Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th September 2018, 04:22 PM
Active Cultist

I saw The Predator last night. The first hour and a bit is a joyous Shane Black/Fred Dekker romp filled with constant ultraviolence and quotably vulgar dialogue, bolstered by a strong cast that's clearly having a great time.

Third act is sadly a lot more mundane (I'm gonna go ahead and blame studio-mandated reshoots for that), and the CGI needed more time in the oven. Also I'm sure the subplot concerning the autistic child will prove very divisive.

Still a fun time overall, though.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Doc View Post
I saw The Predator last night. The first hour and a bit is a joyous Shane Black/Fred Dekker romp filled with constant ultraviolence and quotably vulgar dialogue, bolstered by a strong cast that's clearly having a great time.

Third act is sadly a lot more mundane (I'm gonna go ahead and blame studio-mandated reshoots for that), and the CGI needed more time in the oven. Also I'm sure the subplot concerning the autistic child will prove very divisive.

Still a fun time overall, though.
Where would you rank it in terms of the other three purely Predator films?
Old 14th September 2018, 06:15 PM
Active Cultist

It's been a while since I rewatched the others, but at the moment I think it's better than Predators and almost on par with Predator 2, but still a ways away from the original.

I do want to go through them all again in order at some point, so that might change!
Old 14th September 2018, 06:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Doc View Post
It's been a while since I rewatched the others, but at the moment I think it's better than Predators and almost on par with Predator 2, but still a ways away from the original.

I do want to go through them all again in order at some point, so that might change!
I didn't rate Predators at all. It's not part of my collection anymore. I watched it twice and disliked it both times.
TJ Doc likes this.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A Taste of Excitement(1969).

Intriguing mystery type thriller with a touch of espionage set in the south of France.
Eve Renzi, from The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, plays Jane, a young woman on holiday who is targetted for murder after inadvertently getting mixed up in a political plot.

Directed by Don Sharp who has a couple of Hammer films to his credit, this is a pretty decent effort. It's got great locations and a nice opening sequence where Jane, in her Mini Cooper, is being chased by a mysterious white Mercedes on the dangerous mountain roads.

Well worth a watch, and with plenty of suspense and plot twists. 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51Rre6Egn6L._SY445_.jpg (23.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th September 2018, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post

Intriguing mystery type thriller with a touch of espionage set in the south of France.
Eve Renzi, from The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, plays Jane, a young woman on holiday who is targetted for murder after inadvertently getting mixed up in a political plot.

Directed by Don Sharp who has a couple of Hammer films to his credit, this is a pretty decent effort. It's got great locations and a nice opening sequence where Jane, in her Mini Cooper, is being chased by a mysterious white Mercedes on the dangerous mountain roads.

Nice to see a fellow fan of this. Most people haven't heard of it let alone seen it.

Pretty sure the Odeon dvd we both own (presuming you do own it and not just posted a pic) is out of print.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

Sold then.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th September 2018, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Nice to see a fellow fan of this. Most people haven't heard of it let alone seen it.

Pretty sure the Odeon dvd we both own (presuming you do own it and not just posted a pic) is out of print.
It was a total blind buy, Dem. What interested me initially was that it starred Eve Renzi, so i gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised.

And i bought the DVD off Amazon last year. Maybe still available.
keirarts likes this.
Old 14th September 2018, 07:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Only 8?

Watch it again ... tonight

Cloak gotten

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th September 2018, 07:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It was a total blind buy, Dem. What interested me initially was that it starred Eve Renzi, so i gave it a go and was pleasantly surprised.

And i bought the DVD off Amazon last year. Maybe still available.
I bought two as blind buys a few years ago for a fiver for the two at a time when Odeon couldn't give away some of their stuff.

My criteria wasn't Eve Renzi, it was obscure British thrillers. Suspicion is an 80's remake of the Hitchcock thriller. Tis very good as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF6008 (Large).jpg (96.4 KB, 13 views)
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!