Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179015Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2018, 11:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I really like this one. Fairly sure it's directed by J.P Simon who made pieces.
someone named Carlos Puento is credited as the director, but maybe that's a pseudonim. i do know that JP Simon is the producer.
But it's still a great effort whoever directed it
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 16th September 2018, 12:48 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
tcm_beg.jpg

A blonde draft dodger and a dark-haired vet with nightmares drive through the more rural parts of the redneck south of the US of A. A local butchery fails the latest test of the public health department and its main butcher, Mr. Hewitt, loses his job. As his family is pretty poor, they are suddenly in desperate need of new meat supplies. Our two capons are accompanied by two chicks with nice drumsticks, breasts and wings, and therefore the Hewitt family immediately has plans for Sunday dinner.

Over the course of time, our dark-haired friend needs more than just a hand, and our blonde sissy has a severe bellyache. What happens to their girlfriends? Who's the big fat cow who has tea with grandma? And who in the world would use the remastered version of Free's All Right Now?
Visit your local butchery and find out.

---

A well-paced little piece of terror cinema with pretty good cinematography and a fair amount of limbs and blood. Enjoy the uncut version with a crate of lager and some chicken wings.

(best rating: four stars)

Last edited by Prince_Vajda; 16th September 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 16th September 2018, 01:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Love Witch (2016)

Elaine (Samantha Robinson), a beautiful young witch, is determined to find a man to love her. In her Gothic Victorian apartment she makes spells and potions, then picks up men and seduces them. However, her spells work too well, with often disastrous results.

Anna Biller, this films director, writer, editor and producer is a unique talent. Her feature debut Viva (2007) was quite superb in the way it blended sexploitation ala Russ Meyer into a 70's suburban housewife sexual revolution. However i didn't feel The Love Witch quite worked as well. Yes it's clearly a playful reworking of sixties and seventies Occult horror films with a heavy dose of gender politics thrown in, but it never quite hit the mark. The scenes of wicked witchery and Occult ceremony didn't really go far enough in comparison to the films it spoofed and although i often sported a smile i never once came close to laughing at the comedy aspects.

Samantha Robinson was excellent as the witch but the whole feminist aspect and metaphors felt very heavy handed and in the age of the #Metoo movement seemed so preachy in it's way of putting men in their place albeit in a playful way.

What can't be denied is Biller's style behind the camera. The film looks gorgeous, full of vivid colours in stunning Technicolor palettes. Yet even the setting came over as slightly confusing as it placed characters clearly from, as well as dressed, in the seventies into a contemporary small town America setting, meaning that unlike Viva it felt more like a nostalgic exercise in style over substance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARTEL.jpg (90.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th September 2018, 02:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I was very intrigued by the Love witch, with the gorgeous colour scheme and 70s style. but a lot of the reviews have been terrible for it and the fact that it drags on for two hours.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th September 2018, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
I was very intrigued by the Love witch, with the gorgeous colour scheme and 70s style. but a lot of the reviews have been terrible for it and the fact that it drags on for two hours.
Had it actually been as exploitative as the films that influence it then it would have been very good but it really does play it safe. Oh and yes, it's far too long.
Old 16th September 2018, 06:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dragonflies(2001).

Starring Kim Bodnia, from the Scandinavian drama The Bridge, as Eddie, a bearded middle aged guy who is married to a young girl and lives in a remote Norwegian region living a quiet life. But their idyllic lifestyle comes to an end when Eddie's past catches up with him after his former partner in crime turns up and causes trouble within their marriage.

The film is very slow moving but has a well developed plot about jealousy and revenge that holds your attention throughout it's melancholic atmosphere.

Kim Bodnia gives an excellent performance as Eddie as does Maria Bonnevie who plays the role of his wife.

Well worth a watch if you want an alternative to the rubbish turned out by Hollywood lately 7/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51ME1427GDL._SY445_.jpg (27.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 16th September 2018, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ouija Exorcism. 2015

In 1984, the son of a rabbi plays with a Ouija board and releases a demon and banishes it back. Several years later the demon in freed.

Don't expect this to be a big budget movie cos it ain't, the actors in this I don't recognise and it's probably damaged their future in the movie business.

