Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2018, 03:01 AM
Cult Addict

A quick rundown of stuff i've watched recently.

The Creeping flesh

creep.jpg

Bought that Mill Creek Triple Blu which features this,Torture garden and Brotherhood of Satan under the stupid banner title of Psycho Circus.
Pretty decent prints on all of 'em.

This is one of those oldies that seems like a Hammer production but is actually a Tigon job. I never really saw this much on T.v as a kid, so was coming to it fresh.
I liked it, good atmosphere and Cushing is great as usual, but it's not one of my favourites although if i grew up with it i'd probably like it more, still great to get a decent copy and much like the creeping flesh itself i'm sure it will grow on me.

7/10

Torture garden

torture-garden-movie-poster-1967-1020219936.jpg

The one Amicus anthology i never got round to watching, and probably my least favourite.
That's not to say it isn't entertaining, Burgess Meredith is always enjoyable to watch and most of the stories are o.k, the real stinker is one with a killer piano but this is made up for by the final story "The Man that collected Poe" featuring Cushing again and Jack palance which is really good.

A enjoyable watch but it didn't blow me away.

7/10

Count Dracula's great love

count-draculas-great-love-10.jpg

I like Paul Naschy films generally from what i've seen, they are usually cheesy but entertaining with a decent amount of blood and boobs.
In fact the only one i didn't like so far has been "Crimson/The man with the severed head".
This one i really enjoyed, Dracula's trying to find a virgin to fall in love with him (yer good luck with that mate.), but never fear for the most part this is non mushy and manages to get enough murders, vampire hobo's and sex into the
runtime to keep me interested.

8/10

Sleepwalker/ The Insomniac

MV5BODUyZmI5NWYtNjUxMS00OWQzLWJiNTktMjIzYjJmZmE1YzcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_.jpg

A couple of short films released together by the BFI, Sleepwalker is an early eighties cross between a social commentary and a slasher film, with two couples spending the night together arguing about 80's society and consumerism etc until bedtime and the murders begin.
This is stylishly shot at times, and nicely lit little film but in the end it doesn't really amount to much, but maybe i was expecting too much, it's an easy watch so it may well impress me more on further viewing.

The Insomniac i found intriguing and entertaining, a ponderous and slow at times little film that centres around an insomniac who is slowly losing his mind.
There are some nice shots here and everything feels slightly off kilter in the same way as some of those Hammer house of horror episodes.
I enjoyed this but found the ending a bit lacklustre.

So a couple of interesting short films about 50 mins each, both enjoyable up to a point but also slightly frustrating.

6/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th September 2018, 03:58 AM
Cult Addict

Other new watches.

A Judy Geeson double bill.

A candle for the devil.

a-candle-for-the-devil-british-quad-poster-by-tom-chantrell.jpg

A spanish film about a young woman who is punished for being a slut and killed by two bible bashing nutters who run a hotel.
The murdered girls sister (Judy Geeson) turns up to investigate as the female psycho's try to cover up the killing but end up going on a murder spree.
I enjoyed this, has that weird Spanish atmosphere and is suitably sleazy and bloody, with the killers being sanctimonious then shagging blokes in secret.

7/10

Goodbye Gemini

220px-Goodbye_Gemini.jpg

Here Judy is one half of a pair of twins who seem to exist in an isolated childlike world, everything is centred around them and their twisted, almost incestuous relationship.
We first meet then as they arrive in swinging London and proceed to kill off their housekeeper, leaving them in control of an old posh house and allows them to sink further into their isolation.

jacki-and-julien.jpg

Into this comes a Jack the lad Irish hipster guy who proceeds to play the twins off against each other and expose them to the swinging delights and cruelties of modern life.(at the time.)
This tips the balance sending the twins over the edge and eventually tears their lives apart.

This is a very interesting film, the parts are well played and the shots of 1970's London and atmosphere are great, the twins are often quite sinister together, but the film only really goes full on horror in a few moments, mostly it's a psychological drama.

Having said that i got really involved in the film and wasn't sure how it would play out, it seems to be unusually open about homosexuality for the time, although maybe because this is used as a plot point to advance the mental breakdown of one of the twins.

i'd never really heard much about this before but found it intriguing and was pleasantly surprised by this.
It was made by the same guy as "Dracula A.D 1972" and i'm guessing he probably got that gig on the back of this film and it's depiction of London and it's groovy inhabitants.
Also i know it's a long shot but i wonder if Cronenberg saw this, as the subject matter is linked and the surgeon clothes in "Dead ringers" remind me more of the sheets worn in GG's kill scene than normal surgical clothes.

vlcsnap-00016.jpg MV5BOGM3NjFiZDctZDQ2Zi00MDFiLTk4NmUtYjFiNDdiMmZjMmU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Recommended 8/10

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 17th September 2018, 08:37 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Torso.

A black gloved maniac in a ski mask is stalking and killing young girls who attend a college in Italy, with a black and red scarf holding the key to the killers identity.

