Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2018, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Dead Pool.

Clint eastwood is back once again and for the last time as Dirty Harry.
This time he has become a media celebrity after the arrest of a major mafia boss who's family are plotting revenge.
and he also has to deal with a serial killer who is murdering celebrities on a dead pool list, a list were people bet on celebrities that will die. Chief suspect is Peter Swan(Liam Neeson), a horror film director who is also playing the Dead pool game.

i have to agree that this is definately the weakest out of the Dirty harry films, but it is still enjoyable and quite underated in my opinion. It has a nunber of witty one liners including Clint's, You're shit outta luck, and some effective action scenes including a toy remote control car with is rigged with a bomb.

The supporting cast is good as well, including his new Chinese kung fu kicking partner, and theres even a appearence of Jim Carey as a crazy rock singer off his head on drugs.

overall, definately worth a watch, and still better than the sorry excuses for action films nowadays. 81.5 out of 100.

Old 21st August 2018, 06:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ladyhawke(1985).

Captain Navarre and Isabeau are two lovers cursed by the jealous evil Bishop of Aquila.
By dawn, she is turned into a hawk, and by dusk, he is turned into a wolf, which means they can never be together as one.
Navarre's mission is to confront the Bishop and kill him. But he eventually finds out that there may be a way to break the curse.

This is a very well made film, with great performances by the cast. Rutger Hauer is very convincing as the captain of the guards. And Michelle Phieffer as Isabeau. Matthew Broderick also stars as pickpocket Philippe "The Mouse" Gaston. And although he isn't one of my favourite stars, he's pretty good in this one.

Nice cinematography as well, although the disco type score does seem a little inappropriate for the film. Nevertheless, it's still well
recommended and i thoroughly enjoyed it. 7.5/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91I-TnVLnqL._SX342_.jpg (36.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st August 2018, 08:20 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Swamp Zombies 2

Len Kabasinski's follow up to his original sprawling, badly in need of an editor, Swamp Zombies, sees him advance as a film maker but sadly it lacks the charm of his other monster and martial arts backwoods epics. Gone are endless scenes of pointless dialogue and people aimlessly wondering around in the woods to be replaced by tight editing and story telling. It still retains the substandard martial arts scenes, gore and nudity but now his work feels z grade generic.
Old 22nd August 2018, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane.

Jodie foster plays a 13 year old girl who supposedly lives with her poet father down a quiet lane. but no one has ever seen him, and before long she starts getting harashed by her nosey neighbours, like the local peado Frank Hallat and his obnoxious mother.
But she's smart and does everything in her power to stop them finding out the truth, with help from her boyfriend a local magician
with a limp.

This i liked very much and is a exccellent psychological thriller. it is a bit slow but never boring, and relies more on atmosphere than blood and guts, so dont expect a slasher film. Martin sheen who plays the creepy Frank Hallet is very good too and particulary evil when he kills her hamster, and especially Jodie foster as the teenage girl doing everything in her power to protect her independence including murder.

very good indeed, and therefore i award this film 90.7 out of 100.

Old 22nd August 2018, 06:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jason Goes to Hell and Entrapment.

JGTH was the only Friday film I hadn't seen for years, having seen the first 8, Freddy vs Jason and Jason X in 2009. The Remake I saw in 2012.

Its... Different. The tone from the first 8 films is gone, that simple slasher film feel. Here he's literally possessing people. A bold experiment, but I'd rather just see Jason, Pamela or a Jason look-a-like (Roy) doing the killing.

Is it good? No but its not outright bad either. Its so bad its good, if only for that amazing tent kill, a cool looking Jason, that amazing ending and the easter eggs (The Evil Dead book and dagger, the crate from Creepshow).

Entrapment was a well made film. Connery never ceases to amaze and even at 68 years old he proved he still has it. His chemistry with Catherine Zeta Jones is a highlight and I enjoyed watching them pull off heists whilst not quite knowing what side she was on. Nice location work as well (Scotland). This should have been his final film as opposed to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It would have been a good one to go out on. Either that or he should have ignored LOEG and instead accepted the role of Gandalf and went out in Return of the King.
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another enjoyable DC animated feature ,this time the justice league are possessed by demons and are trying to bring Trigon ( basically the devil) to earth by way of his daughter Raven who is part of the teen titans. 7.5/10

Now watching Rampage. I do like a bit of Rock.
Old 22nd August 2018, 07:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well that was better than a was expecting. It will never win any awards but it's a very fun ride that's like a glorious 80s b movie with a huge budget. Basic story is a group of animals a white gorilla , wolf and some sort of reptile come in contact with a genetic substance that increases there size, strength and gives them regenerative abilities, it's up too the Rock to stop them and the company responsible as well as trying to save the Gorilla George who is his friend, the Rock (Dwayne Johnson for Susan) is enjoyable as usual as is George, a enjoyable slice Of monster movie that doesn't take itself seriously. 8/10

Now watching deer hunter.
Old 22nd August 2018, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Managed about an hour of deer hunter before I switched it off, can't say it isn't well acted but god it's boring, boring, boring boring, boring ,boring ,boring,boring boring, boring, boring! Did I mention how dull and boring it is,has to be one of the most overrated movies along with citizen Kane.
Old 22nd August 2018, 09:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Managed about an hour of deer hunter before I switched it off, can't say it isn't well acted but god it's boring, boring, boring boring, boring ,boring ,boring,boring boring, boring, boring! Did I mention how dull and boring it is,has to be one of the most overrated movies along with citizen Kane.

£30 saved then

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd August 2018, 09:04 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i often find that a lot of these Oscar winning films are so overated. i also remember the boredom of trying to watch this. and i would rather watch the Last Hunter for a more entertaining Vietnam film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!