Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2019, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Strange Shadows in An Empty Room.

Stuart Whitman stars as a Dirty Harry style cop that goes to montreal to find out who has murdered his sister.

Another very entertaining film in deed from director Alberto de martino. Featuring a great cast, with John Saxon and martin Landau, and my favourite Zombie Flesh Eaters actress tisa Farrow as a blind girl.
definately worth a watch, with a good giallo style mystery and murders and great action and superb car chases. And Stuart Whitman even gets to beat up a bunch of kung fu kicking transvestites.
Top stuff. maybe not a masterpiece, but a solid recommend. 73 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (4.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th February 2019, 02:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Lords of Chaos was a weird one, it seems like they made Varg into a buffoon character because he wouldn’t be involved. I enjoyed but can imagine loads won’t. First 20 mins was like a frat party with corpse paint. Great soundtrack though, fake Burzum song not included!
Amory Cohen a shoo in for the Bill Hicks biopic certainly. I had to spend most of the film explaining why I was laughing so hard. Lawdy!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th February 2019, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I’m surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Halloween ‘18. I watched it last night and enjoyed it. A little tonally uneven with some of the scenes with the teenagers, but I found it to be pretty tense once it got going and I found central performances to be really good.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th February 2019, 03:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I’m surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for Halloween ‘18. I watched it last night and enjoyed it. A little tonally uneven with some of the scenes with the teenagers, but I found it to be pretty tense once it got going and I found central performances to be really good.
I want it but see no point buying it now when i won't be watching it until the end of October.

Does the dvd have a slip case? That would persuade me cos they'll probably all be gone by October.
Old 26th February 2019, 03:30 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I want it but see no point buying it now when i won't be watching it until the end of October.

Does the dvd have a slip case? That would persuade me cos they'll probably all be gone by October.

It does yet, looks nice. When I watched it yesterday I actually thought about you and how you’d never dream of watching it in the spring haha.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th February 2019, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It does yet, looks nice. When I watched it yesterday I actually thought about you and how you’d never dream of watching it in the spring haha.
Ha! I'll pick a copy up this week then if the slipcase is nice. Cheers.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th February 2019, 04:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I saw it at the cinema so maybe that made it more effective, but i really enjoyed the new Halloween film.

Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 26th February 2019, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Monster of London City (1964)

A well produced West German psycho thriller or Krimi. The Monster of London City brings the Jack the Ripper murders into the modern day as prostitutes are stalked and murdered across London's foggy streets.

A nicely constructed 'whodunnit' which focuses on a Ripper play being performed by an Edgar Allan Poe theatre group and the signs point to it's producer being the killer.

The German Krimi's were definitely forerunners to Italian Giallo films and this is no exception. You only need to look at the film poster to see typical Giallo motifs. The kills are brutal (for the time) and there's even mild nudity and the style of the film harks back to London by gaslight evoking a sense of the Gothic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monsteroflcpost.JPG (56.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th February 2019, 09:43 PM
Cult Addict

Sons of the Desert
Laurel and Hardy plan to go to a convention, however are unable to persuade their wives, so they lie to their wives and go anyway. Leading to them being in a sticky situation.
Another enjoyable comedy from the duo. The moment where laurel eats the wax fruit without realising alone is a chuckle.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 26th February 2019, 09:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

I Know What You Did Last Summer. On Graduation Night, four schoolfriends accidentally hit a man in the middle of the road with their car. Fearful that they will be blamed they dispose of the body and try to get on with their lives... but a year later someone has other ideas. Jennifer Love Hewitt, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Freddie Prinze Jnr and Ryan Phillippe star in this late 90s post-Scream teen slasher flick that I haven't seen for ages. I've never been a massive fan of this one, and I think it's because it's very tonally inconsistent, starting out as an essentially serious drama/thriller that wants to play with adult themes of guilt and responsibility, only to then turn into a silly slasher flick in the second half (this is what happens when you lift the premise from a serious book and then try to rip off Scream!), with a very dumb ending to boot. It's okay, the actors are good, and it does look superb on Blu ray (glad I got it) but gimme Urban Legend any day to be honest.

Like this? Share it using the links below!