Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2019, 05:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mercenaries 2014.

When the president's daughter is kidnapped, C.I.A operative Mona recruits four ex military women to go rescue her.

Welcome to the Asylum release of the female version of The Expendables, Brigitte Neilsen plays terrorist Ulrika who wants to be president of the world, 80s-90s star Cynthia Rothrock plays Mona Who Hires Zoe Bell, Vivica. A Fox,
Kristanna Loken and Nicole Bilderback to pull it off. As to be with the Asylum expect really bad CGI effects, bad guys that always seem to miss their targets. Having actresses that appeared in good movies really cant save this film unless its for background noise and laughs. 3 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mercenaries.jpg (21.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 21st January 2019, 07:54 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Imported Halloween 2018 and watched it yesterday.

Don't know if it maybe warrants another viewing,but I'd put it in 4th place in the (Myers) series after HALLOWEEN,HALLOWEEN 2 and H20.

Feel free to step outside.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st January 2019, 08:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Outland. Sean Connery is a Marshal on a mining outfit on the planet Io, where he links a string of bizarre suicides to illegal amphetamines being provided to the miners to amp up their productivity by the corrupt general manager, and soon learns he's expected to take hush money and not rock the boat. He doesn't. Peter Boyle and Frances Sternhagen co-star in this gritty early 80s science fiction thriller that essentially transplants some old school Western themes into an SF setting. I have seen this before, but a very long time ago (like early 90s) and couldn't remember it at all, but thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 21st January 2019, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jamaica Inn (1939)

Hitchcock's first Du Maurier adaptation is a tense and atmospheric tale of wreckers set on the Cornish coast. The inn of the title being the windswept place the cutthroats hang out.

The scenes of wrecking are well done especially when you consider it's a little British production and not from one of the American studios. Interestingly the film has the credit 'and introducing Maureen O' Hara'. Wonder what happened to her?

It has an Old Dark House feel to it, whether it's due to star Charles Laughton and screen writer JB Priestley or just the howling winds, but it comes across as creakily Gothic and solid entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e7YtnRXZGfleWfhEAvmlK5bQswZ.jpg (97.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 21st January 2019, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Imported Halloween 2018 and watched it yesterday.

Don't know if it maybe warrants another viewing,but I'd put it in 4th place in the (Myers) series after HALLOWEEN,HALLOWEEN 2 and H20.

Feel free to step outside.....
It has an excellent soundtrack. A fine accompaniment to Carpenter's Lost Themes albums.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 22nd January 2019, 06:37 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Jamaica Inn (1939)
I might give this one a re-watch myself this week, as it's one I haven't seen in a good few years. It will also provide me with the perfect opportunity to give the Arrow BD its first spin.
Old 22nd January 2019, 03:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Burning (1981)

A definite riff on Friday the 13th, after a stupid prank goes wrong and a summer camp caretaker (Cropsy) is left with horrendous burns, on release from hospital he returns to Camp Blackfoot to wreak his revenge.

Another slasher film given classic cult status thanks to Tom Savini's brilliantly gory FX work. The raft massacre of several brainless kids is a close up gooey joy to watch. However after a promising opening ten minutes where we witness the burning of the title and Cropsy's murder of a hooker the film falls flat on it's face with 45 minutes of mind numbing tedium before hitting it's stride in a slightly rushed way in the final half hour.

The problem this film has is the kids and councilors of whom we are supposed to route for are either so annoying or just paper thin caricatures that their antics quickly become a chore to sit through. However that bloody finale almost redeems the film...almost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51pfFDQS5cL.jpg (40.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd January 2019, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Resolution (Benson/ Moorehead)

Aye well then. Ostensibly a two hander (ish) revolving around an 'intervention' of sorts. Developments seem organic, which helps the whole film in the long run. Rewatch as certain elements need reappraisal. Recommended

Spring (Benson/ Moorehead)

Aye well then II . Look, this is easily the oddest film I've seen this year. Chap vacates his current situation in haste .....
Reappraisal again as it took me by surprise somewhat. I feel that I am not explaining myself well. Kudos to the pair of them in this regard.

Looking forward to The Endless tonight

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2019, 07:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

House Of Whipcord 1974.

At a old prison, a couple still run the place with the intentions of abducting young girls who were not punished enough by the law deal out their own justice.

I was expecting this to be a dull and slow movie, but i was wrong, this was entertaining British flick from the beginning right up to the end, the atmosphere in the movie is brilliant. Even though there is a few males in this film, its more of the females that take charge and dish out the punishment, This was probably seen as a horror in the 70s its more of a psychological thriller, its one to check out. 7 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-of-whipcord.jpg (24.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

My Blue Heaven. Steve Martin is the clueless mobster sent into witness protection awaiting testimony in the worst place on Earth to him - suburbia. Rick Moranis is the hapless FBI agent trying to keep him under control until he testifies. Joan Cusack co-stars in this early 90s comedy that is not one of Martin's best but is amusing and likeable enough. The funniest conceit is Martin eventually finding a whole bunch of other mobsters all in WP in the same place!

Like this? Share it using the links below!