Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179516Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd January 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

Split
3 women are kidnapped and awaken in a room where they meet the same man with different personalities, so they attempt to escape.
I've not seen a decent shyamalan film since signs and this was good, for the most part. James McAvoy does a terrific job in his role, but the final acts felt almost borderline schlock.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Haunted Palace 1963.

Joseph Curwen is lynched by townsfolk for being a warlock, 110 years later Charles Dexter Ward has inherited the castle and is a descendant of Curwen and slowly comes to be possessed by his late great-great grandfather.

This was a great film by Roger Corman from the story by H.P. Lovecraft during the period of adapting Edgar Allen Poe stories, Vincent Price plays both Joseph/Charles brilliantly. The Dark gothic atmosphere blends in well with the film from start to finish and it never becomes boring just more intriguing right to the end with Price pulling off a sinister smile. Debra Paget plays a good part of the loving wife hoping to help her husband and Lon Chaney Jr as the caretaker of the castle and servant, A must see for Vincent Price fans. 9 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-haunted-palace.24753.jpg (101.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

In the Line of Fire (1993)

Thrillers don't come much better than this tale of a Secret Service agent (Clint Eastwood) playing a deadly game of cat and mouse with a professional assassin (John Malkovich) who is out to kill the President.

Wolfgang Peterson's film is a beautifully crafted piece that pulls you in immediately. Clint Eastwood is on top form as is the sinister Malkovich, but it's also the rest of the cast including Rene Russo as Eastwood's fellow agent, John Mahoney, Dylan McDermott and so on who add extra gravitas to the film. The same can be said of Ennio Morricone's subtle score.

Although not an action packed movie it's very well paced and laced with tension, leading up to a fantastic pay off at the famous LA Bonaventure hotel.

A film which is 26 years old this year and no matter how many times i watch it, it never feels dated nor does it become tiresome. They really don't make films like this anymore. People tend to think Clint Eastwood's best years were the seventies and i can't argue with that but his early nineties triumvirate of Unforgiven, this and A Perfect World i'd suggest are among the best he ever made.
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:00 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Endless

How to use your budget sensibly. Mate came round with ..... Manhattan Baby
... but that's for another thread
First off .... this and Resolution have ... an acquaintance shall we say ... so watch that first.
Two brothers readjust to the modern world after a traumatic childhood. Sounds thrilling, yes? Regardless ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd January 2019, 04:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Last Winter (2006)

A team working to exploit the oil resources of Alaska find themselves succumbing to unknown fears amidst warnings that the Arctic tundra is thawing.

Wendigo director Larry Fessenden has pulled off another brilliant piece of man vs supernatural force cinema. Much in the style of Wendigo, The Last Winter's evils are largely unseen, possibly not even real, just the disorientation of each team member as they succumb to unknown forces. Throughout the film Fessenden gives us the explanation that we are destroying our own planet and this is nature's way of fighting back.The films final scenes showing the spirits of long dead animals now back roaming the tundra's as the melting ice free's their fleshless corpses is extremely eerie and superbly executed. Its clear that Fessenden blames global warming and he backs up his arguments with filmed proof throughout which may irritate non believers but to me its a small price to pay for a fascinating film.

As with Wendigo, The Last Winter is a slow paced film, patience from the viewer is required but your time is suitably rewarded with breathtaking photography and brilliant performances from leads Ron Perlman, James Le Gros and Connie Britton. The Last Winter is a beautiful piece and extremely haunting, it's Arctic landscapes both vast and yet claustrophobic at the same time. The unknown threats unraveling the minds of the crew whilst slowly working its way under the skin of the viewer.

With snow and ice everywhere, last night seemed the perfect time to revisit this fine film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600full-the-last-winter-poster.jpg (74.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

From Beyond

Watching this as a pick me up. A HPL story with a black character . And 2 women! PC gorn mad I tells ye ...

Silly scientific types overreach themselves at perilous cost.
Which description I must admit covers half his oeuvre .
A hoot. Combs . Crampton

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Psycho III (1986, Anthony Perkins)
A far bloodier affair than either that proceeded it. AP really guzzles the scenery. Cast act like stunned slugs 'cept spiky ol' Fahey in beefcake mode. Less a film ... more of a holding device. I loved it. Felt like a Cannon film in places

[B]
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Street with No Name (1948)

Classic noir in which undercover Fed Mark Stevens infiltrates Richard Widmark's criminal gang.

Told in semi-documentary style during the opening twenty minutes, this soon evolves into a gritty crime film with a taut script which plays out in a terrific shadowy visual style. Although it pretends to tell a story of how the FBI work undercover, witness John McIntire's wonderfully shady turn, in reality it's just a great cops n' robbers slug fest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StreetnoName.jpg (82.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Street with No Name (1948)
I haven't seen that - I'll have to add it to the watch list.

I watched a Noir earlier too; On Dangerous Ground.
Old 23rd January 2019, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen that - I'll have to add it to the watch list.

I watched a Noir earlier too; On Dangerous Ground.
I noticed you did when i was cutting and pasting those few words of mine to Letterboxd.

Was it a blu, dvd or download? It's not a film i've seen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!