Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

gag 18th January 2013 04:49 PM

The impossible

WARNING SPOLER ALERT .................................................. .....................

Went pics to watch this last night and i must admit i thought it was good film and sad as well but i had a few small niggles with it..
First of there was no build up at all of the disaster happening it was telling the story before it happend everyone was playing by pool etc the the earth shook and whoosh the disater happened showing the wave come crashing down...i wasnt to keen on that i have much prefer a build up no matter how small it was even if it was eg people playing on the beach and someone shouting wave then people running for their lives...
And then basicaly for the next roughly half of the film was just her and her son fighting for survival being taken hospital etc like as just on big scene of just them and the people they come across.. there was no scene or story of other people eg when wave came crashing showing people fighting for survival etc but just them two..
Basicaly the whole film only focused on the one family and not realy of anybody else which would have been better if like any other film the story showing other people ...im not sure if i explained this welll but im sure you can understand what i mean....
Its only a small gripe but as a whole the film was very good and sad and ill admit in one scene i had a few tears rolling down my face...

Gojirosan 18th January 2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 313579)
SHADOW OF A DOUBT - White picket fences give way to vistas of endless unknowing when Uncle Charlie hits town... perhaps instructively, beyond its initial tweeness lies a real darkness. Its imagery still seems luminous after repeated viewings - the 'loss of innocence' moment when Girl Charlie seems about to disappear into her own looming shadow in the library after she realizes her uncle is a killer has never left my mind. A great film.

Totally agree. My favourite of Hitchcock. I have no idea how many times I have seen it, yet the power never diminishes. Comes tantalisingly close to my all time top ten.

Justin101 18th January 2013 05:05 PM

I watched Bride of Frankenstein for the first time last night, and probably controversially, I found it to be pretty dull, in fact I didn't really enjoy it at all, apart from that one scene when the monster meets the old blind man and he gets taught how to speak.

I'm sure for the time it was great and I can understand where it fits in the history of not only horror but of films, however Dracula is much better and while some scenes in BoF are well shot and the direction is good the film on the whole is flat.

trebor8273 18th January 2013 05:13 PM

Not a film but watching the persuaders blu ray box set

Susan Foreman 18th January 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 313579)
SHADOW OF A DOUBT - White picket fences give way to vistas of endless unknowing when Uncle Charlie hits town... perhaps instructively, beyond its initial tweeness lies a real darkness. Its imagery still seems luminous after repeated viewings - the 'loss of innocence' moment when Girl Charlie seems about to disappear into her own looming shadow in the library after she realizes her uncle is a killer has never left my mind. A great film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 313701)
Totally agree. My favourite of Hitchcock. I have no idea how many times I have seen it, yet the power never diminishes. Comes tantalisingly close to my all time top ten.

Apparently, this was Hitchcock's favourite film of all the ones he made

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th January 2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 313700)
The impossible

WARNING SPOLER ALERT .................................................. .....................

Went pics to watch this last night and i must admit i thought it was good film and sad as well but i had a few small niggles with it..
First of there was no build up at all of the disaster happening it was telling the story before it happend everyone was playing by pool etc the the earth shook and whoosh the disater happened showing the wave come crashing down...i wasnt to keen on that i have much prefer a build up no matter how small it was even if it was eg people playing on the beach and someone shouting wave then people running for their lives...
And then basicaly for the next roughly half of the film was just her and her son fighting for survival being taken hospital etc like as just on big scene of just them and the people they come across.. there was no scene or story of other people eg when wave came crashing showing people fighting for survival etc but just them two..
Basicaly the whole film only focused on the one family and not realy of anybody else which would have been better if like any other film the story showing other people ...im not sure if i explained this welll but im sure you can understand what i mean....
Its only a small gripe but as a whole the film was very good and sad and ill admit in one scene i had a few tears rolling down my face...

The film is based on a book written by the mother of a Spanish family who are depicted by the actors in the film, perhaps a British family speaking English is more marketable than a Spanish family.

In any case, the reason there is no build up or explanation is because the family didn't experience one – there was just a whoosh of wind and then a wall of water came inland at great speed, wreaking destruction as it went. It's true 300,000 people died and many more survived (most of the extras were played by survivors of the tsunami) but they chose that book which is one family's perspective of the events of December 24, 2004 and the events they experienced before flying out.

