Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Dave Boy 14th January 2013 07:28 PM

The Trollenberg Terror (1958)
Mighty Joe Young (1949)
Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)
The Thing From Another World (1951)

trebor8273 14th January 2013 08:47 PM

Watched bay of blood really good, loved the ending :lol: think I will watch quartermass 2 before bed

PaulD 14th January 2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 312599)
Watched bay of blood really good, loved the ending :lol: think I will watch quartermass 2 before bed

A Bay of Blood is an absolute classic. Might watch that soon actually.

SShaw 14th January 2013 08:56 PM

Tonight I watched the first of Roger's outings as Bond Live and let die perhaps my favourite Bond.

Justin101 14th January 2013 09:37 PM

Just watched Samsara, blown away the imagery and the music is top notch, made me feel proper humble too, most people in this world have it much worse than us westerners!

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th January 2013 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 312607)
Tonight I watched the first of Roger's outings as Bond You only live twice perhaps my favourite Bond.

????

Thats a Connery one. :lol:

JoshuaKaitlyn 14th January 2013 10:56 PM

The Whole Dam Family and the Dam Dog (1905)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post312671

ThePopeofCOSDS 14th January 2013 11:26 PM

A Smell of Honey, A Swallow of Brine - Words cannot describe how badly I want to punch Sharon in the face. COSDS Review

Gojirosan 14th January 2013 11:28 PM

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 2012 NZ/US DL Peter Jackson

Whilst not a total disaster of a film, it is a mess. It is not a good film. Pacing is all over the place, it is the clumsiest collection of shoddy set pieces strung together by anger-inducingly dull scenes of people walking through "beautiful scenery", the wrong scenes go on far too long, Jackson seems desperate to tie everything back to the LOTR flicks (like we don't realise it's all part of the same thing) and - once again - Tolkien's considerable flaws as a writer are hugely amplified once up on the screen.

As a cinema experience: well the spectacle scenes you have seen before and the 3D is pointless.

A film you can either happily ignore or wait till it shows up on disk.

Gojirosan 15th January 2013 02:27 AM

Berberian Sound Studio - 2012 UK d: Peter Strickland

Extremely witty absurdist comedy piece that gets darker as it goes along. Evocative of Beckett, Poe and Polanski, it is an expertly made and very measured bit of silliness. It rather runs out of steam right at the end, but the journey has been so wonderful one is inclined to forgive this. Pleasingly fetishistic with regards to (now) vintage audio technology, the unassuming camerawork acts as a counterpoint to the - frankly exceptional, as one might expect - sound. Superb performances all around and some healthy cynicism adds contempt for a world of film we revere, perhaps, too highly.

Magnificent film-making and tremendously amusing whilst never "laugh out aloud" funny more than a couple of times.

Wit. Genuine wit.

SShaw 15th January 2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 312663)
????

Thats a Connery one. :lol:

Live and let die doh!

keirarts 15th January 2013 08:07 AM

TRAILER PARK BOYS.

Comedy genius, the boys get out of prison (again) and decide to start ripping off loose change, all the while Ricky must try and win back lucy whose become a lap dancer, and julian has fallen for one of her co-workers. The pair and their buddy bubbles must also contend with mr lahey (as drunk as ever) and cheesburger eating randy. Probably the best £1.99 I ever spent in a charity shop!

Laban 15th January 2013 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 96427

sawyer6 15th January 2013 11:49 AM

Recent viewings ,I was in a ''rare animated movies from around the world'' mood
1)This is my first Bava ever :behindsofa: and I quite enjoyed it,2)great picture quality,very good extras,3)I found this so so,maybe a second viewing will change that,4)zombie ,low budget ,animated movie with the most unlikely hero:an elderly man with a walker in search of new shoes! 5)6)two animated movies from Hungary based on folklore tales ,the first one is the first Hungarian animated feature ever made ,the animation in both is very beautiful,7)animated movie from Cuba about the battle between the American and the East European vampires for the potion that allows vampires to be able to live under the rays of the sun,very funny! 8)the sequel takes place during WW2 and adds nazis in the search of the potion,9)animation from Czechoslovakia that tells the story of Lady Bathory,the animation is not greart,but overall is very interesting,10)a very good ,animated, Star Wars rip-off from the 80's ,11)this is consindered one of the best animated movies of France and took 30 years to be made,12)classic war film with an amazing cast,13)a dramedy directed by Anne Bancroft and stars Dom DeLuise as a overweight man who struggles to lose weight and also to find the love of his life,14)independent film about growing up ,based on a comic,from the director of Crumb,15)I found Seth MacFarlane's funny in some moments but in all not that great,16)a very good political thriller with great cast
http://i47.tinypic.com/r6zqqd.jpg

PaulD 15th January 2013 01:54 PM

Eden Lake - genuinely scary and unnerving due to its portrayal of violence. Does the whole violence begets violence thing and nice people turning hostile for survival really well with a neat nod to Last House on the Left at the end. I didn't find the politics of it too problematic but I guess I chose not to believe that the filmmarkers were implying the gang and their family were representative of their class (although the overwhelmingly positive Daily Mail review is concerning). Bleak ending too and I still don't think I'm forgiven by my girlfriend for watching it with her yesterday

Jackie Brown - still one of my favourite Tarantino films and the only one with characters you really care about. Even at two and a half hours it doesn't outstay its welcome and the twisty-turny plot is fantastically written. Some excellent long shots in it too especially the execution of Beaumont and the tracking shots in the mall near the end.

