Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th November 2018, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

With this week's top ten have decided to watch my favourite mistaking identity film, Galaxy Quest. The actors of an 80s short lived sci-fi series meek out a meagre living via conventions and opening supermarkets , they take what they think is a job by fans little realising , they are actual aliens who believe the show to real and have built the ship from the series and require the crews help to defend there planet. A fantastic parody of star trek both behind and in front of the camera. Is it just me or does Sigourney Weaver look hot as a blond? For me this is a better star trek than most of the movies. 10/10

Old 29th November 2018, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Seven Deaths in The Cats Eye.

Corringa(jane Birkin) is expelled from school and returns home to her familys gothic scottish castle, and finds that a black gloved maniac is on the rampage and offing all her relations. and the only witness to the crimes is the fluffy moggy.

Not a bad effort at all from Cannibal apocalypse director Antonio margheriti, which has a nice creepy gothic feel, with spooky secret passageways and graveyards.
However, the gore effects are pretty poorly done with the blood looking like paint splashes, and the scenes with an ape are obviously a chap in a suit.

on the plus side there is also a sexy french teacher who swings both ways, lusting after the sweet and innocent Birkin and the sleazy doctor played by Anton Diffrig, and adds a bit of eye candy to the proceedings.

my biggest critisism though is how dark the film looks. Maybe it's supposed to look this way, i don't know. but it's one of the darkest blu-rays that i have ever seen, next to Bava's Whip and the Body.

but all in all, i award this stylish and atmospheric gothic style giallo 70 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seven-deaths-cats-eye-5.jpg (17.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th November 2018, 07:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

American Honey (Andrea Arnold)

So if you were wondering whatever happened to the director of Red Road .... well dang it all, she done gone followin'-a the motliest crew you hever did see .... Transformer La Beef's in it ... don't leave !!

A young woman in a squalid situation sees a chance for respite at least when she joins an intinerant band of magazine sellers. Yes, magazine sellers. And a silence fell upon the Labs ..... but the scenery is lovely, so I stuck with it. Ultimately I am glad I did.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 29th November 2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 30th November 2018, 02:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Delirium.

Gloria(Serene grandi) is a retired model who now runs a mens magazine called Pussycat, and finds that her models are being murdered by an insane lunatic who seems to have a grudge against her.

Another great giallo classic from the ever dependable Lamberto Bava, with lots of style and nudity, but a bit low on the gore and violence.
With a cast that includes the great daria Nicolodi as Gloria's PA, and the hulking chap George Eastman out of Absurd as Gloria's boyfriend.

Yes, it is a bit silly at times, especially with the killers bizarre POV shots were the victims have an eye and a insect head. although that does deserve marks for originality.
And Serene grandi gets to show off her impressive assets at every oportunaty, but that is also a plus point in my book.

Extremely entertaining overall though, with nice camerawork and colours. and surprising suspenseful as well. so this fun giallo gets a solid 79 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deliriumeyeball-480x270.jpg (18.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 30th November 2018, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

National Lampoon's European Vacation
The Griswald's win a game show and gain a trip around Europe, in every country something bad seems to happen.
Not as good as vacation unfortunately, however there are still a few good laughs as well as appearances by Eric Idle and Robbie Coltrane.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 1st December 2018, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Going to sit down now and watch all 210 minutes of Gods and Generals (2003)

Old 1st December 2018, 06:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Monster Club.

a horror writer(john Carradine) meets a vampire called Eramus( Vincent price) who takes him to a club full of strange monsters and shares with him three horror stories.
The first is a very well made and rather sad tale about two con artists who intend to rip off an eccentric rich chap who lives like a recluse in a big old house. but get more than they bargained for from a deadly power that he possesses. The second is the weakest in my opinion and a rather silly story about a boy who discovers that his dad(Richard johnstone from Zombie flesh eaters) is actually a vampire who is being hunted by a bunch of vampire hunters led by Donald pleasence. with the sexy Britt ekland starring as well. But the third tale is easily the best about a horror director(Stuart witman) who ends up in a creepy village whilst looking for a location for his next film and ends up fighting for his life from an army of ghouls. with Patrick magee as the spooky innkeeper. and with a nice soundtrack too.

probably not the best of Amicus anthologys, but it it still very entertaining with a nice mixture of creepiness and black comedy. some of the monster makeup in the actual club does however look very cheap and looks like they rented the outfits from a fancy dress shop. but the music throughout is actually rather catchy with an interesting stripper number and a kinky skeleton.
78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monsterclub2big.jpg (96.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 1st December 2018, 07:26 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
The Monster Club.

...probably not the best of Amicus anthologys...
Sorry Paul, but 'The Monster Club' wasn't an Amicus production. It was actually a joint release by two companies called Chips Productions and Sword and Sorcery Productions, the latter was formed by producer Milton Subotsky when Amicus disbanded
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st December 2018, 07:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Sorry Paul, but 'The Monster Club' wasn't an Amicus production. It was actually a joint release by two companies called Chips Productions and Sword and Sorcery Productions, the latter was formed by producer Milton Subotsky when Amicus disbanded
thanks for the update. For some reason i always assumed it was.

You learn something new everyday
keirarts likes this.
Old 1st December 2018, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict

Starting of this month's odd festive feature with National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Clark Griswald wants to give his family the best Christmas ever, unfortunately things go wrong. From the lights not working to the appearance of cousin Eddie. He tries to cope.
A strong start for the festive period and it can only go down from here . Along with Vacation and Animal House it still is one of my faves

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!