Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th February 2019, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

So Sweet So Dead.

A chap in the classic giallo outfit of black mack, hat and gloves is on the rampage stabbing slutty housewives to death who have been unfaithful to their husbands and leaving photographic evidense of their cheating next to the corpses. And farley Granger is the Inspector who is trying to stop the killers murder spree.

From director Roberto bianchi this is a pretty decent giallo effort. okay, not up there with the stylish Argento and Fulci's, but still a very entertaining film that moves along nicely with hot babes and great kills, including a suspenseful sequence on the beach.
Foxy Nieves Navarro aka susan Scott also has a small part too before falling victim to the killers knife. and that weird blond chap with the long hair from death Walks in High Heels, who plays a creepy morgue attendant who has a weird fetish for dead bodies.

definately well worth a watch for giallo fans 74 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_p099mzfyta1qa934fo2_500.jpg (9.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 25th February 2019, 05:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Mole People (1956)

John Agar leads a Tibetan expedition to an underground cave system where they come across human size moles. Untypically it's not the moles which are the threat, it's their pale skinned human captors who live in a typical Hollywood lost city and use the mole people as mining slaves.

Not the best example of it's kind, at times it's like watching a stock footage climbing expedition and it's as cliche as they come as Agar and co race against time to free the mole slaves but it's made watchable by the mole people and their well conceived burrowing method.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mole_People_4775.jpg (41.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 25th February 2019, 11:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Great Outdoors (1988)

From the John Hughes stable of films, The Great Outdoors is fun but a little silly in places mainly due to an OTT performance from Dan Aykroyd.

However the always likable John Candy is on hand to add warmth and a more subtle humour to proceedings. Although a few set pieces are good this lacks the laugh out loud moments of an Uncle Buck or Home Alone.

Special guest star Bart the Bear and some playful Raccoons naturally steal the show.

It's a while since i've watched this and for a PG i was surprised how much swearing and sexual references were in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-great-outdoors-movie-poster-1988-1020203909.jpg (59.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th February 2019, 01:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Eagle Has Landed 1976.

In Germany 1943, the Nazi's have a plan to send a troop to England and Kidnap prime minister Winston Churchill.

Decent WWII film filmed from the Germans view from the arrival of the Jews and a soldier showing sympathy them to the plot of kidnapping and tasking the man to send in to infiltrate the area of disguise.

Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, Donald Sutherland play their parts well as the soldiers, and Donald Pleasance plays Himmler very creepy and is very realistic to the real Heinrich Himmler who was a total B@#&erd. Decent film to watch but can be a bit slow at times. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268x0w.jpg (27.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th February 2019, 02:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Really disappointed with Halloween 2018, especially considering all of the positivity that the film generated. The film struggles to provide any real tension and it all feels quite forgettable imo. I honestly thought that H20 was better and I don't even own that. After viewing this, I immediately felt like rewatching the vastly superior original Halloween II.

btw It's certainly not a popular opinion but I honestly thought that the two Rob Zombie entries were superior (although the kid Myers segment of part one is fairly excruciating). I couldn't award Halloween 2018 any more than a six out of ten, the John Carpenter score is the best thing about it.
Old 26th February 2019, 08:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Really disappointed with Halloween 2018, especially considering all of the positivity that the film generated. The film struggles to provide any real tension and it all feels quite forgettable imo. I honestly thought that H20 was better and I don't even own that. After viewing this, I immediately felt like rewatching the vastly superior original Halloween II.

btw It's certainly not a popular opinion but I honestly thought that the two Rob Zombie entries were superior (although the kid Myers segment of part one is fairly excruciating). I couldn't award Halloween 2018 any more than a six out of ten, the John Carpenter score is the best thing about it.
Nice one. I thought I was alone in being disappointed with the movie.
It did nothing for me at all and to be honest I was bored.
I saw it at the cinema and won't be seeing it again. And yes, I agree the music was the best thing about it.
I'm sticking with the original Halloween and Halloween II. They are the only films in the franchise that mean anything to me.
Old 26th February 2019, 09:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

grizzly-1976.jpg
GRIZZLY (1976)

Great entertainment. Another movie I had not seen in quite a while.
When I saw the film years ago it must have been the version cut for an 'A' cert here in the UK because I certainly don't remember the film being so violent.
The Grizzly attacks are good and what is even better is that it is a real bear on show here and not the man in a suit variety.
Good fun for nature gone wild fans.
Old 26th February 2019, 12:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lords Of Chaos

Bad News with knives. Varg is fat. Euronymous is thin. Literally jaw dropping. Treat it like a comedy. Be warned. Death scenes unrelenting.
Watched Green Room same night as mate hadn't seen that .. a slightly more user friendly tale of music and murder.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th February 2019, 12:44 PM
Cult Veteran

Lords of Chaos was a weird one, it seems like they made Varg into a buffoon character because he wouldn’t be involved. I enjoyed but can imagine loads won’t. First 20 mins was like a frat party with corpse paint. Great soundtrack though, fake Burzum song not included!
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th February 2019, 02:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I'm sticking with the original Halloween and Halloween II. They are the only films in the franchise that mean anything to me.
They're the best two for sure (by a long way!) but I also happily own Season of the Witch, and Zombieween 1 and 2 (theatrical cut for 1, director's cut for 2). The other Halloween franchise films are all quite forgettable imo.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 26th February 2019 at 02:25 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!