Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2019, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enjoyed this just as much as the two times I saw it at the cinema , granted some stuff was glossed over but it still highly enjoyable and a film that's shows critics really don't have a clue, Rami Malek Oscar was well deserved. 9.5/10

Went to see this on the big screen on Monday , nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this chilling and atmospheric classic. Was great to see it on the big screen in all it's glory. 10/10
Old 5th March 2019, 11:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Slaughter House Rulez (2018)

So so romp. Fish out of water? Ancient prophecy? Claret? Check! A mishmash of ideas float around this public school set carry on. New boy finds out something is awry at his new academy. Harry Potter it's nae . It improves as it goes on imho. Pegg, Frost et al do their best in the background ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th March 2019, 11:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tentacles 1977.

A giant mutated octopus wreaks havoc at a coastal beach.

Welcome to a Jaws rip off, filmed between Italy and California with a all American star cast with John Huston, Shelley Winters, Bo Hopkins, it does look like it was badly dubbed, and a actress who sounds like she voiced Olga in Argento's Suspiria and Burial Ground. Think the director tried to recreate what was done before with something coming out of the water P.O.V and failed miserably. The music was done by Stelvio Cipriani, who must have thought this was a bad movie as his music was re done in this from the movie What have they done to your daughters. If you got nothing better to watch and be bored check this out, unless you want a background film on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Ttentacles_-_Film_1977.jpg (29.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th March 2019, 12:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have to admit it took me 3 attempts ro get through it. I much prefer his rather insane The Visitor from '79. That also features John Huston ... to great effect IMHO. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th March 2019, 12:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I have to admit it took me 3 attempts ro get through it. I much prefer his rather insane The Visitor from '79. That also features John Huston ... to great effect IMHO. Ahem.
That's the first I have watched it and the last, The Visitor I haven't seen in a long time one to look back on.
Demoncrat, keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Monkey Shines (Romero)

Under appreciated tale of a wheelchair bound man and his helper monkey who develop a psychic bond, said monkey gets a bit kill-happy! More of a drama than a horror (think Regarding Henry or Awakenings), so have patience if watching for the first time, based on a book with echos of Michael Crichton (has put me in the mood for more "science gone amuk" pictures.....perhaps a bit of Invisible Man action later).
Extras on the Eureka disc are extensive to say the least so will go through those later!
Old 6th March 2019, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Premature Burial (1962)

Not so much a great story as a frightening essay on what seemed to be Edgar Allan Poe's greatest fear - that of being buried alive in a state of catalepsy.

Ray Milland stars (Vincent Price is not missed) and is brilliant, being a star of many romantic films over his career it's easy to see why scheming Hazel Court falls for him as she works out how best to kill him off thanks to his obsession of being buried alive, but in truth the plot is almost secondary to the Gothic atmosphere on offer from director Roger Corman. Everything from rain lashed nights and swirling graveyard mists to eerie dream sequences, Premature Burial is a film that positively reeks with decay leading up to a genuinely chilling and tension filled finale.
Old 6th March 2019, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Supernatural Forces (aka The Mind's Eye aka Scanners 9 (2016, Joe Begos)

Even if the S word isn't heard .... this is what it is. 18 n all so there's no skimping on the grue. Recommended to lovers of schlock!! Usual drill ... bad and good eyepoppers battle it out etc

[B]
Old 6th March 2019, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Exotica 1994.

At a men's strip club Exotica, a man, Francis finds solace their with a girl who usually dances for him, a pet store owner Thomas who smugglers in eggs, the club's DJ Eric who knows about Francis's past and pain which leads to a climax.

Don't be fooled about the title, this is not about men living out their fantasies, yeah there is nudity but it's mild, this isn't one of those erotic thrillers it's more about drama.

Director Atom Egoyan made this brilliantly, with the characters having some background stories that are never boring and how they seem connected through some circumstances and how they can move on. From start to finish its entertaining and never seems to get off track or be boring. Worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exotica-movie-poster-1994.jpg (10.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th March 2019, 08:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Deadpool. First time since the cinema, and still a lot of fun thanks to good characters and its very funny, irreverent tone.

Like this? Share it using the links below!