This i think is director Sergio Martino's best giallo, eventhough i have enjoyed all his other films as well. What i like about this one is that it has a good pace and keeps you entertained throughout with great suspense scenes, especially in the woods and the final scenes set at the villa.
all the cast fit in well too, especially Suzy Kendall as Jane who gives an even better performance than she did for Dario argento, despite not getting her kit off like the rest of the sexy actresses in the film.

top notch stuff indeed, and with a very good soundtrack too that adds to the tension of this fantastic giallo. 91.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torso_0051.jpg (35.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th September 2018, 08:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

SOLD

AP has many many more delights. Enjoy!!
Ahem. This referred tae yr 'Turkish giallo' post nos
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th September 2018, 09:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Torso.

A black gloved maniac in a ski mask is stalking and killing young girls who attend a college in Italy, with a black and red scarf holding the key to the killers identity.

This i think is director Sergio Martino's best giallo, eventhough i have enjoyed all his other films as well. What i like about this one is that it has a good pace and keeps you entertained throughout with great suspense scenes, especially in the woods and the final scenes set at the villa.
all the cast fit in well too, especially Suzy Kendall as Jane who gives an even better performance than she did for Dario argento, despite not getting her kit off like the rest of the sexy actresses in the film.

top notch stuff indeed, and with a very good soundtrack too that adds to the tension of this fantastic giallo. 91.5 out of 100.
This is the Shameless BD? If so ...how does it look ta??
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th September 2018, 09:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Funny Man (1994, Simon Sprackling)
Say what you like about it, but I like this film. Does it work? Not really, though it does predate some tropes. I sit everytime imagining what went on on set. Like the sorely in need of a reissue Love Potion, this features a cast of also rans (and 'er from The Selecter ), overacting in a stately pile-for-hire. Then along comes Tim James as the titular character. Truly unique in British cinema ... he revels in slaughter and reaaally terrible puns in a way I haven't seen since. Is he scary? Sadly not. I find t'Barnsley accent quite endearing personally. Still enjoyed it again for all that.

[B]
Old 17th September 2018, 11:27 AM
Cultist

Watched quite a bit over the last week

Twins of Evil - 7/10

Decent later period Hammer horror with superb costume direction

Brides of Dracula - 7/10

Although it's one of the first Hammer vampire films I prefer some of the later ones like The Vampire Lovers etc The guy who plays the main vampire is shite. Peter Cushing is superb as always though.

Scream - 7/10

Not seen this in years, still decent, although the guy who plays Stu (Shaggy from Scooby Doo) is possibly the most annoying character in film history. Ever scene he's in you want to smash his overacting stupid face.

The 'Burbs. best Tom Hanks comedy film. "About a 9 on the tension scale Rube" Bruce Dern is great in it.

Rutger Hauer plays an alkie. Really nice film with Rutger, very little dialogue and many a flashback scene.

Got this on the trades page if anyone's after it.
Old 17th September 2018, 12:46 PM
Cult Master

'Night Of The Demons', directed by Kevin Tenney in 1988, is a trashy 'by-the-numbers' horror film

How trashy is it? Count the cliches with me while I give you a one sentence synopsis: "On Halloween [1], a group of teenagers [2] decide to have a party [3] in an old, decrepit house/ex-funeral parlour [4], where drinking and sex [5] leads to the spooky, Goth girl [6] suggesting that they hold a seance [7], resulting is a demon infestation [8] and bodily possession [9]"

That's 9 horror cliches in a single sentence!!!!!

For all it's faults, however, the film is FUN, and that is the main thing

It's a good tongue-in-cheek movie, which doesn't take itself seriously, and it reminded me a lot of Sam Raimi's debut picture

Linnea has a memorable introduction, takes her clothes off and does something unforgettable with a lipstick! The [practical] gore effect are good, limbs are lopped off and eyes gouged out with gay abandonment

OK, a lot of it doesn't make sense, but that doesn't matter - as I have said, it's a FUN film

My only complaint is that Anchor Bay used an awful cover on their DVD release, when the one used by Palace Pictures for their 1980's VHS was much better

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th September 2018, 04:02 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The film was just a bit lacking for me. I may rewatch it again. That nice Mr Barraclough etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of my favourite Hammer films as of 2018.
At least three and a half reasons why To The Devil A Daughter is more than just worth watching…

vlcsnap-00026.jpg vlcsnap-00019.jpg vlcsnap-00027.jpg

Old 17th September 2018, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Night Of The Demons', directed by Kevin Tenney in 1988, is a trashy 'by-the-numbers' horror film

How trashy is it? Count the cliches with me while I give you a one sentence synopsis: "On Halloween [1], a group of teenagers [2] decide to have a party [3] in an old, decrepit house/ex-funeral parlour [4], where drinking and sex [5] leads to the spooky, Goth girl [6] suggesting that they hold a seance [7], resulting is a demon infestation [8] and bodily possession [9]"
What are clliches now may well have been innovative in 1988.

Like this? Share it using the links below!