All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2018, 01:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Wind River (2017)

Excellent modern day western set on the Wind River Indian reservation in Wyoming. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen play a wildlife tracker and FBI agent attempting to solve the murder of a young Indian woman six miles out in the frozen wastes from where she was last seen.

Written and directed by Taylor Sheridan this has similarities to the equally good Hell or High Water (2016) which he also wrote, in that it's portrayal of the American frontier (Snowy Wyoming in this and stifling Texas in Hell or High Water) bring the classic American western bang up to date, the only difference being trucks and snow mobiles taking the place of horses. A world that feels cut off from the cityscapes of modern day New York, L.A. and so on. This is hostile territory that completely suffocates the characters. Jeremy Renner is excellent as the hard bitten tracker using the murder to come to terms with loss he himself had endured and Elizabeth Olsen is also more than decent as the rookie Fed. It was also good to see Graham Greene pop up in a meaty role as sheriff of the reservation.

Wind River has a beautiful slow burn feel to it, the story gradually unfolds rather than hitting you over the head, giving the characters time to breathe. It's also a very gritty and grim piece, with occasional bursts of strong violence, immersing the viewer in a haze of atmospheric bleakness. A bleakness helped no end by some stunning cinematography and a deliciously moody score from Nick Cave and Warren Ellis.

Highly recommended.
Nice review Dem. I watched this a few weeks back. Excellent film and a new favourite snowbound film.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd September 2018, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Catriona's English, not Italian, Paul.
i meant queen of Italian horror cinema Demdike. i didn't word that right. sorry.
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd September 2018, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Nice review Dem. I watched this a few weeks back. Excellent film and a new favourite snowbound film.
Thanks, J.

It is a new snowbound favourite with me as well.

Have you seen Deadfall with Eric Bana? I recommend that as well. Lots of lovely snow...and of course sadistic violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
i meant queen of Italian horror cinema Demdike. i didn't word that right. sorry.
No worries, Paul. Thought i'd mention it as a fascinating fact if you did think she was actually Italian.

You know they say you learn something new every day? Well, that wasn't it.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 3rd September 2018, 03:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Thanks, J.

It is a new snowbound favourite with me as well.

Have you seen Deadfall with Eric Bana? I recommend that as well. Lots of lovely snow...and of course sadistic violence.
No I've not. Not sure I've even heard of it. I'll have a look.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd September 2018, 04:02 PM
Cult Veteran

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Avengers: Infinity War.

Well I liked it.

I don’t think that I did but I’m gonna give it another chance haha.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2018, 04:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Future Shock: The Story of 2000 AD
Documentary about the rise and popularity of the Galaxy's greatest comic. With interviews from Pat Mills, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, Brian Bolland and Scott Ian.
A great little documentary and one I've been meaning to watch (especially being a fan since I was a kid). What really interested me was the fact it didn't gloss over any negatives. It's just a shame they never interviewed Alan Moore.
One I'd recommend.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I bought this despite being a complete 2000AD novice and I really enjoyed it. I get the feeling that Moore declined the offer to take part. I may have made that up though!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2018, 05:18 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I bought this despite being a complete 2000AD novice and I really enjoyed it. I get the feeling that Moore declined the offer to take part. I may have made that up though!
Well it is possible, it's just strange considering that they talk about him quite a bit.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 3rd September 2018, 07:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Old 37 (2015)

Two brothers intercept 911 calls in a beat up old ambulance to torture and kill helpless victims.

Had the film stuck to the basic but original premise above then we could have had a truly fine piece of exploitation cinema. Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder, who when masked looks truly fearsome, play the brothers with an interesting back story as to how they ended up serial killers on the back roads, but the film doesn't really get stuck into the nitty gritty, it's as if the film makers were holding back from producing a truly horrifying slice off shock cinema.

One or two moments of strong gore and some genuinely frightening sequences, as well as the premise that the only people who can save you should you end up in a car accident are the ones most likely to slaughter you, gives an air of proper foreboding and uneasy dread but it should have gone further. Moseley and Hodder are great at this type of thing but the film chooses to centre on some obnoxious rich kids instead, focusing on pointless teen drama instead of visceral thrills. If only Rob Zombie had made this film.

It ends up kind of enjoyable but the fact the director is credited as Alan Smithee should tell you all you need to know.

Known as Death Call In the UK.
Old 3rd September 2018, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Old 37 (2015)

Two brothers intercept 911 calls in a beat up old ambulance to torture and kill helpless victims.

Had the film stuck to the basic but original premise above then we could have had a truly fine piece of exploitation cinema. Bill Moseley and Kane Hodder, who when masked looks truly fearsome, play the brothers with an interesting back story as to how they ended up serial killers on the back roads, but the film doesn't really get stuck into the nitty gritty, it's as if the film makers were holding back from producing a truly horrifying slice off shock cinema.

One or two moments of strong gore and some genuinely frightening sequences, as well as the premise that the only people who can save you should you end up in a car accident are the ones most likely to slaughter you, gives an air of proper foreboding and uneasy dread but it should have gone further. Moseley and Hodder are great at this type of thing but the film chooses to centre on some obnoxious rich kids instead, focusing on pointless teen drama instead of visceral thrills. If only Rob Zombie had made this film.

It ends up kind of enjoyable but the fact the director is credited as Alan Smithee should tell you all you need to know.

Known as Death Call In the UK.

I watched this last year and thought it was utter shite, waste of two decent enough genre actors IMO
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd September 2018, 11:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Wish. 2018

After his wife and daughter are attacked in a home invasion, Dr Paul Kersey becomes a one man vigilante.

From watching previous Eli Roth movies as Cabin Fever, Hostel, this was mild to what I was expecting from him with blood and gore although there is some sadistic torture. Forget Willis and his previous action movies, with his mannerisms as to using a gun I'm surprised he never shot his own foot off.

Not many remakes are passable to be better than the original but this was decent movie, with some decent dialogue and filmed at a good pace, Vincent D'Onofrio and Dean Norris have good supporting roles. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg death-wish.jpg (27.7 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!