The plot of the movie was OK it's a bit like the film The Possession but instead of a box it's a very badly black burnt board. The story is shown with flashbacks with laughable non missable goofs and errors and very dark light that watching in the dark doesn't help, it's OK for background noise but that's about It. 2 out of 10...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (10.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th September 2018, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning (2006)
Attachment 209039

A blonde draft dodger and a dark-haired vet with nightmares drive through the more rural parts of the redneck south of the US of A. A local butchery fails the latest test of the public health department and its main butcher, Mr. Hewitt, loses his job. As his family is pretty poor, they are suddenly in desperate need of new meat supplies. Our two capons are accompanied by two chicks with nice drumsticks, breasts and wings, and therefore the Hewitt family immediately has plans for Sunday dinner.

Over the course of time, our dark-haired friend needs more than just a hand, and our blonde sissy has a severe bellyache. What happens to their girlfriends? Who's the big fat cow who has tea with grandma? And who in the world would use the remastered version of Free's All Right Now?
Visit your local butchery and find out.

---

A well-paced little piece of terror cinema with pretty good cinematography and a fair amount of limbs and blood. Enjoy the uncut version with a crate of lager and some chicken wings.

(best rating: four stars)
Capons . Kudos Prince

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Likes all round then!!

Body Puzzle (1992, Lamberto Bava)
So now I can say I've seen two films with St Bernards in them
Joanna Pacula lives in Italy. With her doggie. A local whose take on 'gifting' bears shades of Ed Gein has fixated on her for some reason .... could it have been anything to do with the rather soggy opening sequence? Settle in for a rollicking ride as the last giallo in town flutters its flag on high. Red herrings? Check ... Obscure motives? Tick! Whilst there are some gaping flaws and the image of Colin Farrell playing Eddie Shoestring never quite escaped from my mind, I enjoyed this unlike .....

Blood Hook (1986, David Mallon)
AVOID this rather draaaawn out wee number. Badly plotted, directed and acted 'horror' film that had a premise that someone like Jeff Lieberman would have made a snappy 85 minuter out of. Dream about that film instead

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th September 2018, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The nun

Looks great. The film has a real Bava-esque look, with some psychedelic background lighting and impressive Gothic set design. There's also some very pointed references to Italian film-makers including one very noticeable homage to city of the living dead. I wanted to like this film far more than I did. I'm not the Conjuring's biggest fan and Annabelle (the first one at least) was a huge turd of the movie. For the most part though they do make decent theatrical experiences, even if they are ultimately very disposable.
The nun however is is beset with problems. There's not much plot to it. Not a big issue in itself as decent film-makers fall back on creating great atmosphere and suspense. The Nun however feels a little flat. There's very little suspense throughout and it at no point did I feel engaged. The other problem is some of the acting. Mainly the fella they hired to play 'Frenchie' who is absolutely terrible and almost single-handedly drags the whole film down. The only part I got engaged with was the finale, at that point they pretty much gave up and the film becomes very silly. I might pick it up when it appears in poundland or a charity shop (same thing I did with the other conjuring titles) but I wouldn't rush out for this.

The Predator

Another mess, however this was more entertaining. The Predator feels like the initial cut must have run well over the 2 hour mark at least and then was heavily re-edited. Someone pointed out to me that there appears to be several predators in the film and it looks like they cut it to look like there were 2. The regular predator and the big predator-hunter one. There's numerous glaring continuity issues and scenes that literally make no sense. Characters appear with small arsenals of weapons with no explanation. They also have a kid with Hollywood autism where its a superpower. I have autistic friends and while they are bright they're not Stephen hawking's much smarter brother. The editing is also terrible.

But...

Its actually fun. Shane Black delivers the goods with banter and carnage. It actually made me laugh in quite a few places. Its decidedly very un-pc without the usual internet nerd take on un-pc where they go full racist/sexist. It doesn't feel like at any point they are going PG-13 and the effects work is mostly ok. If you go in with expectations lowered the film may be an utter shambles from a technical perspective but its very watchable and silly. Better than either AVP film.

Read the predator was heavily cut. Edward James Olmos was in it but he was cut, heard it was supposed to be about 2 and half hours, maybe we will get the uncut version on blu ray. Cuts made for pacing and to lower the rating
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!