Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2019, 06:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bloody Moon 1981.

At a all girls language school, a killer stalks and kills them.

From European exploitationer Jess Franco helms the director chair for this film set in Spain where a disfigured man kills the students in different ways. The film does start off slow but the pace does quickly build up with somewhat of suspense added in. The acting is not great but not bad either and dubbing is noticeable and a good background score makes it more atmospheric, enjoyable for Franco fans. 7 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51eF2hmqbCL._SY445_.jpg (31.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 16th January 2019, 08:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mara

Undemanding jump scarer. Sleep paralysis masks a greater threat than cramp in this by rote wee flick. Sliiight J horror vibe.
bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 16th January 2019, 09:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of The Bloody Apes 1969.

A female wrestler struggles with a accident occured during her match, and a doctor trying to save his son from leukemia decides to perform a heart transplant using a gorilla's heart that causes consequences.

This was a cheap budget type horror flick from Mexico with a splatter of blood, nudity and a weird ape mask that looked like rubber and sticky on scars from a joke shop. The plot was a bit weird especially the cop dating a female wrestler that had nothing to do with ape man or woman the doctor. There was a nice view of the medical surgery. The acting wasn't great but de entertainment enough aswell as the English dubbing. 5-6 out of 10.
Old 17th January 2019, 11:57 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Borderlands (2013)

A team of Vatican investigators descends upon a church in a remote area to demystify the unusual happenings, but what they discover is more disturbing than they had first imagined...

...Or it would be if i had any inkling of what was going on. Basically i think it ends in Satan's arse. I kid you not! The back story tells of historical child sacrifices to, well....

Mostly The Borderlands is very good. For a found footage film it's extremely well made, helped by the use of stationary cameras erected to capture events as they unfold. Characterization is excellent (Nice to see Robin Hood's Gordon Kennedy again) and above all believable and for the most part there's an air of unease which permeates events inside the church, also helped by local yobs and Wicker Man style villagers. The film has exceptional sound design with almost subliminal rustlings and cries of infants throughout the eerie church culminating in what is a genuinely effective 'found footage' style movie.

But really? Satan's arse? Seriously?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fid13791.jpg (34.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th January 2019, 03:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Cry of the Banshee (1970)

Vincent Price plays Lord Edward Whitman a cruel magistrate dedicated to the extermination of Witches. (So absolutely nothing like Mathew Hopkins in Witchfinder General then) Whitman overseas the massacre of a coven of Witches lead by the high priestess Oona, he spares Oona's life but soon begins to regret this as she calls up a spirit from the beyond to carry out her revenge.

Although produced by AIP and starring Vincent Price, Banshee is not a Roger Corman production. it is a far grittier film than Cormans excellent Gothic horrors.

The typical The flamboyant imagery of Corman is replaced by sadistic torture and humiliation, especially to the women in the film. Because of this gritty nastiness the film still stands up well today as a horror film rather than a fairytale fantasy poem that many of Corman's Gothic horror movies have become.

Look out for the scene with Patrick Mower and the rabbit. Mower spots a cute white and grey rabbit in the woods, he picks it up and it amazingly turns into a cuddly floppy eared brown rabbit before turning back again as he puts it down. - Now thats Witchcraft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Cry_of_the_Banshee_Poster.jpg (22.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 18th January 2019, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Borderlands (2013)

A team of Vatican investigators descends upon a church in a remote area to demystify the unusual happenings, but what they discover is more disturbing than they had first imagined...

...Or it would be if i had any inkling of what was going on. Basically i think it ends in Satan's arse. I kid you not! The back story tells of historical child sacrifices to, well....

Mostly The Borderlands is very good. For a found footage film it's extremely well made, helped by the use of stationary cameras erected to capture events as they unfold. Characterization is excellent (Nice to see Robin Hood's Gordon Kennedy again) and above all believable and for the most part there's an air of unease which permeates events inside the church, also helped by local yobs and Wicker Man style villagers. The film has exceptional sound design with almost subliminal rustlings and cries of infants throughout the eerie church culminating in what is a genuinely effective 'found footage' style movie.

But really? Satan's arse? Seriously?
Isn't it the wyrm that is slightly mentioned towards the end that they enter?? Rewatch!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th January 2019, 04:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bohemian Rhapsody

Curiously lifeless telling of a band's rise. Mr Robot looks odd at the best of times .... Cthulhu knows what actual Queen fans will think ....
A-bismil-lah!!
Justin101, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
Old 18th January 2019, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Bohemian Rhapsody

Curiously lifeless telling of a band's rise. Mr Robot looks odd at the best of times .... Cthulhu knows what actual Queen fans will think ....
A-bismil-lah!!
My mum saw it three times I'm curious to see it but not expecting WOW or anything.
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th January 2019, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Best film I watched last year, absolutely fantastic from start to finish, even with the obvious historical inaccuracies, I preordered the BD the second we left the cinema and can’t wait to watch it again
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 18th January 2019, 06:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saw it twice and thought it was excellent , far better than the critics made out.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!