Demoncrat 15th January 2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 312683)
TRAILER PARK BOYS.

Comedy genius, the boys get out of prison (again) and decide to start ripping off loose change, all the while Ricky must try and win back lucy whose become a lap dancer, and julian has fallen for one of her co-workers. The pair and their buddy bubbles must also contend with mr lahey (as drunk as ever) and cheesburger eating randy. Probably the best £1.99 I ever spent in a charity shop!

Bubbles for president!! nice find btw.:)

Demoncrat 15th January 2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 312709)
Recent viewings ,I was in a ''rare animated movies from around the world'' mood
1)This is my first Bava ever :behindsofa: and I quite enjoyed it,2)great picture quality,very good extras,3)I found this so so,maybe a second viewing will change that,4)zombie ,low budget ,animated movie with the most unlikely hero:an elderly man with a walker in search of new shoes! 5)6)two animated movies from Hungary based on folklore tales ,the first one is the first Hungarian animated feature ever made ,the animation in both is very beautiful,7)animated movie from Cuba about the battle between the American and the East European vampires for the potion that allows vampires to be able to live under the rays of the sun,very funny! 8)the sequel takes place during WW2 and adds nazis in the search of the potion,9)animation from Czechoslovakia that tells the story of Lady Bathory,the animation is not greart,but overall is very interesting,10)a very good ,animated, Star Wars rip-off from the 80's ,11)this is consindered one of the best animated movies of France and took 30 years to be made,12)classic war film with an amazing cast,13)a dramedy directed by Anne Bancroft and stars Dom DeLuise as a overweight man who struggles to lose weight and also to find the love of his life,14)independent film about growing up ,based on a comic,from the director of Crumb,15)I found Seth MacFarlane's funny in some moments but in all not that great,16)a very good political thriller with great cast
http://i47.tinypic.com/r6zqqd.jpg

As always, an excellent use of your time, and Twitch of the Death Nerve is a great "intro" to Bava imo. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th January 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 312761)
Eden Lake - genuinely scary and unnerving due to its portrayal of violence. Does the whole violence begets violence thing and nice people turning hostile for survival really well with a neat nod to Last House on the Left at the end. I didn't find the politics of it too problematic but I guess I chose not to believe that the filmmarkers were implying the gang and their family were representative of their class (although the overwhelmingly positive Daily Mail review is concerning). Bleak ending too and I still don't think I'm forgiven by my girlfriend for watching it with her yesterday

Jackie Brown - still one of my favourite Tarantino films and the only one with characters you really care about. Even at two and a half hours it doesn't outstay its welcome and the twisty-turny plot is fantastically written. Some excellent long shots in it too especially the execution of Beaumont and the tracking shots in the mall near the end.

I agree with you on both counts as Eden Lake is one of the most gruelling British horror films of recent years and a compelling watch. I haven't yet seen Django Unchained, but Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best film for most of the reasons you stated above.

nekromantik 15th January 2013 06:21 PM

Last night I watched West of Memphis.
The documentary on the West Memphis 3 murders.

Very interesting and well made doc! I used to follow the story quite well but over the course of making the film and new trail I lost track and this was done well in how the first 45 mins was a intro into what happened back in 1993 and then it goes onto the trail and then the new trail on freeing the wrongly accused. Now some people still think they were guilty but I am not one of those people.

trebor8273 15th January 2013 06:29 PM

Watched a couple of episodes of due south now watching return of the living dead.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th January 2013 06:33 PM

I used to love Due South... before they changed the character who played Ray.

SharonLynette 15th January 2013 06:41 PM

Watched The Reptile (1966) both Sunday night and last night, fell asleep thirty minutes in both times, this doesn't mean it's a bad film, I'm just very sleepy at the moment. In fact I'm heading to bed now to watch something that I will most likely fall asleep to.

trebor8273 15th January 2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 312844)
Watched The Reptile (1966) both Sunday night and last night, fell asleep thirty minutes in both times, this doesn't mean it's a bad film, I'm just very sleepy at the moment. In fact I'm heading to bed now to watch something that I will most likely fall asleep to.

