Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th September 2018, 11:43 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Don't think that i've ever seen that one before.
But i always like to balance my horror film watching with comedy every now and again as well
It's on a Drive-In Cult Classics box set from the now defunct BCI Eclipse. The sets have been reissued by Mill Creek under different titles though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drivein-cult-classics-vol-3-dv.jpg (95.9 KB, 6 views)
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th September 2018, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Some for sci-fi September

8.5/10

7/10

7/10

Now watching star trek the motion picture
Old 11th September 2018, 09:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A GHOST STORY – Man rises from dead as sheet ghost, hankers after still living wife – that’s about it. ‘A Ghost Story’ is genius, I really liked it. There’s only so much black humour you can wring out of the forlorn figure of (ultimate horror cliché) the sheet ghost, but to its credit ‘A Ghost Story’ isn’t about that. It’s about numbed emotions and endless, awful sadness – a terminally empty barrel of laughs, then, although there are a few funerary rattlings along the way to leaven the despair. The film has a formal as well as an existential minimalism about it, a good looking sparseness to match the long silences and shots of figures just standing there, staring into the holes where their lives once were. Fave bit has to be the scene where bereaved lady eats a pie in angry, awkward silence over about five minutes. I’m not joking, that was mesmerising, and kind of summed up the rest of the film for me. Not a genre piece, and a film that will test your patience if you’re in the mood for straightforward entertainment. But if you’re looking to be perplexed and dumbfounded as to how a film this weird made it out of the relative mainstream, then go ahead, it’s a bona fide ‘cult classic’ of years to come.

SOME KIND OF HATE – Moody gothic type stabs his school bully and ends up in a hippy rehab centre out in the desert. The ghost of a former pupil wants to use him to exact revenge on her killers. ‘Some Kind of Hate’ is pretty good, but I found myself gradually tiring of it. It started promisingly, and seemed to boil up a good degree of tension whilst exploring some ‘difficult themes’. Then it seemed to take a dive into the usual territory i.e aforementioned murder victim, back from the dead and after revenge… no problems with that thematically, it’s just that the relatively ‘heightened’ horror stuff seemed less intense than the dramatic build up. Well put together though, and absorbing enough in places.

THE BONEYARD – Back to the nineties with this little known zombie flick. I think I caught it ages ago on of those budget UK labels… Hardgore, maybe. It didn’t make much of an impression back then, but I really quite liked it when I checked out the 88 Films version – probably I’m just so shallow that improving the pq actually enhances the movie full stop for me. Anyway, it’s basically an undead siege scenario that plays out in a morgue with cops and a psychic. It’s post-‘Reanimator’ / the 80s, so there are a couple of stabs at humour, but the underlying theme is morbid i.e connected with the risen corpses of children, and this comes across through the visuals – those zombie kids are really creepy. There’s also a big zombie poodle. Maybe the early nineties clunkiness stops any real darkness from taking root, but in many ways it’s well made and well-considered. Worth checking out.

GREMLIN’S CURSE – Not sure about the awkward title… or the movie, for that matter. Actually, no, I quite liked it, although it won’t be everyone’s cup of tea unless they’re into attempts to merge Sci-fi channel type schlock with dour family drama. Which is what I warmed to. It’s about a box that contains a small, havoc-wreaking monster – you’d want to get rid of it pretty quickly, but the only way is to pass it on to a loved one (don’t ask me why, and I’m sure the makers don’t have an answer either). In this case, the box lands in a dysfunctional family and the predictable happens – to the films credit, it doesn’t skimp on death. Direction, editing, music are all flatly TV-esque, but there is a nastiness at work in places – i.e scene in which screaming kid witnesses little beast burrowing out of dead mother’s stomach. All this is enough to make it seem slightly odd, therefore interesting.

INCIDENT IN A GHOSTLAND – From the director of ‘Martyrs’. A mother and two kids relocate to a relative’s old, gothic house and are plunged into a nightmare when two freakos with a shared doll fetish gatecrash the show… not saying any more ‘cos it’ll spoil the slightly hackneyed ‘twist’ lurking round the corner that upends the narrative of the film’s first half. I was well up for IIAG, being a fan of ‘Martyrs’ and Laugier’s stuff in general, and of course whenever he puts anything out there’s a lot of murmuring about whether it’ll be a ‘return to form’, which is a bit unfair I think as everything gets pre-judged in a way. Inevitably, it doesn’t stun the way ‘Martyrs’ did and still does, but the horror is more concentrated, or maybe just more brutal, than in ‘The Tall Man’, his previous feature. Visually it’s strong, and from my point of view it doesn’t hurt that it’s crammed full of weird dolls – yes, what a sucker for cliché I am. As is Laugier, apparently, because I have to say that IIAG, stripped to the core, isn’t dissimilar to a lot of latter day genre product. It may wear its ‘art’ on its sleeve, but beneath the groovy phantasmagoria of the film’s overstuffed visuals it’s basically about two murderous dudes terrorising some kids. I liked it, and it works because Laugier has panache and flair, but I wouldn’t blame others for being less enthusiastic
Old 11th September 2018, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night of The Demons 2009.

1925 Broussard Mansion, a Maid unleashed Demons, to escape the fate she killed herself. 85 years later Teen Angela throws a party in the house and the demons awake.

This is a remake of the 1989 movie of the same title, but best stick to the original, unless you wanna see Shannon Elizabeth (Nadia from American Pie) getting a bit frisky with another girl and Edward Furlong trying to recover his career after having personal problems.

Probably the only the only thing that does help this one is the soundtrack and the special effects of the demons but the acting does seem to be more wooden that even pinnochio would be insulted. 4 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qUvx2qxohVMF2RE0DHT5tls0XmT.jpg (37.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 11th September 2018, 09:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

INCIDENT IN A GHOSTLAND – From the director of ‘Martyrs’. A mother and two kids relocate to a relative’s old, gothic house and are plunged into a nightmare when two freakos with a shared doll fetish gatecrash the show… not saying any more ‘cos it’ll spoil the slightly hackneyed ‘twist’ lurking round the corner that upends the narrative of the film’s first half. I was well up for IIAG, being a fan of ‘Martyrs’ and Laugier’s stuff in general, and of course whenever he puts anything out there’s a lot of murmuring about whether it’ll be a ‘return to form’, which is a bit unfair I think as everything gets pre-judged in a way. Inevitably, it doesn’t stun the way ‘Martyrs’ did and still does, but the horror is more concentrated, or maybe just more brutal, than in ‘The Tall Man’, his previous feature. Visually it’s strong, and from my point of view it doesn’t hurt that it’s crammed full of weird dolls – yes, what a sucker for cliché I am. As is Laugier, apparently, because I have to say that IIAG, stripped to the core, isn’t dissimilar to a lot of latter day genre product. It may wear its ‘art’ on its sleeve, but beneath the groovy phantasmagoria of the film’s overstuffed visuals it’s basically about two murderous dudes terrorising some kids. I liked it, and it works because Laugier has panache and flair, but I wouldn’t blame others for being less enthusiastic
Is this out on dvd, Mr. T?
Old 11th September 2018, 09:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is this out on dvd, Mr. T?
Yeah, weirdly it's on Arrow - didn't think they did much contemporary horror.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, weirdly it's on Arrow - didn't think they did much contemporary horror.
They release a few each year. More than you'd probably expect but they don't announce announcements for them like they do with their 'special shit'. They aren't quite up there with 101 Films when it comes to releasing dross though.

Having said that they do a good range of Nic Cage straight to dvd shite.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
They release a few each year. More than you'd probably expect but they don't announce announcements for them like they do with their 'special shit'. They aren't quite up there with 101 Films when it comes to releasing dross though.
I guess they did 'The Endless' fairly recently as well. Well, 'Incident in a Ghostland' probably doesn't cut it as 'special shit' in anyone's video-toilet, but it works if you have a soft spot for the director. Other than that, it'd be lining the shelves at Asda if not for its illustrious publishers.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I guess they did 'The Endless' fairly recently as well. Well, 'Incident in a Ghostland' probably doesn't cut it as 'special shit' in anyone's video-toilet, but it works if you have a soft spot for the director. Other than that, it'd be lining the shelves at Asda if not for its illustrious publishers.
From your review it sounds pretty damn decent...just not twelve quid blind buy decent.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th September 2018, 09:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Silent Rage. A mad scientists uses a wonder drug designed to speed up the body's natural healing to be basically automatic on a fatally wounded psycho killer. Hmm, now I'm not a scientist, but even I can see the potential flaw in that plan. Needless to say, he's soon up and killing - and only Chuck Norris can stop him! Very silly but pretty entertaining mid 80s action-horror hybrid, only slightly spoiled by a really annoying female lead and a somewhat anticlimactic ending.

Like this? Share it using the links below!