Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179513Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd December 2018, 02:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Eliminators 1986.

A pilot who was almost killed in a crash is rebuilt from machine parts called a mandroid rebels against his creator for revenge, teamed up with Dr Hunter who created the parts, the son of a scientist Kuji and riverboat guide Harry Fontana.

This movie is one of those 80s B movies that's so bad it's good (if that made any sense). This was produced by Charles Band's empire studio's so you may know what to expect. Denise Crosby from Star Trek: TNG appears as Dr Hunter who is hell bent on stopping the mad scientist played by Roy Dotrice who is using her ideas for time travel. Andrew Prine is the guide Harry who doesn't believe what he sees and is talking about Aztec Gold. Patrick Reynolds plays the John Doe reborn as the Mandroid trying to remember who he is but has revenge on his mind. Mixed with some good action sequences and decent soundtrack it's still entertaining. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg THE-ELIMINATORS.jpg (94.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 2nd December 2018, 04:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lamb 1985.

Father Michael Lamb, a teacher at a institute for troubled boys in Ireland takes new comer 10 year old Owen under his wing who is epilepsy smokes, curses and wets the bed. Both form a bond and runaway to London and soon are chased by the authorities.

A young Liam Neeson and Hugh O Connor take on the role of Lamb and Kane both roles played brilliantly as a man who believes that the boy needs salvation. Ian Bannen played Brother Benedict the principal of the institute well as he believes he follows the right path of punishment on those who stand before him.

The film can seem to be a bit slow but does show how far a person would go to help a child under his care to the point of protection and to the unthinkable and tragedy. This can be upsetting to some but worth a watch with a dark soundtrack from Van Morrison. 7 out of 10.
Old 2nd December 2018, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Paranoaic.

After the deaths of their parents in an accident and the supposed cliff top suicide of their brother Tony, Simon(Oliver Reed) and his neurotic sister Eleanor(janette scott) are brought up by their aunt.
But Simon is totally insane and plans to kill his sister to get her share of the inheritance. However things take a dramatic turn when a chap turns up claiming to be the dead brother Tony.

A very good psycho thriller indeed from the early days of Hammer before they went all Frankenstein and Dracula. freddie Francis does a brilliant job here directing this top class suspense film with plenty of twists and turns to keep you guessing throughout.

the acting is top notch too, with Reed in particular in fine form as the violent drunk on the brink of madness, and probably didn't need to do much acting to play a drunk.
Janette scott also does a nice turn as Eleanor and i'm surprised that she didn't turn up in a few more hammer films.

Yes, i certainly recommend this excellent thriller. and give it 81 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paranoiac-crop-1.jpg (15.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd December 2018, 06:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched these films over last couple of weeks.

9/10

9/10

9/10

6/10

6.5/10

9.5/10

9/10

Now watching Rambo first blood part 2
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cape Fear (1991)

This hasn't aged well. Easily the most formulaic of Scorcese' films, it overdoes the melodrama, pulls punches and the dialogue .....

De Niro played quite a few monsters in his time. But all this is missing is the hook . Great to see Mitchum, Baker etc etc .... but they are merely window dressing in Martin's charnel house.... Mitchum's retort notwithstanding. Nothing is resolved either. A mate saw Cady as an angel (yeah. I have some weird mates), but this is shoehorning ahem. Pass.

Animal House (1978)

A rather mean spirited movie about overgrown children. Thank Cthulhu . 'The worst house on campus' is targeted by the guy who didn't want to pay Walker. So that'll end well New recruits Flounder and Pinto discover a new world of beer, beer, beer ... and some animal cruelty . A bit tired looking now (might need to upgrade cough), but still very funny.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd December 2018, 09:37 AM
Cult Addict

I read somewhere (at some point ) that a lot of new dvd onward releases of "Animal house" don't have some of the original songs on the soundtrack due to rights issues.

So i'm not sure what's the best release is for this, or even whether the version i'm used to (Tv and Vhs) is the original version.

I would like to know if anyone has any info on this as it's a film i like and would like to upgrade.
keirarts likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 3rd December 2018, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The Bloodstained Butterfly.

A young french girl is brutally stabbed to death in the park and a man is seen running away from the scene of the crime wearing a beige raincoat. later the chap is arrested and convicted of the crime but more killings then follow.

This is a rather serious giallo directed by Duccio Tessari who was more famous for his westerns. it is extremely well made and intriguing but does lack the flamboyant style of your Argento and Fulci's and has very few murders and gore. and is a film that is more towards the police procedures and courtroom drama, but fortunately doesn't dwell too long on the legal side.

Acting is very good, with Helmut Berger playing the rather disturbed pianist boyfriend of the murdered french girl, and Evelyn Stewart from Case of the Scorpion's Tail in the role of a adultress wife.

As we all giallos though it keeps you entertained throughout and is a very worth while mystery. soundtrack is also very nice as well and mixes some classical into it too. a solid 78 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloodstainedbutterfly01.jpg (80.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 3rd December 2018, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I just watched and then re-watched the original Suspiria for the first time. How had I not seen this until now? No film and I mean no film can match Suspiria in the use of visual style and saturated use of colour. It is so beautiful to watch: Masterpiece from the late 70's
Old 3rd December 2018, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I just watched and then re-watched the original Suspiria for the first time. How had I not seen this until now? No film and I mean no film can match Suspiria in the use of visual style and saturated use of colour. It is so beautiful to watch: Masterpiece from the late 70's
Sam had never heard of this film or Dario Argento she watched it first time ever earlier this year and has now seen it 3 times and in her top 3 all time films , she loved it .
Old 4th December 2018, 11:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mac And Me (1988)

This has the most blatant product placement that I have EVER seen.
Single mom and brats (including a wheelchair bound one) move to a new area. Sadly they don't know they are in an E.T. clone . The alien looks like something that should be 'servicing' Jabba tbh .... . Remarkable amount of peril the cripple gets involved in for all that .
Now I just have to go to McDonalds.

Memoirs Of An Invisible Man (1992)

Knew there was a reason I never watched this. Fletch turns invisible. That's it. All that was missing was ... er .... JC's soul?? Made me think fondly of Village Of The Damned ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!