I don't think any film could show the events of the tsunami from the earthquake which triggered it to the cleaning up process and rebuilding the infrastructure of Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and every other affected country.

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th January 2013 08:22 PM

Stenka Razin (1908)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post313798

Susan Foreman 18th January 2013 08:26 PM

"Blair Witch Project" on the horror channel

Well, actually, I'm struggling to stay awake, and this film ain't helping"

SShaw 18th January 2013 08:32 PM

and so the decline begins ... Moonraker o.k. the source novel is not really that exciting, but from the ridiculous start (Jaws falling into a circus tent), to the too cute romance between Jaws and the short girl with glasses, to the ending which rips off Luke's Deathstar canyon attack - even down to borrowing the dialogue - this is a disappointing entry in the Bond canon. But that's it for Bond for the time being, tomorrow is a visit to the Kino to see Django Unchained. Can't wait.

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th January 2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 313806)
and so the decline begins ... Moonraker o.k. the source novel is not really that exciting, but from the ridiculous start (Jaws falling into a circus tent), to the too cute romance between Jaws and the short girl with glasses, to the ending which rips off Luke's Deathstar canyon attack - even down to borrowing the dialogue - this is a disappointing entry in the Bond canon. But that's it for Bond for the time being, tomorrow is a visit to the Kino to see Django Unchained. Can't wait.

But you have the classic scene of a pigeon doing a double take! That's worth the price of admission alone!

Nordicdusk 18th January 2013 11:25 PM

Just watched the first episode of American Horror Story series one.

Ranarchy 18th January 2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 313875)
Just watched the first episode of American Horror Story series one.

Yeah I finally saw season one too. A buddy of mine had the DVDs so we've watched it periodically.....

Nordicdusk 18th January 2013 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranarchy (Post 313876)
Yeah I finally saw season one too. A buddy of mine had the DVDs so we've watched it periodically.....

I enjoyed the first episode how it the rest.

Gojirosan 19th January 2013 12:18 AM

Absentia - 2011 USA d: Mike Flanagan

Damn near brilliant monster mystery reminiscent of the works of Ramsey Campbell. Genuinely unsettling in atmosphere and with a wonderful cast. It's open to interpretation (unreliable narrator?) or reads as a straight horror tale; the script is very fine indeed (the occasional clunky dialogue aside). Shot on a DSLR, it has that "Home Movie Realism" look, but here it suits the piece rather than distracts, and this is accompanied by a wonderful enveloping soundtrack of drones and chirps and swooshes and a superb minimalist score which is simply perfect for the film.

The tone and subject were right up my alley (tunnel?) and I was astounded by how good I found this to be. I recommend this a lot. One of the best horror films of the last few years.

Vampix 19th January 2013 12:28 AM

Zombieland (2009)
I saw this via Netflix and thought it was fairly enjoyable.Woody Harrelson and Bill Murray were probably the best things about it.

gag 19th January 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 313754)
The film is based on a book written by the mother of a Spanish family who are depicted by the actors in the film, perhaps a British family speaking English is more marketable than a Spanish family.

In any case, the reason there is no build up or explanation is because the family didn't experience one – there was just a whoosh of wind and then a wall of water came inland at great speed, wreaking destruction as it went. It's true 300,000 people died and many more survived (most of the extras were played by survivors of the tsunami) but they chose that book which is one family's perspective of the events of December 24, 2004 and the events they experienced before flying out.

I don't think any film could show the events of the tsunami from the earthquake which triggered it to the cleaning up process and rebuilding the infrastructure of Thailand, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and every other affected country.

