Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 21st January 2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314412)
Yes,he is planning to release an extended cut in the future

Oh bloody hell!

sawyer6 21st January 2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314414)
Oh bloody hell!

I ,personally ,want to know more about the trackers

Susan Foreman 21st January 2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 314282)
Todays films were:

Age of heroes a film inspired by the real life exploits of 30 Commando during the second world war. This stars Sean Bean, doing his best to sound posh as the major commanding an operation to assault a Nazi radar station in snowy Norway and Danny Dyer (giving one of his usual performances) as a misfit infantry corporal released from military prison to take part in the raid. Its relatively low budget, but this doesn't hamper things too much and the film is a slightly above average effort and well worth the €5 I paid for the bluray.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 314294)
What happened to Sean Bean?

He just disappears. :lol:

No - he turns into a woman!

Accused Series 2 Trailer - Original British Drama - BBC One - YouTube

(Time count 0:44)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314399)
Hawkmonger's gonna see that and get all excited at thinking that Dredd was a Best Picture winner :)

That was one of the few I saw which wasn't! The other was the flabby, overlong and, at times, boring, Django Unchained which is very well acted but clearly finds Tarantino at his most self-indulgent. I got the feeling he was so in love with the characters he created, he couldn't bear to cut any of their lines so several scenes outstayed their welcome.

As has been said, the KKK scene with Jonah Hill should have been left on the cutting room floor along with Tarantino's cameo and atrocious Australian accent. I couldn't bear to see an extended version, but would like to see him 'trim the fat' and cut it down to around the two-hour mark.

Demoncrat 21st January 2013 12:43 PM

Two rewatches. Sergio Martino's Torso & Thomas Cappelen Malling's Norwegian Ninja.
After WWE (see last post) I had to watch something less....shit. These sufficed. I played the "guess the miscreant" game with Torso, and blow me if the mate didn't guess correctly.
Must show him ALIAWS next methinks haha.

NN just as much of a hoot as when I first saw it. :)

PaulD 21st January 2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314454)
That was one of the few I saw which wasn't! The other was the flabby, overlong and, at times, boring, Django Unchained which is very well acted but clearly finds Tarantino at his most self-indulgent. I got the feeling he was so in love with the characters he created, he couldn't bear to cut any of their lines so several scenes outstayed their welcome.

As has been said, the KKK scene with Jonah Hill should have been left on the cutting room floor along with Tarantino's cameo and atrocious Australian accent. I couldn't bear to see an extended version, but would like to see him 'trim the fat' and cut it down to around the two-hour mark.

I like how we both object to the same specific parts of he film but I really liked it and you didn't! Film appreciations kinda cool like that.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 01:00 PM

I thought the Johna Hill KKK seen was funny. :(

sawyer6 21st January 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314467)

The KKK scene was funny ;)

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 01:12 PM

So did nobody else see Berberian Sound Studio as a Beckett-esque tragicomedy?

Its comedic elements were overwhelming to me. I would unhesitatingly describe it as a comedy if someone asked what genre I thought it was.

PaulD 21st January 2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314469)
The KKK scene was funny ;)

They weren't the KKK :)

Slippery Jack 21st January 2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314474)
So did nobody else see Berberian Sound Studio as a Beckett-esque tragicomedy?

I saw it as a Polanski-esque descent into madness with a few moments of absurdist humor - I chuckled everytime Massimo & Massimo turned up :lol:

fuzzymctiger 21st January 2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314407)
Recent viewings:

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.

For a film based off a video by a YouTube comedian, I'm not surprised either! :pound:

PaulD 21st January 2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 314480)
For a film based off a video by a YouTube comedian, I'm not surprised either! :pound:

Really? After watching it I found out one of the cast was famous for being a YouTube celebrity but didn't know the film was based on something he'd already done.

fuzzymctiger 21st January 2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 314479)
I saw it as a Polanski-esque descent into madness with a few moments of absurdist humor - I chuckled everytime Massimo & Massimo turned up :lol:

You know, I saw it about a week ago, and I haven't written anything here because I'm still wrapping my head around it.

I've read some fantastic theories here, and it reminds me a lot of Mulholland Drive, with the sudden change near the end, and the ending which leaves you sitting there expecting more.

Didn't help I had old farts behind me cracking jokes through out the ads and the opening. Shut them up nice and quickly though I did :nod:

fuzzymctiger 21st January 2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314481)
Really? After watching it I found out one of the cast was famous for being a YouTube celebrity but didn't know the film was based on something he'd already done.

It was a fake trailer originally, like a parody, but it was so hugely popular they tried to make a full movie out of it.

And Machete and Hobo With A Shotgun it was not.

fuzzymctiger 21st January 2013 01:47 PM

I HAVE SEEN SO MANY GODDAMN MOVIE THIS CHRISTMAS!!
I actually gave up writing them all here. But I'll salvage what I remember.

