All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179485Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2019, 03:19 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Million Eyes of Sumuru (1967)

British spy film produced by Harry Alan Towers and features all his required trade marks - exotic locations and beautiful girls.

Although it's perhaps most interesting as it's one of a mere handful of films by cult British director Lindsay Shonteff to actually see the light of day on dvd and blu-ray.

Towers as usual grabs a fine cast including the lovely Shirley Eaton as Sumuru along with Towers wife in her first role - Maria Rohm, George Nader, Wilfrid Hyde-Whyte, Klaus Kinski and Frankie Avalon, however at least this time the script gives them something of quality to work with in a fast paced and reasonably interesting adventure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Million Eyes OF Sumuru Spanish Poster.jpg (64.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

This week's viewings:

Léon (1994)

A '90s favourite that never gets old. Director's Cut.

87/100

Bloodlust (Mosquito der Schänder) (1977)

Very loosely based on a true case, this tale of a deaf and dumb accountant who has a fascination / traumatic trigger with blood, collects and experiments on dolls, before moving onto funeral home corpses in order to 'suck' out their blood is a curio for sure. Despite some massive liberties being taken with the background details of the case in order for the film to come across as more shocking and glorified in its subject matter this was a grisly but interesting watch if a little far-fetched and silly at times.

63/100

Trapped (1982)

A backwoods exploitation-er in the vein of Deliverance starring Henry Silva as a redneck who is hell-bent on eliminating a group of college kids who witnessed him killing his wife. Some nice tension and scenes of cat and mouse throughout makes this an enjoyable, although at times a little stagnant, watch.

61/100

The Diabolical Dr. Z (1966)

One of my favourite Franco's in which a woman sets about to avenge her mad doctor father's death by subjecting a dancer named Miss Meurte (who happens to have long poisonous fingernails) to the doctor's experimental mind control device so she'll do her bidding and kill her enemies. Sumptuous black and white photography creates an almost Noir-like aura to the gothic, psychosexual pulp that makes up this absurd but charming film.

68/100

Black Swan (2010)

From one psychosexual film to another, but one in a completely different vein. A masterpiece for sure and one of the best the 2010s has so far had to offer.

89/100

Cherry Falls (2000)

Part of the slasher rejuvenation that occurred in the wake of Scream throughout the late '90s early '00s, whilst this one isn't anything remarkable, it brings a few interesting ideas to the table and is a fairly fun film overall. Certainly more enjoyable than my previous memories of it in any case.

58/100

Panic (Bakterion) (1982)

'80s Italian-Spanish co-production cheapy filmed in the UK about a scientist who goes on a murderous rampage after he is subjected to one of his own chemical experiments. Some gory kills and FX help elevate this one a little as well as a solid turn from David Warbeck and Janet Agren. The ensemble cast look a little lost at times throughout and the script holds little surprises for most horror fans. Solid enough overall though.

53/100

The Neon Demon (2016)

Refn films are a little like Marmite, and luckily for me I love Marmite. This is one of his best (if not the best) and a long overdue re-watch has cemented that fact in every sense.

85/100

Truck Turner (1974)

Going in I truly believed I'd seen this one before, but unless all memory of it had been erased from my brain I must believe otherwise. This one really impressed and has a great array of shoot-outs, car chases, violence, pimp hats, and just the right amount of cheese. It's also well shot with a story that draws you in rather than feels tacked-on. This one has instantly shot up towards the top of my list of fave Blaxploitation films.

72/100

The VVitch (2015)

The third time I've seen this one now and there can be no doubt in my mind that it is one of the best horror films of the last couple of decades.

85/100
Old 3rd February 2019, 04:27 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
This week's viewings:
How do you come up with your scores out of 100? do you have a matrix of things such as plot, acting, direction, cinematography etc?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd February 2019, 05:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
How do you come up with your scores out of 100? do you have a matrix of things such as plot, acting, direction, cinematography etc?
I have a Criticker account that I started years ago which defaults film scores out of 100. Now when I score something I just filter off on that film's year and see where it best fits in relation to other films that I've ranked from that year.

I score generally based on how I enjoy the film / how it effects me personally. For instance, there are terribly made films like Burial Ground that I really enjoy that are ranked highly and well-made films that I don't personally rate like Apocalypse Now and Schindler's List that are ranked lower. So, my rankings from an outsider pov are all over the place, but are personal to me - just how rankings should be, at least in my opinion.
Old 3rd February 2019, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I have a Criticker account that I started years ago which defaults film scores out of 100. Now when I score something I just filter off on that film's year and see where it best fits in relation to other films that I've ranked from that year.

I score generally based on how I enjoy the film / how it effects me personally. For instance, there are terribly made films like Burial Ground that I really enjoy that are ranked highly and well-made films that I don't personally rate like Apocalypse Now and Schindler's List that are ranked lower. So, my rankings from an outsider pov are all over the place, but are personal to me - just how rankings should be, at least in my opinion.
That makes sense to me because my letterboxd scores are on a scale of bad/ok/good/great/amazing so it's easy for me to quickly rate something but to everyone else it looks like I'm crazy Although I personally rate Burial Ground, Apocalpyse Now and Schindler's List

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd February 2019, 06:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That makes sense to me because my letterboxd scores are on a scale of bad/ok/good/great/amazing so it's easy for me to quickly rate something but to everyone else it looks like I'm crazy Although I personally rate Burial Ground, Apocalpyse Now and Schindler's List
b_e's a bit of (a lot of) a geek when it comes to lists and stats. Haven't you noticed. He has about 7000 lists on Letterboxd.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a similar score as say 67 out of 100 just by your Letterboxd score.

If you give something three stars then i see that as 60/100 and three and a half stars as 70/100.

Surely you can work out something in between for an actual score out of 100. Thinking somethings nearer three stars then say 62/100 for example.
Old 3rd February 2019, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I prefer the term 'fine purveyor of lists' rather than 'geek', but Dem has nailed my obsession with lists and stats fairly well - once an analyst always an analyst I guess!
Old 4th February 2019, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Brides Wore Blood (1972)

A regional film from Florida. The acting is average at very best, the monsters are terrible in a cringe inducing way and the film boasts barely any technical proficiency together with a plot that borders on the ludicrous - think Rosemary's Baby with added vampires wearing ridiculous joke shop false teeth.

Having said that i didn't actually dislike it and one or two gore scenes are quite well done for such a no-budget movie. An obscurity to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BWB_poster02_zpsjwazcl4e.jpg (70.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 4th February 2019, 06:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE PREDATOR-Don't know what all the negativity was in various mags.
Any Predator sequel isn't going to be in the same league as Arnie's original outing,but I found this daftly enjoyable.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th February 2019, 06:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

10 To Midnight -Classic Bronson.
Is the Twilight Time release slightly cut?

Anyone know?

Is there any point in me buying the Scream Factory edition?
Demoncrat likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!