Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2018, 09:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Truth or Dare

Latest from blumhouse pictures, a bunch of teens spend spring break in Mexico & play a game of truth or dare which follows them home with murderous results.

A mix of Final Destination, It Follows and Pretty Little Liars, this is a boring film. Lots of pretty people getting very emotional over secrets, who's sleeping with who & if they're going to be BFF's forever.

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS ARE NOT SCARY!!!!!!!

Anyhooo.......a begrudging 2/10, wish it would have been better, the old slasher movies didn't have all this angst but now we've got to stop & describe how we feel and why every 5 minutes.

Empire got it right when they said this would be good as a "my first horror movie".

Avoid!
Old 7th September 2018, 09:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

I turned it off after like 20 minutes.
Old 7th September 2018, 10:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Meg.

Went to see this at the pictures last night with the Mrs.

Definitely inspired by the popularity of SciFi channel movies like Sharknado et al, the dialogue, the style of acting, and the set and prop designs all reminded me of the creature feature action movies of the 80s - The state of the art equipment on show, the characters working for good causes such as advances in research and knowledge, the capitalist boss man hoping to make big money, the hero who was the best but following disaster and heartbreak is now washed up and past it (but goddammit he’s the best we’ve got!), the child who is on location for God knows what reason and is the only person the hero is nice to, the love interest who hates the hero but is slowly being won over, the disaster, the double cross, the lack of help from proper authorities who leave our team to deal with the entire thing on their own....etc etc.

If Mark Kermode were to do a “Secrets of cinema” episode on movies such as these then I reckon the Meg could be the one he’d keep referring back to in terms of cliches and the formulaic way it was all played out.

For me, The Meg ticked all the boxes. It was a fantastic bit of escapism. It was exciting, it was funny and it also had moments where it was touching. If you go see it, don’t try to nail it down or compare it against classics such as Jaws. Just accept it for what it is and I think you’ll happily enjoy it. I left the cinema last night exhilarated by it, laughing and talking about it all the way home. Surely that’s what cinema was made for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 7th September 2018, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

REC 3/GENESIS AND REC 4/APOCALYPSE.

I can't help but feel that the third one was The weakest yet. It has some stand out moments like the bride kicking ass but its just more of the same... With one glaring exception which cripples the movie. The found footage format is gone, which wouldn't normally be a bad thing if they wanted to experiment a bit combined with a good plot but everything feels half baked. Even the zombies, which by this point is established can run, just lumber around. Why? If they could run before why not now? Even with the found footage gone and btw I do like how they do that though: guy with the camera is like "people have a right to know" BOOM camera destroyed. I can buy the video team in the original saying that but not this random guy although he at least gets stopped from saying that same line literally immediately. I think if they stayed true to the tone of the original then it would have been better. I have to say I was kind of dreading watching Apocalypse in case it was a case of just watching how the mighty REC franchise has fallen but thankfully they redeemed themselves-

The fourth and final (?) REC film proves to be the best sequel of the bunch. The original and this, if I had to suggest a sequel, are the ones I would truly recommend to any fan. REC 2 was good, it even starts off Halloween II/Hatchet II style by picking up where the first one let off which I'm a fan of, but it had its faults. The SWAT stuff was good and it was a neat idea to have us watching it from their attached cameras (saves the whole "we're still filming because people have a right to know" line that gets repeated in lots of these found footage movies) but the kids that sneak in especially feel like expendable meat. What was their purpose? They get inside, mull around for a bit, then get locked in a room with an infected zombie by the SWAT team and presumably die. They are never heard from again. Also whilst Angela is back, she isn't given much to do besides whimpering all the time. What a waste of characters, a flaw the original doesn't have. REC 3 isn't exactly a really bad film but its a major step down from the heights of the first and even the second.

But this re-established REC as a serious franchise by going back to its roots. Its not found footage but its dark, gritty and has a very good plot. That alone compensates for changing filming style, I'd rather have a good REC film than one filmed as a found footage film which sucks. Angela is back in force this time and she gives her best performance yet. Remember how she got the parasite in her? Well that helps the film because they have to pin her down to get it out again as a cure, except she's not willing to let them operate on her. Proper plot development right there and you can sympathise with both sides because as far as she knows she doesn't know if she did get infected because of memory loss. The zombies run again thank Christ and are actually threatening again. I love how they corrected that and all their other mistakes from the previous instalment, even adding in more tension when they have a time limit to escape the ship. I knew that this was better than the last two even before the amazing twist that I genuinely did not see coming and I can't reveal without classing it as a spoiler, don't look at this if you haven't seen it
SPOILER:
Guzman was the one infected all along, not Angela, the parasite passed through to him at the start. Brilliant and it took me completely by surprise.