Amazing Spider Man - Shits all over Raimis films. Garfield is the perfect spiderman, perfectly embodying the character he was in the comics. Recommended

Wreck It Ralph - Good god I loved this almost too much. Loved the references. The first couple of scenes were a bit slow, trying to cram as many references in as possible, while almost getting cringe-worthy, peaking with an extremely out of place Skrillex cameo. But things get a lot better once Ralph leaves his game, and it's great from there. Highly Recommended

Frankenweenie - I think a lot of people here would get a kick out of this, adaption of the live action short film, features great B&W stop motion, with a Vincent Price inspired science teacher, and a homage to the classic monster in the finale which was so excellent, homaging the likes of Gremlins, Godzilla, werewolves and all other crazy things. Typical Tim Burton fare, but Depp free, and a great film.

Who Dares Wins - You Brits can make an absolute cracker of a movie. Was quite unsure about this one at first, but thoroughly enjoyed it in the end.

The Birds - A fantastic Hitchcock film, slow to get going, then becomes absolutely terrifying. Would almost said this may have inspired the early Zombie movies a bit.

Killing Them Softly - Eeeerm. Gee. Look, if I could understand half the things they were saying, I probably would have enjoyed it more. Fantastic cinematography, and great performances, but really all over the place. Maybe give it a rent if the disc has subtitles.

Lady Snowblood - A great little Japanese film about revenge. Don't seem to remember much about this one, just that I enjoyed it.

Basket Case 2 - A good fun sequel, but the new style Belial felt a bit jarring at first, but quickly warmed to him. Loved the little friends in the home.

Puppet Master - Some good fun, but really didn't add up to much for me. Still good though, just felt like not a lot happened at all.

The Hobbit - Great film, with good fun scenes, great cast, and great writing. Typical Jackson fare, extremely enjoyable.

Zombie Holocaust - Watched this one today. Shriek Show blu was now where near as bad as it was made out to be. Fun little zombie cannibal film, felt almost like Fulcis Zombie, except with Cannibals instead. Love the bit with the dummy and the hospital window though.

Black Christmas - Holy shit on a stick. That was amazing!! Olivia Hussey really gives a shit house performance, but John Saxon makes up for it. A really, really chilling film, with some great bits in it, and a hair tearing ambiguous ending that you'll lose sleep over. Have to say, the sound effects sounded rerecorded, not sure if they were, but when Phil walks into the room with the dead girl, and the door slams shut, that was simply the single most pant shittingly terrifying sound I have ever heard. Like creaking, quiet screaming and glass smashing. If anyone has this, just stick this bit on and listen closely.

Splice - Good fun homage to old exploitation flicks and horror, with great cast and writing. If you liked Night Of The Creeps, you'll love this!

Well that's all I can think off for now. I've seen some great films recently!

Rik 21st January 2013 01:58 PM

Continuing on with the Super-hero theme of Spider-man, I followed it with the first two parts in Christopher Nolan's excellent Batman trilogy. Both outstanding films IMO.

Susan Foreman 21st January 2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 314486)
Zombie Holocaust - Watched this one today. Shriek Show blu was now where near as bad as it was made out to be. Fun little zombie cannibal film, felt almost like Fulcis Zombie, except with Cannibals instead. Love the bit with the dummy and the hospital window though.

When I show the DVD to people who have no idea about these kind of films, that's the bit I ALWAYS point out to them!

fuzzymctiger 21st January 2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 314492)
When I show the DVD to people who have no idea about these kind of films, that's the bit I ALWAYS point out to them!

I called my brother in from the complete other side of the house for that bit, he noticed it first time!

ArgentoFan1987 21st January 2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314407)
Recent viewings:

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - a far more appreciative second viewing. A film about the sound of horror and the horror of sound. And much more. Has a dreamy Lynchian "is it or isn't it?" vibe which seems to be open to different interpretations without it seeming like a cop out. Excellent sound design too. I can't wait to watch it again with the commentary, not in hope of a concrete of an explanation but just to find out more about the film's production.

Django Unchained (2012) - an excellent, if at times frustrating, entry into Tarantino's filmography. Uncomfortable at times but also darkly witty with some excellent scenes of violence towards the end, it wears its influences on its sleeve but in a way which will won't annoy Tarantino aficionados (although I doubt it'll change the mind of his detractors much). The performances are uniformly excellent; the interaction between Jaime Fox and Christoph Waltz is fantastic, DiCaprio is magnificently evil and disgusting and Samuel L Jackson practically steals the show with his disturbing portrayal as a house slave. Some moments don't work (the jarring Jonah Hill comedy scene for one), Tarantino's "G'day mayte!" appearance is a shocker and it could have been leaner, tighter and 30 minutes shorter but overall I was very impressed.

Dead and Buried (1981) - feels like a Stephen King story done by John Carpenter. Or something. I really enjoyed this. That is all

Smiley (2012) - Bloody Mary for the Chatroulette age. Candyman for the terminally braindead. A group of college kids become involved in the urban legend of Smiley; a killer who is summoned if you type "I did it for the lulz" 3 times to someone via video chat. I am not making this up. Needless to say it's abysmal. Plot hole upon plot hole combine with bad performances and dialogue to make a laughable attempt at a new slasher franchise with an absurd nonsensical ending.

Dead & Burried is a favourite of mine! So weird and twisted and right up my alley. I'm going to see Django Unchaines a week on Thursday. I can't wait!!!!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

I thought it was pretty amusing, but it was completely out of place and almost belonged to a completely different film.

