Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2019, 02:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The house that dripped Blood.

A scotland yard inspector is assigned into the disappearance of a horror film star who rented a old house and hears strange stories about other occupants of the house, including the first tale about a horror writer(Denholm elliot) who moves to the house with his wife to write a book about a serial strangler called dominic who he starts seeing for real. the second starring the great Peter cushing as a lonely old batchelor who is shocked to discover that the town's wax museum has a statue that resembles a woman that he used to love, which leads to horrific consequences. The third and best with Mr christopher Lee who employs a tutor for his disturbed daughter who has a liking for witchcraft and wax dolls. and lastly the one about the missing horror actor(john pertwee) who is making a film and buys an authentic vampire cloak from a creepy old costume shop, with vampire queen ingrid Pitt also co-starring.

Another great horror anthology from hammer rivals Amicus, all very entertaining and great fun. with even a bit of comedy thrown in, particulary in the last one. 86 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image4houseblood.jpg (86.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 8th January 2019, 03:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Christine

Nope not Stephen kings film about a killer car ,
But true story of Christine Chubbuck descend into depression with serious consequences,
Everything about this film is done very well the tone , the acting is first class , style the music etc etc , its based in 1974 and has the correct feel that you could believe you was watching a film made from the 70s , Christine is a news reporter where her boss wants more oomph detail and depth into the next newsbeat , and focus less on human interest and more on crime , when the owner of the station wants to open a new station in Baltimore Christine wants a slice of the action , and wants to further her life career and future , she buys a scanner to try and catch the action the next big story, despite all her efforts she gets praise from her work colleagues but no satisfaction from her boss , it all starts to go downhill when she has stomach pains and needs a ovary removed and results in her having children becoming slim, and as the film plods on it shows Christine decline into depression getting annoyed and losing the plot and will to live , because she feels that no matter which way she turns everything is against her and her boss is never satisfied, it shows her slowly getting angry at her boss and everyone around her and the real kick in the teeth comes when the bloke she fancies but never hit on , start too get on well then he drops the bombshell he be moving too the new station, especially considering she wanted that position so badly , her boss is wanting more guts and glory and in the end she gives her boss exactly what he wants by committing suicide live on air .
Its a shame films like these don't get the recognition they deserve or pushed more up front because its films like these that deserve awards over half the shower of shite that gets nominated because they where a box office hit ,
A true modern masterpiece as far as I'm concerned and we need more of these , they are out there but we need to search for them and push aside all the blockbusters and well known films to find them

Highly recommended

Last edited by gag; 8th January 2019 at 07:34 PM.
Old 8th January 2019, 04:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Paranormal Diaries: Clophill (2013)

Surprisingly good entry into the well worn genre of 'Shaky cam' or 'Found footage' movies. An atmosphere of foreboding builds up from the first minutes with dark tales of satanic rituals on Clophill. A film which is very atmospheric throughout, only let down slightly by an uneventful finale. However the fact it's all subtly done without a ridiculous OTT climax does add to the authenticity of the whole thing.
Old 8th January 2019, 04:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Took the Letterboxd plunge.

https://letterboxd.com/demdike/films/reviews/
Old 8th January 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
It's just a shame that it comes with a free mortgage I want it SOOO much.
Worth every penny.
Region A locked though.
Justin101 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th January 2019, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Worth every penny.
Region A locked though.
That's not a problem for me. It's a shame it wasn't out while I was still on holiday in Tokyo, it would have been a high enough price to get the VAT removed on the purchase as well

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th January 2019, 08:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Two Minute Warning. A mad sniper has a football stadium in his sights in this late 70s thriller starring Charlton Heston. Watchable enough but nothing particularly remarkable and there's also a rather curious pointlessness to it.
Old 8th January 2019, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran

Had an urge to watch some Jason Vorhees so I went with “Jason Lives” Friday the 13th Part VI

Some hokey dialogue aside and that weird paintball scene it’s actually played pretty serious. Deaths come thick and fast in this one but it still seems quite toned down, I’m guessing the MPAA took a lot of stuff out. However, you get Alice Cooper, the machete, a funny sex scene, lighting strikes and an iconic under water set piece! Recommended!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th January 2019, 06:41 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
About time too!

Following.

Now all you need is that filmaf account I've been bugging you about.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th January 2019, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
One of the most enjoyable things I find about Letterboxd, as sad as it likely sounds, is starting a list, and working my way through it until the percent watched counter is at 100%. Or even just finding a mammoth list, and watching the counter increase over the years.

It's one of those experiences that gets better the longer you use it, the more years worth of films you've logged. For a while you might simply be at a loss for the popularity of it, but over time you'll see the benefits.

Like this? Share it using the links below!