Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th September 2018, 10:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Amazon Women on the Moon. Mildly amusing late 80s skit comedy.
Old 14th September 2018, 10:11 AM
Cult Master

'Night Of The Living Dead: Resurrection' (2012) truly is a poor film! You don't need me to tell you the plot. Just look at the films title, and I'm sure you can work it out - "The dead rise with a hunger for living flesh, and cities are soon overrun. A family flees from the carnage and takes refuge in an isolated farmhouse"

There is some nice gore, (some) of the effects are passable, and there was a very unexpected plot twist about 20 minutes into the film which I admit caught me out and pulled the rug from under my feet, but other than that, there is very little to recommend in this film. The plot is hackneyed, direction is bad, editing is abysmal, sound is non-existent and the acting is woeful

To be honest, I stopped watching the film after about 40 minutes, and started to count the number of times daylight could be seen coming through the curtains during scenes set in the middle of the night

Acting awards go to the eyebrows of the guy on the left of the picture - they alone were able to distract me from everything else that was happening in the film!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th September 2018, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Antropophagus (1980)

Tedious by the numbers mix of stalk and slash and cannibal chiller in which Tisa Farrow is one of a group of holiday makers stranded on a remote Greek island with a flesh eating maniac (George Eastman)

This is really poor and for the first forty minutes plays out like a travelogue for Greek islands - Come sail the beautiful blue waters, wander the quaint streets, get eaten by a cannibal and f*ck a goat! (Sorry-wrong film).

The film lacks any sort of atmosphere save for Farrow wandering a dimly lit mansion with only a candle for light and the gore scenes whilst decent are few and far between. One or two scenes designed to shock are just comical. Take Serena Grandi hoisting a transparent bucket of water out of the sea and onto her boat. It's clear to see it's empty except for sea water, yet when Grandi looks into the bucket there's a bloody severed head staring lifelessly up at her. Then there's the final shot as dear old George eats his own innards. Was this stuff really so shocking in the 80's?

Sequel Absurd (1981) is slightly better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lQa81693JmUGfdzf8VKENi3ZHev.jpg (37.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 14th September 2018, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Gambling City.

Luca(Luc Merenda) is a street wise card shark who ends up working for the mafia, but gets into trouble when he falls for the boss's son's girlfriend Marie Luise.

A very enjoyable film indeed by director Sergio Martino who is one of my favorite directors of Italian giallos and action films. All the actors are very good too with nice chemistry betweem Luca and Marie Luise, who is actress Dayle Haddon from Flash gordon.

The only things i didn't like about the film was the soundtrack which sounded a bit comical and goofy at times, and the downbeat ending. but apart from that it is excellent and combines a good story with action and romance. and i rate it 79.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500px-Gambling_City-P38-4.jpg (34.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th September 2018, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I have to say that i thought Anthropophagus was much better than Absurd.
It has loads of atmosphere especially in the creepy caves were George Eastman
stores all the dead bodies. and i love the part on the boat were Zora kerova has
the tarot cards and throws them into the water when she predicts their fate.
and the soundtrack adds to the spooky atmos as well.
Old 14th September 2018, 11:43 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Antropophagus (1980)
I don't really mind the almost directionless plot and cheap effects because the somewhat confusing narrative makes the events even more inexplicable and affecting.

Because they didn't have a Tom Savini, they couldn't rival Friday the 13th or The Burning for gore effects and seemed to be playing catch up with their American counterparts. It is a shame there isn't enough atmosphere or tension to make up for the unconvincing practical effects and occasional clumsy execution because the film could have been much better with a more skilled director – look at George Romero did with very little money when he made Night of the Living Dead, using innovative camera angles, monochrome photography and clever editing to emphasise the growing tension and horror.

Like you, I prefer Absurd.
Old 14th September 2018, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
I have to say that i thought Anthropophagus was much better than Absurd.
It has loads of atmosphere especially in the creepy caves were George Eastman
stores all the dead bodies.
Yes this is fine...it just doesn't kick in until the last fifteen minutes. The rest is tiresome nothingness.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 14th September 2018, 01:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't really mind the almost directionless plot and cheap effects because the somewhat confusing narrative makes the events even more inexplicable and affecting.

Because they didn't have a Tom Savini, they couldn't rival Friday the 13th or The Burning for gore effects and seemed to be playing catch up with their American counterparts. It is a shame there isn't enough atmosphere or tension to make up for the unconvincing practical effects and occasional clumsy execution because the film could have been much better with a more skilled director – look at George Romero did with very little money when he made Night of the Living Dead, using innovative camera angles, monochrome photography and clever editing to emphasise the growing tension and horror.

Like you, I prefer Absurd.
Have you seen Humungous?

It's basically the same plot except it's set in pitch darkness and swaps Eastman for a demonic baby type thing. It's far more atmospheric than Anthropophagus.

Scorpion released it several years ago as part of Katarina's Nightmare Theater. No idea if it's out on blu.
Old 14th September 2018, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm not an Anthro fan either, I am partial to Absurd though, even though it is obviously rubbish I love the scene with the obviously Italian cast in an obviously Italian house pretending to be American and watching the American Football on the TV It's probably supposed to be the Super Bowl I guess?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th September 2018, 02:44 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen Humungous?

It's basically the same plot except it's set in pitch darkness and swaps Eastman for a demonic baby type thing. It's far more atmospheric than Anthropophagus.

Scorpion released it several years ago as part of Katarina's Nightmare Theater. No idea if it's out on blu.
I haven't seen it, but it sounds like something I'd thoroughly enjoy. Many thanks for the recommendation.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!