LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2018, 09:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Spy Who Dumped Me (2018)

Like ohmygawd, it's been for - EVER since we last chatted ... wait til I tell you this primo nugget ...

Ahem. Surprisingly entertaing Mila Kunis vehicle. Fish outta water tale as local lass (and sparky bestie ) trot the globe Bonding and battling the baddies inna slightly cartoony style when she discovers that her scummy ex is actually a spook. Some decent stunts so worth a look. Funnier than Spy etc.
I kinda fancied this back when it was first released so knowing you liked it makes it a deffo watch.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 11th November 2018, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoy then ... the funny makes me laugh, the sidekick a hoot (she was the Ramis in that Ghostbusters redo) and the violence is not comedic.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2018, 10:03 PM
Cult Addict

Outlaw King
After swearing Fealty to King Edward, Robert the Bruce rebels and is crowned King of Scotland. Now on the run he uses guerilla-type tactics to win.
It was great, Chris Pine sounds Scottish and plays the role very well. Some rather brutal moments and a small appearance by William Wallace (those who've seen it will get my drift ). Shame there ain't no aftermath of Bannockburn, although what could've been 10 minutes of Chris Pine sitting watching a spider in a cave would've probably taken away. Now about the elephant in the room - good on Pine getting his little pine out - sorry that was bad.
One to watch for sure.
Old 11th November 2018, 10:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted b!!
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2018, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just finished watching Peter Jackson’s documentary on WWI, They Shall Not Grow Old. If you didn’t watch it then I suggest checking it out on BBC iPlayer, absolutely fantastic work by Peter Jackson, the colourised footage looks like it was filmed yesterday, at times I forgot I was watching actual film from the war and not actors, makes you appreciate everything those that fought did for us all those years ago.
Best Documentary Oscar next year without a shadow of a doubt! 10/10
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 11th November 2018, 11:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching Peter Jackson’s documentary on WWI, They Shall Not Grow Old. If you didn’t watch it then I suggest checking it out on BBC iPlayer, absolutely fantastic work by Peter Jackson, the colourised footage looks like it was filmed yesterday, at times I forgot I was watching actual film from the war and not actors, makes you appreciate everything those that fought did for us all those years ago.
Best Documentary Oscar next year without a shadow of a doubt! 10/10
I just watched it and i agree, Rik.

Hopefully it will be released on disc in the future as it's a 100% purchase.
Rik, Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:28 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I just watched it and i agree, Rik.

Hopefully it will be released on disc in the future as it's a 100% purchase.
Day one purchase for me, I’m sure it will get a release once it’s finished it’s cinema run
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th November 2018, 11:00 AM
Cult Addict

I watched this too, a brilliant documentary that really brought the footage to life and didn't flinch from the horrors of the war.

The thing that sticks with me though is how it didn't preach or give much narration as to the reasons for the war, instead focusing on the everyday life of the soldiers plunged into a new style of warfare.

The voiceovers drawn from real soldiers experiences combined with the restored footage really gave an intense insight into realities of the situations the soldiers faced.

Also the way the soldiers are shown larking about in their downtime makes you realise they are just like us, and the camaraderie between them was the only thing that was keeping them together in the face of despair.

Everyone should see this film.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th November 2018, 03:23 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As it hasn't been that long since I saw it at the cinema, I didn't watch it last night, but recorded it and might watch it later on today. One of the things which stuck in my mind while I was watching it the first time was the appalling condition of most of the soldiers' teeth and how it is reflective of the health and dental provision to which these men were (mostly) eligible. I guess that is one of the reasons for the remarkable weight gain during basic training.

Several of my great great uncles were in the first world war and one of them, who was 27 at the time and a miner who was awarded the DCM for spending about 24 hours underground next to a pile of high explosives has enlistment papers that noted he had very few of his own teeth. When you consider that probably none of the people in They Shall Not Grow Old were eligible to vote, that situation is not entirely unsurprising.

If it wasn't for the detail within the footage which is only clear because of the astonishing restoration, such details as the dental hygiene which help to normalise and humanise the soldiers would not be visible, so it would be more difficult to reflect on the backgrounds from which they came and why they reflected on the experience of war in the way they did.

The documentary should be compulsory viewing in schools from now on.
Rik, keirarts, nosferatu42 and 1 others like this.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Captain Blood (1935, Michael Curtiz)

Aaarrrrrrr!! Shiver that timber as Errol Flynn plays throughly decent Irish physician Peter Blood, who is caught up at the sharp end of history ... ending up in the Carribean at a King's caprice ... after negging Olivia de Haviland til she's wet through and royally pissing off Lionel Atwill at the drop of a hat, fate again lends a hand .... and a pirate is born. Teaming up with decidedly rotten Basil Rathbone (until he grabs the Haviland that is ) ... the booty is plundered ... in a throughly decent manner . Hollywood sets out a stall here which they are still flogging today. The supporting minions are a treat and the ending ....

Recommended

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!