Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 25th May 2010 12:14 AM

Just saw Heartless.
It was pretty good, I enjoyed it.
Jim Sturgess was amazing in it, you really felt for Jamie.
Kinda sad what happens to him at the end :(
I got kinda confused at the end though, did he have some kinda mental condition that made him see the monsters or was Papa B doing it all and feeding on his fear.

James Morton 25th May 2010 12:39 AM

What films have you seen recently?

just watched CRANK 2
brilliant!
just as fun and a fast paced actioner as the first
well, it had to be fast paced!
my only criticism, is that during the sex scene on the race track, the right wing moralists aka the US film censors, MPAA, have pixelated the scene
the directors said on the commentary track, it would of earned it a NC-17
crazy....even the BBFC would of passed it uncut!
and that's saying something

Gigantor 25th May 2010 03:30 AM

THE WICKERMAN remake stunk but I have to say the worst remakes are THE FOG and WHEN A STRANGER CALLS

vincenzo 25th May 2010 11:02 AM

The Werewolf & The Yeti

It gets worse the more you see it. :ack:

42ndStreetFreak 25th May 2010 04:52 PM

"Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon"

Aghh! Frustration!

This much liked homage/twist on the Slasher movie/Slasher killer starts off superbly with a very nice, very clever, astute, sometimes very funny and extremely well done "Man Bites Dog" type fake documentary on 'Leslie Vernon', an up and coming Slasher killer getting his big break.

Robert Englund does a fun Dr Loomis type nemesis turn, the conversations about other killers (in this world Jason, Myers, Freddy are actually real) are fun and full of fan homage and nods, the acting is all very good and the serious/comedic aspects are delivered well by the whole cast.
So all seems groo-oo-vy!

But then this clever and astute homage/parody twist on the Slasher film turns into an actual Slasher film.
And as such, seeing as it is (as already mentioned by golly) a clever and astute homage/parody twist on the Slasher film surely it would deliver in all the right ways AS a Slasher film in its own right when the time comes?
Sadly not.

The stalking scenes are messy, not very well staged and unexciting (and not remotely memorable in any way) and worse...worse...it has really, really boring kills!
Hold the ****ing phone people!
How the hell can a clever and astute homage to Slasher movies commit the ultimate dumb, failed to grasp the point, sin in a Slasher movie? That is...lame, boringly staged, flatly shot, barely bloody, basically goreless kill scenes! Even the big kill at the end is out of frame.

Thankfully a near the end plot twist, where we becomes serious, helps this portion of the film (and a fun about turn on the virgin girl cliche) but man, after the Slasher homage gold that came before...the final Slasher portion of the film is a real damp squib.

Worth a watch for sure, with a great first 2/3rds, but prepare to go from nearing orgasm to ending up with a bad case of blue balls by the time the credits roll.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2010 11:21 PM

Sunday was an Ozploitation day.:nod:

NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD-Fantastic documentary.The amount of faces put together was quite simply staggering.:nod:
I hope most of those films are out on DVD......

TURKEY SHOOT-The AWE disc is simply stunning.A cracking no-brainer,which I never tire of.

DEAD END DRIVE IN-Watched this again and whilst not as good as Turkey Shoot,the Aussies definetly had a flair for these low budget futuristic things.

MAD MAX-Classic,nuff said.

ROAD GAMES-Top notch thriller with good performances.

WOLF CREEK-Looked fantastic on Blu-Ray.
John Jarret made a fantastic psycho.
No happy endings here :cool:
The scariest thing about Wolf Creek is probably the Australian landscape itself.Primitive,desolate and infinite.
Technology ain't gonna help you out there....:eek:

vincenzo 25th May 2010 11:32 PM

Walkabout is probably my favourite Oz film. Unpleasant and brutal but brilliantly acted and photographed.

The original Mad Max is my favourite of the series. First saw it on the cinema with Friday The 13th of all things.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2010 11:35 PM

As long as it's the original Aussie accents.:nod:

Watching it with the Oz dub and the subtitles on is hilarious!:pound:

vincenzo 25th May 2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 81478)
Watching it with the Oz dub and the subtitles on is hilarious!:pound:

Definitely. The UK version plays the US dub by default and I wondered what the heck was going on. Thank heavens the Oz dub is an option.

42ndStreetFreak 26th May 2010 04:44 PM

Amazing how many years we never had the original audio track.

First appeared on sell-through VHS with a great big 'original Australian dialogue' sticker on the case. LOL.

"The Crying Tree"

Cheapy cheap cheap SOV Thai Slasher flick that entertains despite itself.

The way people act and react, and the frequent fade to black explicitly defined scene endings, make it feel like a TV soap. The high end video look does not help matters either in this respect.

Also the script is full of logic holes (despite guests being butchered at this resort almost every night nothing is really done about it by the Police or owners, who would ever accept a lift from a driver wearing a hood and balaclava!) and repeats itself to a near farcical level (some random guy pops up, really sleazes it up with the, VERY cute, lead female character and promptly ends up stabbed and slashed with their heart cut out...repeat about 5 times with almost no change) and you have to wonder if going to a Thai resort is a good idea as the staff seems to be made up of very angry young men who pull knives on people at the slightest whim!

The gore is mostly aftermath wounds, bloody blades and much blood spurting from mouths and dodgy looking rubber hearts.
But there's an energy to it, the kills are just bloody and violent enough, the lead actress is absolutely gorgeous, the barmy plotting and characters entertain with much unintentional humour and there is a pretty good little twist at the end.

Barely average fare in general, cheap, silly, but surprisingly still quite good fun.