myself. I'd go so far as to say this is one of the best horror flicks of the 2000s, and I'm staggered that I'd never even heard of it till you guys brought it up the other day!
Glad you enjoyed it Ian.

Have you seen Dorothy, Orphan or Cradle Will Fall?

Three other horror films featuring brats from the same period. I recommend them all if you haven't.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th August 2018, 12:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Never heard of them either!
Old 17th August 2018, 01:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Winchester. 2018.

Widow Sarah Winchester believes she is being haunted by souls of people that have been killed by the rifles her husband made and builds a mansion to confuse the ghosts. A doctor was summond to see if she is being haunted or loosing her mind at the loss of her husband and infant.

Two sides to this movie, this can be a genuine haunted house movie, but also seeing things from Sarah Winchester point of view of grief with her family and blame of the victims that were gunned down by the rifle.

Helen Mirren plays the main character well that you feel some sympathy for her and is she actually believing ghosts are there to torment or is she loosing her mind. Jason Clarke plays the doctor who is sent to her and has a non clear head.

There is some things that did happen and typical hollywood add in extra bits, parts of it were accurate that in 1906 part of the house was damaged by a earthquake..or was it something else. Downside to this was seeing different trailers that spoiled some supposidly jumpy bits, best watched with a open mind. 6-7 out of 10.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:25 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The New barbarians.

set in 2019 after a nuclear war, The templers, led by the big chap George eastman from Anthropophageos, go around murdering the few remaining surviors in their souped up golf buggies covered in tin foil and sporting pristine white outfits and camp punk rocker hair dos.

Meanwhile, ex Templer Scorpion is now a lone wolf type character wandering the wasteland and ends up crossing big George when he helps a bunch of nomads led by a Bible basher called Moses.
add into the mix Fred Williamson, another lone Wolf who comes to the aid of Scorpion in his hour of need with his exploding arrows and the kid who played Bob from House by the cemetery, with his deadly catapult, and you have one very funny Mad max rip off.

loads of non stop action in this one, with exploding heads, killer corkscrews and decapitations. And a really bizarre scene were big George punishes Scorpion by banging on his back door, if you know what i mean.

Eye candy is provided as well by the foxy Anna karakis who Scorpion saves from the Templers, and she thanks him by getting jiggy in a weird plastic tent.

Overall, a very entertaining film with a killer synth score. and proof that the director Enzo Castellari didnt need a huge budget to make a fun film set mostly in a quarry. 90.3 out of 100.

Old 17th August 2018, 01:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Flesh and Blood Show (1972)

A anonymous producer assembles a group of actors to be in a play, rehearsing in an abandoned theatre beside the sea before heading off on a national tour. However before long the cast are soon being killed off one by one.

One of director Pete Walker's less celebrated efforts but it's a film i really like. More slasher than Walker's usual kitchen sink horror grittishness, the film plays like an earlier version of Soavi's Stage Fright, although this is my preferred film. Having said that, Walker also added elements of his sexploitation films into the mix here culminating in an often sleazy piece of British exploitation.

The Flesh and Blood Show was the first film where Walker had the main protagonist or killer as an older person. He employed this technique to even greater effect in films such as Frightmare (1974), House of Whipcord (1974), House of Mortal Sin (1976), that's not forgetting his creepy old cast of legends in House of the Long Shadows (1983).

The film has a great cast of familiar faces from the period - Ray Brooks, Robin Askwith and Patrick Barr immediately spring to mind as well as a fine array of leading ladies in Jenny Hanley, Luan Peters, Judy Matheson and Candace Glendenning.

The Odeon dvd features the 3D climax as an extra, so if you have the correct coloured lenses you will be able to watch it in the director's approved way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flesh-and-blood-show-movie-poster-1973-1020464326.jpg (84.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 17th August 2018, 03:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Flesh and Blood Show (1972)
I've mentioned before, my Auntie Dawnie [RIP] appeared in this as an extra

When I was talking to her about films, she once told me: "For the 'Flesh and Blood Show' we went to Brighton. I was a chain mailed spear carrier in Hamlet in, I think, the pier theatre....The lead was the guy who did the voice over for Mr Benn [Ray Brooks]"

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!