Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2018, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Between Worlds (2018, Maria Pulera)

Nicholas Cage strikes again!! Or rather ... he's nae feart that mannie . Whilst not as cuckoo as Mandy ... it is fair to say that there is a smidgen of dat old magic realism in this stew. Bereaved trucker meets new beau after .... an unusual introduction it would be kind to say . That's not quite the entire story. But you people can all find out the way I did

Enjoy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th November 2018, 06:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood on Satan's Claw.

A young farmer( Barry Andrews, the chap out of Dracula) is ploughing the fields and unearths the remains of a demon covered in fur. and reports it to the local judge(Patrick wymark) But the remains vanish and strange things start happening in the country village set in 17th century England.

Very entertaining film indeed from tigon and directed by Piers Haggard. Great spooky atmosphers throughout and creepy music in this classic horror about Satanism and witchcraft in the supertious times of old England.

Actress Linda Hayden is the star of the show as Angel blake the young girl possessed by the devil and corrupting all the youngsters in the village into black mass rituals to revitalise her demon master, including rape and sacrifice and even trying to seduce the local vicar, who just about resists her temptations and even with her dodgy eyebrows she still looks absolutely stunning and was definately one of the hottest actresses in 70's horror, although Caroline Monroe could have given her a good run for her money.

excellent indeed, with the only criticisms being the underwhelming ending and the hilarious shots of the cloaked demon. 86 out of 100.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Citizen X (1995, Chris Gerolmo)

A HBO/Asylum production??
Lots of Brits (and then some ...) pretend to be Ruzzian cough. Based on the 'search' for 'Metal Fang' ... a notorious serial killer. Flatly shot, it is procedural in nature, even if events conspire against the poor sap they lumber with the case. Sadly for them, he is a bloodhound (which explains his hangdog expression ), and he kicks against the pricks just long enough to see the thing through to the end. I thought I had seen this. Ho hum.

Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th November 2018, 08:40 PM
Cult Addict

Dressed to Kill
A sexually frustrated wife gets murdered after hooking up with a one night stand by a woman in an elevator. A prostitute is the only witness and after being stalked by the killer, teams up with the victims son to uncover the truth.
In spite the references to Psycho it's still a great thriller with giallo influences. Also Nancy Allen is in it.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 9th November 2018, 11:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Blood on Satan's Claw.

excellent indeed, with the only criticisms being the underwhelming ending and the hilarious shots of the cloaked demon. 86 out of 100.
Sorry, but i have to ask. Why hilarious?
Old 9th November 2018, 11:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Silent Dust (1949)

Cracking post war drama cum thriller in which a young man thought dead from enemy fire during WWII turns up at his ancestral home.

As with so many of these Network releases i really don't know what to expect until the stories reveal themselves on screen and thankfully this turned out a bit of a corker with strong performances from Nigel Patrick and Stephen Murray.

A film that seemed rather olde English during it's opening twenty minutes, slowly cranks up the tension as we leave the quaintness behind amid a strong sense of shadowy Gothic chills culminating in a psycho thriller esq climax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71lSS6jzWdL._SY445_.jpg (37.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th November 2018, 12:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghostbusters (1984)

Ramis still looks uncomfortable. Atherton splutters as always. The secretary shines out like a mini movie .... Moranis fights his corner eh .... all in all a hoot. Always hated that song mind .

[B]
Old 10th November 2018, 11:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

HEREDITARY – I saw this thinking “I’m probably not going to like this as much as I’m meant to, am I?”, and I was right. That’s the problem when things end up burdened by their own hype, they can never truly rise. But don’t get me wrong, ‘Hereditary’ is a really good flick… not great, but interesting, excellently well made, pretty much at the top of the genre as far as filmic quality goes. The same thing happened with ‘The Babadook’ in a way, another undeniably good, quality film that I enjoyed but couldn’t rave over. Anyway, ‘Hereditary’ is initially about middle class American grief, then about the possibly real but potentially imagined reincarnation of an occult entity. In truth, as is often the case, the drama is handled much better than the horror, and the transition from one kind of film to another is a bit crassly done in places (the ‘seance’ scene etc). Again, when you set a bar way high, little glitches ring a lot louder. But that’s minor quibbling, really. There are one or two nasty, unexpectedly brutal moments that are quite wrenching, and the chilly atmospheric tone, particularly noticeable at the start, definitely gives the film presence. The possible ‘folie-a-deux’ aspect is interesting, although I can’t remember if there was a point where this was abandoned and you were meant to take events as read. If you strip ‘Hereditary’ right down, you could kind of nail it as really no more than a well put together semi art-house take on latter day multiplex ghostie fodder like ‘Insidious’. It’s not this generation’s ‘The Exorcist’. But it is a really good movie that people should watch.

DEAD NIGHT – Back in solid B-movie territory, here is a family on holiday in a cabin in the woods. Dad has a tumour and said cabin has cancer healing properties or something? I didn’t really get that aspect of ‘Dead Night’, but the same could be said of most of the rest of the film. ‘Dead Night’ is a genre scramble incorporating a cult, some kind of demonic birthing ritual, possible aliens, definite gore and Barbara Crampton. Inconsistency seems to be its stand-out characteristic, with nicely shot woody atmospherics suddenly competing with a plasticy TV-movie feel and wonky pacing that went a bit saggy, then a bit quicky. But I was half-cut when I saw it so who knows. One thing I do know – I enjoyed it.

PARASITES – I generally really like anything by Chad Ferrin (of ‘Easter Bunny Kill! Kill! fame), and ‘Parasites’ is no exception. It’s about some college kids out driving in LA – they veer off their beaten track, end up with a flat in a ‘bad area’ and find themselves at the mercy of a gang of belligerent homeless dudes. What follows after the set-up is basically an urban chase featuring a foaming-at-the-mouth Robert Miano and a briefly glimpsed but equally deranged Joe Pilato. There are clear references to the ‘urban warscape’ thrillers of the eighties, and whilst ‘Parasites’ doesn’t quite have the visual panache of a John Carpenter or a Walter Hill flick, the omnipresent hulking ruins of downtown dereliction guarantee a specific atmosphere. ‘Parasites’ touches on issues concerning racist violence and includes Ferrin’s usual preoccupation with the fate of the vulnerable.
Old 10th November 2018, 02:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always Frankie ... as always

The Bad Batch (2016, Ana Lily Amirpour)

Grim dystopian palaver. Pretty girl is released into a barren wasteland. But it's not Chester ... so it can't be Hollyoaks (thank Cthulhu). After tangling with some ... hungry folks ahem, she is forced into a situation she did not bargain for ....

[B]
Old 10th November 2018, 03:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Fanged Up (2017)

A young rogue is thrown into prison for the weekend, unaware that the guards are blood-sucking vampires and the inmates are their victims.

Passable British horror comedy with engaging characters and likable actors in Daniel O'Reilly, Stu Bennett, Vas Blackwood and Danielle Harold. Sadly the same cannot be said of Steven Berkoff as the vampire prison governor hiding away in the shadows - he actually acted like he was dead, although former Misfit Lauren Socha as warden Miss Renfield made up for it with a deadpan vamp performance.

The film worked best in the first half with some truly funny prison sequences as O'Reilly tries rather badly to adjust to prison life. It's when the horror kicks in that it stumbles quite badly in that it's neither scary, particularly gory nor garners much in the way of laughs and it's all done in a way that any tension is negligible.

Like this? Share it using the links below!