Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2019, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default What Films Have You Seen Recently?

I’d gladly watch Emma Stone in anything, I’d even start watching that BBC show we have an entire thread dedicated to if she was announced as the next star
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th February 2019, 09:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Overlord (2018)

Loving this. Back soon schweinhunds!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th February 2019, 04:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

I'm sorry but i just can't generate much love for this Hammer / Shaw Brothers co-production. The plot, if there even is one, is just an excuse for a series of fights between Van Helsing's traveling party and the 7 golden vampires from the film's title. Yup! That's pretty much it a series of near identical martial art combat sequences broken up by Peter Cushing, Julie Ege and Robin Stewart's exposition.

As a Hammer film it's a poor excuse and was made solely for the ailing company to break into the Asian market but it's also lacking as a classic Run Run Shaw film too.

It is often classed as the ninth Dracula film but sadly Christopher Lee is absent altogether so we have to make do with a dubbed look alike in John Forbes-Robertson.

I can see that fans of Hong Kong cinema will enjoy this more than me who found it completely uninvolving and lacking in everything that Hammer are famous for. One look at the UK quad poster should tell you all you need to know as both Cushing and Julie Ege are conspicuous by their absence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9d256f0c-b09f-4b57-af55-0d9b1fe0314c.jpeg (68.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 28th February 2019, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Murder obsession.

Michael(Stefano Patrrizi) a mentally disturbed actor with a childhood trauma, goes to visit his mother(anita strindberg) at her creepy mansion in the country. together with his sexy girl friend Deborah and acting friends including Laura Gemser from the Black Emanuelle films.
And strange things start to happen including weird dreams and a black gloved maniac on the rampage.

I have to say that i quite enjoyed this giallo from director Riccardo freda. sure, it's a bit all over the place and some of the gore special effects are laugable, including the most unconvincing axe to the head that i've ever seen. and also the hilarious rubber spider and bats in a satanic black mass dream sequence.
But it is a lot of fun and actually quite stylish. and has some very attractive euro babes in their birthday suits as well. What more can you ask for?

So i will award this gothic style giallo a respectable 72 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg murder-syndrome-obsession-aka-fear-1981-movie-1.jpg (12.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st March 2019, 12:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oi!!

Overlord was great. Utter nonsense from beginning til end. Ouchy bits and all.
Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st March 2019, 12:51 PM
Cultist

The Defender

6/10

Decent Jet Li film. Typical Jet Li style action with an annoying child. Jet Li still couldnae lace the boots of Jackie Chan, Yuen Biao etc, he'd need wires to climb a flight of stairs.

Ghost

7/10

Quality Swayze that only the most cold hearted of cu*ts wouldn't shed a wee tear at the end.

Skinny Tiger, Fatty Dragon

5/10

Really no a fan of this one. Karl Maka is annoying as fu*k in it. Decent fight with Sammo and Lau Kar Wing though.

House of Whipcord

7/10

Sheila Keith plays a right gid bad bast*rd as usual. There's also a complete dick that cuts about like an evil 70s Keith Richards called Mark E. DeSade. Very subtle. Also a blonde lassie that has some of the worst acting ever.
Old 1st March 2019, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I laughed all the way through Ghost. Sorry!

Commando (Mark L Lester, 1985)

They do not make them like this anymore. A better Queen tribute than that film wot they just dun did imho, this rollicking tale of revenge and violence is still quite jaw dropping.

[B]
Old 1st March 2019, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Devil Rides Out (1968)

The best Occult film bar none. Based on Dennis Wheatley's best selling novel, The Devil Rides Out is one of the best British horror films of all time.

On inspection The Devil Rides Out is possibly more akin to a period James Bond film than it is to a typical Hammer Gothic horror melodrama. Terence Fisher directs with consummate ease as the story positively zips along under the spell of James Bernard's terrific looming score with various action sequences along the way. Christopher Lee makes Wheatley's Duc de Richleau character his own with a performance of power and heroism. In fact the whole cast, from Charles Gray's devilish Mocata to Sarah Lawson's seemingly put upon wife who wins through in the end, are uniformly excellent.

The film sports set pieces to kill for and images that have gone down through the generations as classics of horror, from the magnificent Angel of Death to the pièce de résistance, which comes half way through the film as we witness at a terrifying Occult ceremony the Goat of Mendes, (Baphomet), the Devil himself, take form and watch over proceedings. It's a stunning piece of film making and the best version of the Devil put on film to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the+devil+rides+out+movie+poster.jpg (87.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 1st March 2019, 01:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Transporter: Refuelled

I was dreading this film as no Jason Statham, but the person who took over wasn't that bad. His voice and line delivery was monotone but action sequences he was involved in wern't that bad.

Best actor in the film was Ray Stevenson playing Frank's dad and he got "kidnapped" so Frank had a reason to be there lol. It wasn't that bad.
Old 1st March 2019, 02:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Devil Rides Out (1968)

The best Occult film bar none. Based on Dennis Wheatley's best selling novel, The Devil Rides Out is one of the best British horror films of all time.

On inspection The Devil Rides Out is possibly more akin to a period James Bond film than it is to a typical Hammer Gothic horror melodrama. Terence Fisher directs with consummate ease as the story positively zips along under the spell of James Bernard's terrific looming score with various action sequences along the way. Christopher Lee makes Wheatley's Duc de Richleau character his own with a performance of power and heroism. In fact the whole cast, from Charles Gray's devilish Mocata to Sarah Lawson's seemingly put upon wife who wins through in the end, are uniformly excellent.

The film sports set pieces to kill for and images that have gone down through the generations as classics of horror, from the magnificent Angel of Death to the pièce de résistance, which comes half way through the film as we witness at a terrifying Occult ceremony the Goat of Mendes, (Baphomet), the Devil himself, take form and watch over proceedings. It's a stunning piece of film making and the best version of the Devil put on film to date.

One of my favourite Hammer films, absolute classic and far more enjoyable than the source material
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!