Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2018, 08:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
Evil Ed.

I watched the special Ed-ition blu Ray last night. Was pure trash. Like a trash version of Berberian Sound Studio. Don’t think I can really say much more than that about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was trying to think of a way to accurately describe it, I think you did it perfectly! I was going to get rid of my copy but am holding on to it as I havent watched the extras & I think it's going to go up in price like Raising Cane, lol!
keirarts and MuckyFunster like this.
Old 24th September 2018, 09:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyFunster View Post
No, I hadn’t. Lucky me! Lol. The first half hour or so was enjoyable, but after that it started to drag and just got a bit too silly. I was probably three quarters on my way to being canned, so I’m sure that helped a bit.

Not sure the film really merits a three disc limited edition release, but that’s, like, my opinion, man.

Attachment 209267

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see much difference between this and say The Lift or any other Dutch genre flick? Maybe it's me
MuckyFunster likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2018, 05:54 AM
Cult Addict

Mandy

In short... I dug it.

for a few more thoughts......

Mandy owes more than a little to the Acid fuelled Rock of the early eighties. Its chock full of LSD, Mutant bikers, Astrology and a plot ripped from the sword and sorcery stories that some Rock groups started lifting for their albums. Linus Roache essentially playing the dark sorcerer who summons his creatures to kidnap Red's wife Mandy. In a bid for revenge Red gets his bow and axe and goes hunting. The LSD cult is a throwback from the really bad shit that came out of the 60's. The cult are very much portrayed as a manson-like cult. Given there's an audio clip of Regans infamous moral majority speech near the start, and the cult have embraced a toxic form of Christianity, using the demonic biker gang, rendered genuinely inhuman, as their boogeyman. I do find myself wondering if there is a side-swipe as the christian crusade against rock music that we saw in the 80's. Both Red and Mandy being Rock fans (Mandy is seen constantly wearing a Black sabbath T-shirt).
Overall its a strange trip but one I'm glad I took.
Old 25th September 2018, 08:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've heard good things, I'll have to blind buy when it's released here.
Old 25th September 2018, 11:07 AM
Cultist

The Tree Of Wooden Clogs

5/10

One of the most boring films I have ever put myself through. Just 3 hours of Italian peasant farming, things get really exciting when there's a wedding about 2 hours in, but other than that it's just farming. I wasn't expecting Predator or anything but it could have been doing with a bit more.

Another highlight is a man finds a coin and hides it in a horse shoe, only for it to fall out and get lost. Clearly didn't think that through.

Anyway, if anyone wants it, £7.25 delivered. Arrow Academy blu ray, a day old.

Paper Marriage

6/10

Sammo Hung film I've waited years to see and it's not that good. Good fight scene between Sammo and Billy Chow and then a great 10 minutes at the end with Sammo, Dick Wei and Billy Chow with some amazing stunts. But my God, everything in between is hard going. Kinda typical HK rapey humour with Sammo melodrama thrown in.

Last edited by John Matrix; 25th September 2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 25th September 2018, 12:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Amazonia.

Catherine Miles(Elvire Audray) is a beautiful 18 year old who is up in court for double murder. and then it goes back as she tells the court the tale of how she visits her parents in the Amazon and they get killed and their heads chopped off by a bunch of native head hunters, with Catherine being taken prisoner and sold off to one of the chaps in the tribe.

I have to say that i enjoyed this later film in the cannibal cycle very much, eventhough it dosent really qualify as a cannibal film at all, despite some graphic head chopping and the odd tribal ritual. it's more of a adventure film with romance which borrows from a lot of other films like Emerald Forest, Romancing the Stone and Deep River Savages. but there is one obvious nod to Cannibal Holocaust as well with the score which is a total rip off.

And i liked Elvire Audray a lot who played Catherine and is very good in her role dressed as nature intended despite the awful voice she is dubbed with.

another great film from 88 Films that i am glad to add to my collection 80 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 997651-42120-clp-950.jpg (82.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 25th September 2018, 01:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

John matrix

Tree of the wooden cloggs, had to rewrite it my predictive text put pee of the hooded cliffs

Curious to watch it now because most people have gave good reviews on IMDb (odviously some haven't ) most have gave of 7+

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077138...ws?ref_=tt_urv
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th September 2018, 09:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Breaking In (James McTiegue)
Reasonable home invasion thriller.
keirarts, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th September 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Devonsville Terror (1983, Ulli Lommel)

And the moral is ..... dinnae burn fowk!!
Come to Devonsville!! We have ... a school filled with rejects from Village Of The Damned! Creepy townsfolk by the truckload!! Overbearing music fills the air!!!! A blatant rip from The Fog!!!
Donald Pleasence!! Events come to a head with the arrival of a new schoolteacher in this delightful place. Lommel's films tend to be quite singular within the genre they inhabit.

[B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 26th September 2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 26th September 2018, 08:53 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
John matrix

Tree of the wooden cloggs, had to rewrite it my predictive text put pee of the hooded cliffs

Curious to watch it now because most people have gave good reviews on IMDb (odviously some haven't ) most have gave of 7+

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077138...ws?ref_=tt_urv
I've watch a lot of slow "arty" films over the years but just couldn't take to it at all. Can't believe it gets the high praise that it does.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!