LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2018, 11:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Like for b!

Likes all round!
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st October 2018, 11:07 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Hold the Dark

Brutal and bruising trip to the edge of civilisation and the savagery to be found there. From the director of Blue Ruin and Green Room, the film is thematically linked to the two previous films: revenge, social isolation and the violence to be found within the human heart.

At times it reminded me of the excellent Wind River but this is a darker film by far.

Highly recommended.
Old 1st October 2018, 11:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Hold the Dark

Brutal and bruising trip to the edge of civilisation and the savagery to be found there. From the director of Blue Ruin and Green Room, the film is thematically linked to the two previous films: revenge, social isolation and the violence to be found within the human heart.

At times it reminded me of the excellent Wind River but this is a darker film by far.

Highly recommended.
Darker you say? It's not as if Wind River is a particularly jolly affair.

Last edited by J Harker; 1st October 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:16 AM
Cult Addict

Yesterday

An ultra low budget Canadian film shot on 16mm. Various people attempting to survive a zombie outbreak reluctantly join forces to head out in the wilderness to avoid the mayhem. The first film from Canadian director Rob Grant who made Fake blood which was a popular entry at a recent Grimmfest. Its his first film and it shows. In the commentary they talk about the numerous errors in the film, which ended up becoming a guerrilla film-school for the director. For all its faults it has its charms. If you remember the old shot on video zombie flicks starring non-actors with mullets this is about that level. It has a DIY charm and relentless pace to it that made it enjoyable. It's still something of a mess.

Dead Shadows

Another low-budgeter. This one from France. A bit more slick than Yesterday but not as fun. A meteor crashes into Paris and begins mutating the populace into lovecraftian horrors. A young man must fight to stay alive. Dead shadows main problem is that it feels incomplete. It feels like the makers shot what they could and put it together to advertise their concept. I may be wrong but it felt like a showreel. It has some great scenes in it including a genuinely creepy moment with a female-spider hybrid attempting to seduce the lead character. The trouble is that it doesn't engage enough consistently or fit together as a complete film as well as it should. As sloppy as Yesterday was it felt complete and fit together better than this. Worth seeing, just dont pay a lot of money to do so.

Doom Asylum

This is more like it. A gory eighties slasher flick set around an abandoned asylum as a demented and disfigured killer begins hacking up a bunch of teens who have decided to hang about the place for no good reason as kids in slasher flicks are want to do. What makes this fun is the strange, witty script that gives it somewhat subversive appeal. Its about 80 minutes, the kills are decent. The location works and the actors are not always great but it all adds to the strange charm of the film. I had low expectations going in but I think this will end up being a go-to slasher flick like slaughter high when i'm in the mood for something from this era.
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:35 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Children of the Corn II : The Final Sacrifice

Alan Titchmarsh and his son visit the town next door to Gatlin, Nebraska, where they meet Brian Molko who, keen to have a good harvest this year, gives them a lesson in religious extremism.

Was a pretty good movie. I think it had a lot more action than the first film did, but I think I prefer the evil kids from the first instalment. Creepy Isaac and Malakai were something special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2018, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict

Cold Skin

Set on an isolated island near the outbreak of WWI, this story of two men battling each other and a group fish people is Lovecraft heavy on the surface but manages to include deeper themes than its main monster, shoot 'em up, plot would suggest. Nicely played by the two lead actors with plenty of action amongst the poetic voice overs and quotes from literature.

If nothing else you get to see Ray Stevenson knob a deep one.
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Hold the Dark

Highly recommended.

Sold. Is Macon Blair in this one as well?
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 08:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Cold Skin

Set on an isolated island near the outbreak of WWI, this story of two men battling each other and a group fish people is Lovecraft heavy on the surface but manages to include deeper themes than its main monster, shoot 'em up, plot would suggest. Nicely played by the two lead actors with plenty of action amongst the poetic voice overs and quotes from literature.

Sold again.
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
Old 2nd October 2018, 09:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Cold Skin

I have this saved for December. Looking forward to it. I was dreading what you'd written when i saw the title but happily you liked it.
Old 3rd October 2018, 07:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

blood_and_roses.jpg
Et Mourir de Plaisir (1960))

Carmilla Karnstein becomes obsessed with the vampire legends of the Karnstein family. Mircalla Karnstein was the only vampire who escaped the purge at the castle when all the vampires were destroyed.
Carmilla sees the similarities between her and Mircalla and dresses like her.
One night, a fireworks party destroys some of the old castle and the hidden tomb of Mircalla is unearthed. Carmilla walks the ruins and seems to be taken over by the spirit of Mircalla..

Beautifully shot gothic horror. Carmilla's story arc becomes truly heartbreaking and with the music score over various scenes I was transfixed the whole running time.
I had wanted to see this movie in a long time and was not disappointed.
The movie had an English language release under the title BLOOD AND ROSES and had narration over the film. The film was also cut down.
I watched the longer French language version with cuts re-instated and no narration.
It's not a gory horror. Nothing like Hammer's VAMPIRE LOVERS.
More of an arthouse Vampire flick. Great stuff.

Like this? Share it using the links below!