So yeah if I had to rank them out of 10-

REC - 10
REC 2 - 6
REC: GENESIS - 3
REC: APOCALYPSE- 8
Old 7th September 2018, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Scars of Dracula.

Count Dracula(Christopher Lee) is resurrected once again, this time by a bat dripping blood onto his remains. later the villages lay siege to his castle after a young kill is killed in the village, but setting fire to his castle is a total waste of time and they pay heavily for it.

this is one of the last Dracula films in a period setting and quite underrated. A young Dennis Waterman stars as a chap who is searching for his missing brother, Paul, who was last seen heading off to Castle Dracula in search of a room for the night.

What i like about this film is that Dracula is given more screen time than usual, when normally he rarely makes an apperance in a lot of the other films. and despite some hilarious scenes with rubber bats on strings, this is quite a gory and brutal film, with Dracula viscously stabbing young girls to death and torturing poor klove his devoted man servant played by the chap out the Omen, with a red hot sword.

very entertaining film indeed that moves at a good pace and is suspenseful and a essential purchase for Hammer fans. Christopher Lee is as imposing as ever as the Count, and actress Janey Hanley is very appealing too. 89.8 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scars-of-Dracula-1-1400x833.jpg (19.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th September 2018, 08:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Walkabout(1971).

Beautifully shot story about a brother and sister abandoned in the Australian outback after their father takes them on a picnic and commits suicide. And of their hopes of getting back to civilization after getting lost in the inhospitable wilderness which they would surely die from without the help of a young Aborigine who is doing a Walkabout as part of a tribal custom.

The stunningly beautiful Jenny Agutter plays the unworldly and naive schoolgirl sister who has to come to terms with her new
environment, and gives a superb performance.

Directed By Nicolas Roeg, this is a slow but gripping tale about the struggle between man and nature, in a film that doesn't
flinch from the harshness of the landscape in its depiction of animal cruelty.

The cinematography is superb as well, as is the soundtrack.
Highly recommended. 7.5/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81ZT3gBy4kL._SX342_.jpg (28.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th September 2018, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Under The Cherry Moon (1986)

One of the stranger 'rock star' films imho.
Prince and his boyfriend ponce around Nice trying to seduce unaware femmes of their moolah. As Regan would say (whilst swigging from a bottle of Teachers) "Get yer trousers on you are NICKED MY SAHN"
Stop whispering as well P!! The songs flit about. An English rose comes between our pair. Yes, it really is that dynamic
Funnier than the Kiss movie.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 8th September 2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 7th September 2018, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Walkabout(1971).

Beautifully shot story about a brother and sister abandoned in the Australian outback after their father takes them on a picnic and commits suicide. And of their hopes of getting back to civilization after getting lost in the inhospitable wilderness which they would surely die from without the help of a young Aborigine who is doing a Walkabout as part of a tribal custom.

The stunningly beautiful Jenny Agutter plays the unworldly and naive schoolgirl sister who has to come to terms with her new
environment, and gives a superb performance.

Directed By Nicolas Roeg, this is a slow but gripping tale about the struggle between man and nature, in a film that doesn't
flinch from the harshness of the landscape in its depiction of animal cruelty.

The cinematography is superb as well, as is the soundtrack.
Highly recommended. 7.5/10.
I still can't quite believe that I got to see this at school. And Kes .
Regardless. A Film.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th September 2018, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Scars of Dracula.

Count Dracula(Christopher Lee) is resurrected once again, this time by a bat dripping blood onto his remains. later the villages lay siege to his castle after a young kill is killed in the village, but setting fire to his castle is a total waste of time and they pay heavily for it.

this is one of the last Dracula films in a period setting and quite underrated. A young Dennis Waterman stars as a chap who is searching for his missing brother, Paul, who was last seen heading off to Castle Dracula in search of a room for the night.

What i like about this film is that Dracula is given more screen time than usual, when normally he rarely makes an apperance in a lot of the other films. and despite some hilarious scenes with rubber bats on strings, this is quite a gory and brutal film, with Dracula viscously stabbing young girls to death and torturing poor klove his devoted man servant played by the chap out the Omen, with a red hot sword.

very entertaining film indeed that moves at a good pace and is suspenseful and a essential purchase for Hammer fans. Christopher Lee is as imposing as ever as the Count, and actress Janey Hanley is very appealing too. 89.8 out of 100.
Review.
The 'chap' was also DOCTOR WHO at one point
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
Old 7th September 2018, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

One problem with Scars of Dracula is Hammer bungled the Dracula crawl shot.

Fair play for them for putting it in the film...But they have him crawl up the outside wall...Not down it as he's supposed to.
Demoncrat, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!