I'm the same in bed now watching something, last few weeks just been so tired that when I get back from work have a bath something to eat and goto bed and put a DVD / blu ray on

SharonLynette 15th January 2013 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 312845)
I'm the same in bed now watching something, last few weeks just been so tired that when I get back from work have a bath something to eat and goto bed and put a DVD / blu ray on

The worst thing is I'm not even doing anything at the moment, it's frustrating as I want to be active but I'm not even in work, last night in bed by 8ish asleep about 8:30 and dead to the world until 9am! I just wish I could concentrate on something for a bit.

mercury 15th January 2013 07:38 PM

The Grey.....I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. If you are a fan of snow, wolves(not your Twilight wolves) ;) and survival then you will enjoy this movie. Liam Neeson was great, and I thought the last scene was epic:pop2:

Dredd....watched this for the second time and in 2d this time. I enjoyed it again and am happy to say that it doesn't look like a made for 3d film converted to 2d. This is how all movies should be made so that there isn't any silly things flying out the screen which just look pathetic in 2d.

ArgentoFan1987 16th January 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 312851)
The worst thing is I'm not even doing anything at the moment, it's frustrating as I want to be active but I'm not even in work, last night in bed by 8ish asleep about 8:30 and dead to the world until 9am! I just wish I could concentrate on something for a bit.

I seem to be the same lately. It's rare that I go to sleep after 9 now (but that probably has something to do with waking up at 4.30 every morning).

I thought The Reptile was great! Much better than Rasputin the Mad Monk (which I think it was doubled with). I hope you manage to watch it when you're less sleepy.

trebor8273 16th January 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 313112)
I seem to be the same lately. It's rare that I go to sleep after 9 now (but that probably has something to do with waking up at 4.30 every morning).

I thought The Reptile was great! Much better than Rasputin the Mad Monk (which I think it was doubled with). I hope you manage to watch it when you're less sleepy.

Yes the reptile is a great little movie, here it is nearly 1900 and already wrapped up in bed

jorishorror 16th January 2013 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 96870

The atmosphere!! wow! old school... a little jewel

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 08:32 PM

Recent viewings:

http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://memento.cf1.letterboxd.com/as...0-222-crop.jpg http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...0-222-crop.jpg http://elephant.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg http://predator.cf1.letterboxd.com/a...0-222-crop.jpg

SShaw 16th January 2013 09:09 PM

After a day off yesterday I continued my journey through my Bond boxset with The man from the golden gun Moore's second outing as Bond and another solid entry in the canon. 5 entries to go, unfortunately I am rapidly approaching the 80's when the franchise lost its way.

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 313243)
After a day off yesterday I continued my journey through my Bond boxset with The man from the golden gun Moore's second outing as Bond and another solid entry in the canon. 5 entries to go, unfortunately I am rapidly approaching the 80's when the franchise lost its way.

Well, until Dalton took over! The living Daylights and Licence To Kill are great Bond movies imo.

Susan Foreman 16th January 2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 313243)
unfortunately I am rapidly approaching the 80's when the franchise lost its way.

Couldn't agree more

Stephen@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 313254)
Couldn't agree more

You're all mad!!!! No love for the Dalton movies? They're 100 times better than anything Roger "eyebrow" Moore ever did.

Hawkmonger 16th January 2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 313258)
You're all mad!!!! No love for the Dalton movies? They're 100 times better than anything Roger "eyebrow" Moore ever did.

Coming from the guy who shredded Arrow's arse over the entire nation, that really is a burn!

Gojirosan 16th January 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 313258)

I agree. Only Live And Let Die is worth seeing of all Moore's Bond efforts.

He was a rubbish James Bond, in my opinion, even if he was the one with whom I grew up.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 312862)
The Grey.....I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. If you are a fan of snow, wolves(not your Twilight wolves) ;) and survival then you will enjoy this movie. Liam Neeson was great, and I thought the last scene was epic:pop2:

I only watched it on Friday night and i can't even remember the last scene.

It wasn't him staring at a wolf was it?

I thought the film on the whole was a huge let down. Frozen was a far superior snow / wolf survival horror.

But that's just me.

Hawkmonger 16th January 2013 10:03 PM

Liam Neeson punched a bear in the face. Your argument is now invalid.

Rik 16th January 2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 313260)
I agree. Only Live And Let Die is worth seeing of all Moore's Bond efforts.

He was a rubbish James Bond, in my opinion, even if he was the one with whom I grew up.

Completely agree, except add The Man With The Golden Gun too, they're the only two Moore bonds I actually like

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 313263)
Liam Neeson punched a bear in the face. Your argument is now invalid.

He also made Taken 2. :rolleyes:

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th January 2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 313264)
Completely agree, except add The Man With The Golden Gun too, they're the only two Moore bonds I actually like

:brick: