Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2019, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just watched "Neon Demon". There's 1hr 57min that I could've used to... er, I don't know, er, floss my nostrils with lubricated condoms, watch a 100metre snail race, take up rare post box spotting.. anything except watching "Neon Demon"!
I'm not a great fan of "fashion" or the boyish waifs that designers like to hang their "creations" on. -18/1

Monster Magnet
Old 6th March 2019, 09:56 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

Superb.Superb transfer.
A classic.

I think John Carpenter may have seen this one.......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 6th March 2019, 10:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I just watched "Neon Demon". There's 1hr 57min that I could've used to... er, I don't know, er, floss my nostrils with lubricated condoms, watch a 100metre snail race, take up rare post box spotting.. anything except watching "Neon Demon"!
I'm not a great fan of "fashion" or the boyish waifs that designers like to hang their "creations" on. -18/1
Agreed! I'm amazed you made it all the way through! I managed 22 mins before selling it to cex! Lol! Expected more as it was very over hyped.
keirarts and troggi like this.
Old 6th March 2019, 11:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism. (1967)

Another extremely loose adaptation of Edgar Allan Poe's classic story The Pit and the Pendulum. The pendulum sections are really just a wrap around story for a succession of notable set pieces, in particular the deliriously disturbing nightmarish sequences of the coach journey ranging from the terrifying woods with the trees garlanded with corpses and limbs protruding from trunks and branches.

The coach and horses journey to the Count's castle takes up a good quarter of the films running time, and whilst this could have dragged the pace to a standstill in this film its the most memorable part due to the imagery on offer. The hanging corpses in the mist are extremely eerie and scary. Director Reinl's camera slowly guides past them allowing us the coachman's view of proceedings, no wonder he dies of a heart attack midway through the journey.

Of the actors, Karin Dor is lovely and makes for a perfect victim. Former Tarzan, Lex Barker is good value for money as the square jawed hero. Unfortunately it is Christopher Lee who drew the short straw as his character, the Count, is only in the aforementioned pendulum parts and an early prologue before he's captured and killed and not revived until the last third.

Whilst The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism is a good film it can't be classed as one of the great Gothic horrors, and it is really only the surreal nightmarish coach journey that will stay in your head after the film finishes rather than the story itself. In fact the visuals are so strong it really is a case of style over substance. If only Mario Bava had directed it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_me9pefoGUO1qdezf9o1_500.jpg (73.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 7th March 2019, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Haunting of Borley Rectory 2018.

A U.S serviceman in WWII is placed in a area of Essex at a house, soon believes that its haunted by a nun and asks famed ghost hunter Harry Price for help.

Set During 1939-43. Anyone familiar with the history of the haunting and seen documentaries....stick to them, the acting was, excuse my French... F@#king crap, the story line wondered badly off the topic, at the start Harry mentioned having a bad experience, flashback... Ermmm what happened, I didn't see that, the jump scares were really predictable. Whoever said this was terrifying was obviously watching a different film, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
Old 7th March 2019, 02:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Kill Baby Kill! (1966)

It is well documented elsewhere that Mario Bava made Kill Baby Kill in eleven days for a bet. Understandably the film doesn't have much plot but it is compensated for by Bava's exquisite atmospherics. Bava's strong visuals have always been a strength of his films but here he produces his greatest work especially given the time constraints.

Bava gives us tombs with cobwebs so large they hang like curtains, wonderful fog shrouded streets, a brilliant spiral staircase sequence so disorientating that it could have come from Hitchcock himself , the heroic Giacomo Rossi Stuart pursuing an unidentified figure through identical rooms only to catch up with himself,and best and most iconic of all, the ghostly Melissa's ball bouncing through corridors and down streets sending all who see her to terrifying deaths.

Kill Baby Kill is hard to better for subtle, malevolent, supernatural atmosphere. Every shot has been lovingly orchestrated by Bava to achieve maximum impact from his lighting and colours to wonderful dramatic effect and endows the film with bloodstained beauty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8ea6c5c61cfd6c48b6701029c3963852.jpg (97.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th March 2019, 02:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Gate

80's horror fun as some kids open a gate to let "the old gods" (really lots of cool practical and stop motion creatures) wreak havoc in their little corner of suburbia. Gremlins, Ghoulies, Troll, they really don't make them as fun as this any more. This film has really grown on me, cementing how bad Stranger Things, It remake & all the other 80's imitators are.

Best enjoyed with nostalgia.
Old 7th March 2019, 03:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Neon Demon

Erm, well.... Yeah

I had the "pleasure" of watching this 2 days ago and after hyping it up in my mind I was expecting brilliance and what I got was long drawn out sequences of jelous models and long lustful stares towards Ellie Fanning which the film built up to be the most gorgeous women ever.

The lass who got turned down and had a rant in the bathroom was prettier. Keanu Reeves was wasted and I think they just had him in it to boast on the dvd cover "starring Keanu Reeves" like they do on the straight to dvd films.

The ending was stupid and out of nowhere and it just nose dived. It was odd to say the least.

5/10
Old 7th March 2019, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

The sadist.

A psycho killer(Arch Hall Jr) and his simple minded girlfriend take three teachers hostage after their car breaks down at a petrol station.

Have to say that i really enjoyed this one. it is a bit slow paced and doesnt have an awful lot of plot, but it keeps you entertained despite the lack of gore and has a pretty tense atmosphere too.
lead actor Hall gives a chilling performance and is quite believable in his role even if he does go a bit OTT at times.

Overall a good recommended thriller that deserves a respectable score of 73 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thesadist2.jpg (77.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th March 2019, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thats-Your-Funeral-1972-Full-Movie-Watch-Online-Free.jpg
THAT'S YOUR FUNERAL (1972)

Hammer Films comedy based on the TV series. Quite why Hammer chose to make the series in to a film is a mystery as it was not that popular and was cancelled after one series.
That said, the film full of British comedy actors and chugs along at a good pace.
Plenty of funeral jokes, missing bodies and mix ups.
The highlight is near the end when a coffin full of hash gets cremated and the mourners get stoned on the smoke.

Like this? Share it using the links below!