Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2018, 06:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

mumsy-nanny-sonny-and-girly-odeon-entertainment-dvd.jpg
MUMSY,NANNY,SONNY AND GIRLY (1970)

Childlike Sonny and Girly invite men to come back to their 'perfect' family house. They force them to act like children and then to play children's games and dress as schoolboys. Anyone who does not play their games or who try to escape are sent to the 'Angels'. One of the men tries mind games on the family in the hope that they turn on each other..

The film makes extensive use of outdoor and interior of Oakley Court.
It is actually kinda freaky watching the family talk, dress and act like kids.
The film really centres on Girly (Vanessa Howard from The Blood Beast Terror) and she was the selling point when the film was released in the States as just 'Girly' to big box office after the failure in the UK.
This is a real weird one for sure but well worth checking out.
Director Freddie Francis favourite film.
Old 10th December 2018, 06:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I come across this,what do you think ?
Top 10 horrors of the year
Do you agree or disagree ?

https://theactualtruenews.co.uk/top-...films-of-2018/

Tbh I've not seen any of the films listed here
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th December 2018, 06:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 6th

Mother! (2017)

Darren Aronofsky's extremely heavy handed metaphor for pregnancy and the oncoming disruption a new baby will bring - being the centre of attention, invading the home, even wrecking the home and above all testing the relationship of husband and wife.

However Aronofsky as is his style attempts to portray it as some sort of nightmarish disaster which is so OTT it becomes laughable and ludicrous in the extreme.

Having just Googled the film to find a poster to post below it would appear i'm totally wrong in what i thought the film was about. Apparently it's actually a biblical allegory. What ever it is it's not a patch on the same director's Black Swan (2010)
Old 10th December 2018, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 7th

The Fog (1980)

I watched this in the hope the new transfer from Studio Canal would be an improvement over the old dvd (Never mind the blu-ray) and thankfully it is.

John Carpenter's classic ghost film looks and sounds splendid, in fact it's almost like watching it for the first time. The difference between this and the old dvd version is remarkable. Think vhs to dvd and you'd be somewhere close.

A fine addition to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 138827961757007786-fog-pfg.full.jpg (93.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 10th December 2018, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There is more info on the website, but this is the list:
10. The Meg
9. Predator
8. The Cured
7. The Nun
6. Halloween
5. Suspiria
4. Annihilation
3. Mandy
2. A Quiet Place
1. Hereditary

The only two I've seen are A Quiet Place and Hereditary, both of which I saw at the cinema, and rated highly enough to buy almost as soon as they were released to watch at home.

I'm guessing they are only including English language films or those from North America because have heard really good things about Terrified , Cam, What Keeps You Alive, Upgrade, Revenge, Are We Not Cats, and Ravenous. All of these are at the top end of Rotten Tomatoes list ranking the horror films from 2018.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...ent-4162569772
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:22 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
December 6th

Mother! (2017)

Darren Aronofsky's extremely heavy handed metaphor for pregnancy and the oncoming disruption a new baby will bring - being the centre of attention, invading the home, even wrecking the home and above all testing the relationship of husband and wife.

However Aronofsky as is his style attempts to portray it as some sort of nightmarish disaster which is so OTT it becomes laughable and ludicrous in the extreme.

Having just Googled the film to find a poster to post below it would appear i'm totally wrong in what i thought the film was about. Apparently it's actually a biblical allegory. What ever it is it's not a patch on the same director's Black Swan (2010)
I watched this earlier in the year (a blind buy of the 4K Ultra HD release) and was blown away by it, at first quite confused but realised it was a biblical allegory by the halfway point. I thought so much of mother!, I watched it the next day. I thought it was incredibly powerful, but not easy viewing, and an incredible audiovisual experience.
Old 10th December 2018, 07:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thinking more about mother!, I liked it much more on the second viewing when I could almost sit back and enjoy the ride rather than try and figure out what was going on so, Demdike, if you weren't overly impressed the first time, give it another go while it is fresh in your mind and even pay attention to the end credits, particularly the capitalisation.

It's a film I should watch again, but my 'to watch' pile is massive!
Old 10th December 2018, 07:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Thinking more about mother!, I liked it much more on the second viewing when I could almost sit back and enjoy the ride rather than try and figure out what was going on so, Demdike, if you weren't overly impressed the first time, give it another go while it is fresh in your mind and even pay attention to the end credits, particularly the capitalisation.

It's a film I should watch again, but my 'to watch' pile is massive!
Okay i will do. In January some time. Too much to watch before then.
Old 11th December 2018, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Black Christmas.

bob clark's classic slasher about an insane maniac who hides in the attic of a sorority house during the Christmas holidays and starts to kill off the remaining sorority sisters one by one, and ringing up afterwards and doing obscene phone calls.

This is one excellent horror film indeed with a superb spooky vibe and bags of atmosphere and suspense. and doesn't need to relie heavily on blood and gore, although the killings are still very memorable and creepy, including death by glass unicorn and plastic bag.
The settings are also good too in the cold bleak winter and all adds to the vibe.
and with a great and memorable cast as well including the headstrong Jess(Olivia hussey) and the funny and foul mouthed Barb(Margot Kidder). Keir Dullet is also good as well as Jess' neurotic boyfriend and the ever dependable John Saxon as the police leuitenant. housemother Mrs Mac also adds some comedy moments too who is always blind drunk and swearing her head off.

Top notch viewing indeed, and the film that probably influenced Halloween and all the countless others. 85 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black-christmas-image-1.jpg (22.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11th December 2018, 08:30 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The Lair of the White Worm (1988)

Abject lunacy from Russell - a firm favourite.

82/100

Cam (2018)

Bizarre but ultimately unsatisfying erotic mystery thriller that had potential about a cam girl who gets replaced by, er, herself. Netflix original fodder.

59/100

Gumshoe (1971)

British comedy/noir/thriller with a star turn from Albert Finney. Recommended.

72/100

The Collector (1965)

Tired of collecting just butterflies, rich loner Terence Stamp decides Miranda Eggar would make a nice specimen to keep in his country manor's cellar instead.

77/100

Like this? Share it using the links below!