Either way its a good film and worth watching and sad because the fact it was true..Not just the way the film was made , made you cry etc but just the fact that a trragedy like that happened is sad alone,

Justin101 19th January 2013 08:41 AM

http://psycho.cf1.letterboxd.com/ass...g?k=37cbbf199f

I watched Lawless last night, while not a perfect film, the pacing sags a little in the middle, it's certainly an accomplished film. The acting is great, the photography is great, the soundtrack - by Nick Cave is unsurprisingly brilliant. I'm not the biggest Shia LaBeouf fan, in fact I find him pretty irritating most of the time, but he pulls this one off. Hardy is always good, but it's hard to see him without thinking of Bane, I don't think the muffled speech in Lawless helps break away from that image either. Guy Pearce gets a special note though, he plays what seems effortlessly, one of the vilest characters I've seen in a film for a long time, even just standing in the frame without speaking you can feel your skin cringe - bleugh!

Good movie though 4 out of 5.

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 09:44 AM

My name is Richard, and I haven't watched a single film in three weeks :(

Does anyone want to do some of my work for me . . . ?

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 313918)
Hardy is always good, but it's hard to see him without thinking of Bane

Really? I find him quite versatile - Bane, Bronson, Bill Sykes, Heathcliffe, that lowlife scum fella in WAZ, good variety of performances there (or variations on intense and moody folk :lol:). Bronson is still his clear standout role for me . . .

Demoncrat 19th January 2013 10:39 AM

World Without End (Edward Berns, 1956) had this in the house for a while, finally took the plunge after the rather strange John Dies At The End (more of which later).

Contains spoilers.

This slice of heterosexual propaganda thinly disguised as sci fi hokum starts with the apocalpyse, then trundles along til they get sucked into a brightly coloured snowstorm (or at least the model spaceship does haha) which shoots them into the future, where they come across BIG spiders (hmmmm) and one eyed cavemen. Surprise surprise, these are the remnants of the human race after "the great blow" (their phrase). They also meet some airy fairy types (lets call them the middle class) who witter on about "peace" which sickens the Yanks as they only know one solution to any problem (it isn't TM:laugh:)

Haven't laughed as much since A Touch of Cloth. Decent enough print made up for the creaking sexual politics. Rod Taylor's sixpack needed more oil I felt though (the DP certainly did) Ha-rumph.

AAAnyway......
John Dies At The End (2012, Don Coscarelli)
Now I'l watch anything this man does (and have) and from the oblique opening to the rather cheeky ending, I approved of this oddball tale of two losers who learn that "drugs are baaad" the hard way. This was worth the wait after seeing the trailer a while back. Featuring some unusual (old school) effects which added to my enjoyment, I recommend this anyone who likes a laugh and hates bland generic cinema imo.

Oh, and we watched Dredd again. Every time he pouts I get a flashback to when I used to read 2000AD as a lad, but still stand by my "sluggish" assessment.;)

trebor8273 19th January 2013 10:39 AM

Watched prophecy 1&2 last night.

trebor8273 19th January 2013 11:10 AM

about to watch Dario argento an eye for horror documentary, anyone seen it, any good?

Rik 19th January 2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 313952)
about to watch Dario argento an eye for horror documentary, anyone seen it, any good?

I've seen that many docs on him that I'm unsure which is which, what release is it on?

trebor8273 19th January 2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 313956)
I've seen that many docs on him that I'm unsure which is which, what release is it on?

It's on the second disc of the the arrow blu ray of inferno

fuzzymctiger 19th January 2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 313958)

Yeah it's pretty good as a special feature. Wouldnt be much on its own though.

But thn again, Umbrella Entertainment stuck it on every Argento disc they released. So I have 4 copies of it

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 12:26 PM

I like the on-set footage from Sleepers, where you can play a fun game of 'Where's Alan?' (Jones) :lol: . . .

Rik 19th January 2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 313958)

I watched it recently, it's pretty good

sawyer6 19th January 2013 12:33 PM

I'll watch Django Unchained in a few hours :)

Macintosh_Metal_Rod 19th January 2013 01:56 PM

Seven Psychopaths (2012) -

Completely missed this film upon its initial release and I'm ashamed to not catch this one in theaters since it truly deserves my purchase of a movie ticket... The next time I see Martin McDonagh name again, I'm buying a ticket, this one is definitely one of my favorite films this year so far even though it came out last year...

