Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th November 2018, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Tightrope.

Wes Block(Clint Eastwood) is a cop in New orleans hunting a crazed masked maniac who is brutally killing prostitutes. but Clint soon realises that the killer is out to get him and everyone that he is close to.

a very different role for Clint in this one where he plays a sleazier kind of cop compared to his dirty Harry roles, and gets to show an even 'dirtier' side than usual.
Still a good film though and superbly acted, with a good performance too from his real life daughter Alison Eastwood. and Geneviere Bujold as the fiesty rape concellor who ends up falling for Clint.

A well made solid film. a little slow at times and very little actual gore despite the sleazy subject matter. but entertaining, moody and suspenseful, and probably the closest that Clint ever got to making a giallo. 78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tightrope1-thumb.jpg (16.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 24th November 2018, 03:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Malatesta's Carnival of Blood (1973)

Largely plotless film set in a carnival, more a selection of unconnected scenes than anything resembling a story with one or two gory sequences going down the Herschell Gordon Lewis route.

Despite the lack of narrative structure some scenes were quite memorable in that wonky dream like way that regional films of this era produced but it won't be enough to make me bother watching it again.

Even Stephen Thrower in the four minute introduction has nothing to say about the film other than he hopes you don't watch expecting something with a story which he repeats to the point of monotony in such a short interview.

Forty quid for this and The Premonition in Arrow's American Horror Project box set? No wonder there isn't a second set on the horizon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32f0c95e7d5400ad626a3702e9b42f53.jpg (88.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 24th November 2018, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ach well, can't win them all ....

The Howling (1981, Joe Dante)

I know it's very different from AAWIL. But it doesn't affect me the same way. Mayhaps to do with Stone's rather watery performance??
Roving reporter comes a cropper whilst chasing a rather dangerous lead. This leads to a meeting with an unusual shrink who resembles John Steed an awfy lot. Cut to 'The Colony' ... a respite run by the doc for 'relaxation' ... with an awfy resemblance tae where they filmed The Fog . Guess the rest?? Is there anyone here who hasn't seen this??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2018, 09:16 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched the Screenbound release of The Blood Beast Terror last night.

I've never been happy with the VCI Euroshock release due to it's poor picture quality so turned on the UK release with some trepidation.

I'm delighted to say it's head and shoulders above the VCI version. Picture quality is excellent, colours are bright and edges crisp and it looks like a totally different film. Just goes to show that restoring a film for blu-ray makes a dvd look so much better.

As for the film itself? Well, it's a decent if not spectacular Tigon production which borrows a lot of ideas from Frankenstein and is let down as many of these films are by the monster itself, which in this case is a flimsy moth thing made out of tissue paper. However i would like to add that the moth chrysalis when hung up in the cellar makes for a very memorable Gothic horror motif.
I used to have the Euroshock version as well. I upgraded to the Blu ray when it was released.
If the Odeon DVD is the same as the Blu ray it should have an extra scene that was always missing. The scene is where the Inspector and Meg come across the other hotel guest fishing and the kids have a better catch than he does.
Old 25th November 2018, 10:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Ballad Of Buster Scruggs ....

Loving this. Got Netflix? Gid to it pardner .....
Imagine if you will .... a Roy Rogers film .... directed by Sam Peckinpah .

See this today

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th November 2018, 12:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I used to have the Euroshock version as well. I upgraded to the Blu ray when it was released.
If the Odeon DVD is the same as the Blu ray it should have an extra scene that was always missing. The scene is where the Inspector and Meg come across the other hotel guest fishing and the kids have a better catch than he does.
Yes it does. The booklet said it was an extended version but it was so long since i watched the old dvd i didn't know exactly what was new.
Old 25th November 2018, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

My Dear Killer.

Police Inspector Peretti(george Hilton) is assigned to the case of an insurance agent who has had his head chopped off by a mechanical digger, and discovers a complex plot involving a young child called Stefania who had been previously kidnapped and murdered. soon more murders follow involving anybody who might discover the truth.

Okay, this is not up there with any of the top tier giallos by Argento and Fulci and even Martino. but it is still a very solid and entertaining film in the whodunit type of style.
Director Tonino valeri keeps the twists and turns coming, with clues that include a child's drawing and a mirror, and despite the slow pacing does a very good job indeed, even throwing in a couple of gory deaths including a graphic death by circular saw, although i'm not sure how the killer managed to slice up the woman with such a short power cord.

not bad at all. and with a lot of suspects, including a creepy old artist chap to keep you guessing. and i don't think that i've found a giallo yet that hasn't been entertaining. 78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.jpg (22.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th November 2018, 07:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Grinch (2018)

Being as I am a huge Dr Seuss fan, and admiring the various attempts to bring his work to the scren, this was highly anticipated. Just as reference, I HATED the Jim Carrey version, was disappointed by Horton Hears A Who & warmed up to The Lorax after my son had it on about 500 times (and yes, it gets better each time you watch it).

Bennadict Cumberbach voices the mean green title character in a close retelling of the classic tale. Visually it is the best Seuss movie ever, the voice cast are all perfect & the message of the original is intact. Today I watched this at the cinema for the second time with my son (he's 4), and we LOVED it, my initial confusion over some of the musical choices (Pharell Williams rapping his way through "You're a Mean One, Mr Grinch" was odd, second time it fits), has faded and I urge all to see it especially if you have kids!
The influence of Nightmare Before Xmas is obvious when the Grinch goes about stealing all the presents (Danny Elfman is on music for this one), ironically the original story was itself an influence on Burton's masterpiece.
The critics seem to just hate this one, what they expect I don't know!
Solid gold! Improves after a second watch!
8/10
Old 25th November 2018, 09:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

White Zombie 1932.

A jealous man uses a potion to get the girl he desires but backfires and she is turned into a zombie controlled by sinister Legendre.

The zombies in this are not like the Romero's zombies, but the actors playing them made them look creepy in this movie for its time. Bela Lugosi portrayal as Legendre was far more creepy than his Dracula acting, with his sharp stare and movements with his voice that makes him a great villain in this film. The cinematography in this is brilliantly done with some good looking sequences. The start of the film is a bit slow but the pace quickens up a must see for Lugosi fans. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Poster_-_White_Zombie_01_Crisco_restoration.jpg (34.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 25th November 2018, 10:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dirty Harry (1971, Don Siegel)
There's not an ounce of fat here. Aided by Schfrin's insistently funkay score .... driving driving forward towards a crazed climax.
Inspector Callahan has an unique interpretation of due process. Sit back and watch him trample on the rights we all take for granted . Thrillingly fascist fun.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!