SShaw 19th January 2013 02:47 PM

Decided to stay in today, its looking a little bit cold and snowy out there, and watched French thriller Switch. I caught this on the final day of Fantasy Film Fest and was impressed enough to pick it up on Bluray when I spotted it in HMV just after Christmas. It plays like a ****ed up version of The Holiday, beginning with our Canadian heroine arranging a house swap holiday in order to reboot her life. Arriving at a wonderful apartment within spitting distance of the Eiffel tower her happiness is quickly shattered when the apartment is stormed by the French police led by former Manchester United captain Eric Cantonna. Things go from bad to worse when she realises her Canadian identity has been stolen by, and she is mistaken for a deranged, psychotic murderer. Its a really enjoyable thriller and well worth seeking out.

Coming next Django Unchained ...

Hawkmonger 19th January 2013 03:18 PM

Broke my foot at Karate last night so been A&E last night getting it plaster casted. As such had a (sadly to) lazy morning watching a few back catalogue BD's. SF Halloween 2 and 3 first, bloody amazing is what they are. Might move my copy of Terror Train and They Live slightly higher up now. Then came MIB3, after the dissapointment of the second film this re-nevigorated my love for the original as a child. Will Smith is hilarious in this ("Just co's you see a black guy driving a fancy car doesn't mean it's stolen!...well I DID steal that one but...) and Boris is a suitably ugly alien. Clever bit of scene making when all the aliens scene in the 60's are suitably retro.

Justin101 19th January 2013 04:44 PM

Sorry to hear about your foot, at least you got to watch Halloween 3 though so I'm jealous - I only have a very ropey and cut DVD of it :lol:

keirarts 19th January 2013 04:55 PM

The Convent.

Paying homage to eighties horror, in paticular kevin tenny'sNIGHT OF THE DEMONS, this one features a bunch of students breaking in to the sterotypical haunted house and being overun by gooey possesing demonic entity's. Livened up somewhat with a real sense of humour and fun the movie does nothing origional but in a really fun and well paced kind of way.

trebor8273 19th January 2013 05:49 PM

Baby cart at the river Styx

Frankie Teardrop 19th January 2013 06:08 PM

BRAINJACKED - Sci-fi-horror features drill-handed lobotomist and his coven of debrained followers. Amateurish plot/performances and SOhidef, but generously ticks gore and exploitation boxes, with blood, grey matter and nudity circulating to good effect. What distinguishes it is its Bavaesque-on-a-camcorder colour scheme and the strange intensity of a few passages (mostly involving the righteous indignation of trepanned kids). Unearthed Films put out some really interesting cult 'product' and this is no exception.

THE LORELEY'S GRASP - My first time with this one. What a strange, dreamy film - I really enjoyed. In some ways, it feels like a vaguely psychedelic update of a flick from another era - it's classic Euro-exploitation, but it seems to harken to something or somewhere else... back to fifties monster movies, but also to a genuinely mythic place, and to a misty kind of seventies surrealism. So along with some disconcerting heart rippings, chicks in bikinis and some rubber monster FX there's a hazy fairy tale vibe, and a genuinely forlorn ambience that sustains like a landscape beyond the events. Very much a necessary viewing.

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 314042)

THE LORELEY'S GRASP - My first time with this one. What a strange, dreamy film - I really enjoyed. In some ways, it feels like a vaguely psychedelic update of a flick from another era - it's classic Euro-exploitation, but it seems to harken to something or somewhere else... back to fifties monster movies, but also to a genuinely mythic place, and to a misty kind of seventies surrealism. So along with some disconcerting heart rippings, chicks in bikinis and some rubber monster FX there's a hazy fairy tale vibe, and a genuinely forlorn ambience that sustains like a landscape beyond the events. Very much a necessary viewing.

My favourite Spanish film .

keirarts 19th January 2013 06:31 PM

The BCI U.S release of lorely is a must own imo!

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th January 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 314050)
The BCI U.S release of lorely is a must own imo!

Agreed. :nod:

You can get a secondhand one for £25 from Amazon. ;)

Frankie Teardrop 19th January 2013 06:40 PM

It's a pity about about the price. I watched my friend's copy.

Slippery Jack 19th January 2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 314056)
It's a pity about about the price.

Indeed :( Just read a review and checked out the prices on amazon . . .