J Harker 21st January 2013 03:01 PM

A bit like the Mike Myers cameo in Inglorious Basterds?

pedromonkey 21st January 2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314508)
I thought it was pretty amusing, but it was completely out of place and almost belonged to a completely different film.

It was a well written scene, it was pretty funny but it didn't belong, it was like Tarantino said 'hey i'm making a movie about westerns, Blazing Saddles is a western and it's funny maybe i need a blazing saddles moment', it's like putting the fallen madonna with the big boobies into Schindler's List, it doesn't belong.

Susan Foreman 21st January 2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 314508)

Like the Orson Welles cameo in 'Carry On Matron'

Hold on - I'm drunk, aren't I?

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 314514)
A bit like the Mike Myers cameo in Inglorious Basterds?

Or the ludicrous animated sequence in Kill Bill...

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314517)
Or the ludicrous animated sequence in Kill Bill...

Considering the whole movie is a homage to the Lady Snowblood manga, it is very much at home.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314519)
Considering the whole movie is a homage to the Lady Snowblood manga, it is very much at home.

It is not. None of the other assassins have their origins and childhood so vividly explained in such an extended manner. It was sheer fanboy self-indulgence wank*. Very poor film-making indeed.

*Of course the whole film was that, but the animated bit took it to an offensive level of awfulness.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314520)
It is not. None of the other assassins have their origins and childhood so vividly explained in such an extended manner. It was sheer fanboy self-indulgence wank*. Very poor film-making indeed.

*Of course the whole film was that, but the animated bit took it to an offensive level of awfulness.

You take this abit to seriously, it's fun. Plain and simple. It doesn't have to have a deep meaning, and your constantly shunning of what you believe to be 'a fan wank' is frankly a little disconcerting. Of cause, you are entitled to your opinion but I just find you hate things cos' you don't get them.

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:27 PM

Watching a film "too seriously" is a strange concept to me.

If it was meant to be fun then it failed on an even grander scale as none of it was fun except for Daryl Hannah's performance.

I very nearly walked out of the cinema when that animated rubbish turned up. So out of place and jarring, ruined the all ready clumsy pacing, and was totally unnecessary. Why explain one killer's backstory and not the others?. I was furious at the self indulgence of it.

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 314476)
They weren't the KKK :)

I know

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 314524)
Watching a film "too seriously" is a strange concept to me.

If it was meant to be fun then it failed on an even grander scale as none of it was fun except for Daryl Hannah's performance.

I very nearly walked out of the cinema when that animated rubbish turned up. So out of place and jarring, ruined the all ready clumsy pacing, and was totally unnecessary. Why explain one killer's backstory and not the others?. I was furious at the self indulgence of it.

Rubbish animation? You must love Ralph Backshi then. 'Enter Willy Wonka meme here'
I get the feeling you have an axe to grind with Tarantino or his style so i'll leave you raging to yourself for a moment but ask one more question, I often find your deffinition of a good film hard to diffine. Wholesome, well made entertainment is bad. Yet crap(yet admitadle so bad is awsome crap) like Pumaman get's a free pass? :crazy:

Gojirosan 21st January 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314528)
Rubbish animation? You must love Ralph Backshi then. 'Enter Willy Wonka meme here'
I get the feeling you have an axe to grind with Tarantino or his style so i'll leave you raging to yourself for a moment but ask one more question, I often find your deffinition of a good film hard to diffine. Wholesome, well made entertainment is bad. Yet crap(yet admitadle so bad is awsome crap) like Pumaman get's a free pass? :crazy:

I didn't say the animation was bad. It was very well done technically. I didn't mention the quality of the art or technique at all. The sequence itself, however, did not belong in the film for me. "Animated rubbish" is not the same as "rubbish animation" - do not twist my words for your own ends: very bad behaviour that.

"Axe to grind"? No why? He has made two excellent films. I find most of his films lacking or over-stuffed to the point of collapse. Hardly an axe to grind. Just a critical opinion.

I would never suggest Pumaman is a good film in the manner of The Red Shoes, but it is very enjoyable. Thus it is a success in its way.

"Wholesome"? I have no idea what you are trying to imply with this adjective.

"Well made" - not always enough. Super 8 is technically exemplary - still a dreadful film : trite characters, poor pace, dodgy script and dialogue, reliance on huge set-pieces, technique with no style or personality, etc etc etc.

I fail to see what your issue is with my taste in films. Rather you just seem to have "an axe to grind" with me personally. I suspect I am not alone on a CULT FILM FORUM (emphasis in case you hadn't noticed what this forum is all about) in liking fun "bad" films* as well as classics.

*there is a whole section devoted to Charles Band on here for God's sake!!!

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314528)

Anything wrong with Bakshi ?

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:45 PM

I have no issues with your taste, hell, I push myself about enough for liking alot of the Eurocine releases no matter how shite so I can hardly talk. I sometimes get conffused as to where you draw your boarders on quality, you claim asphetics has no effect on your enjoyment of a film (like Pumaman) and yet you often laud the animation on a number of animated features, where do you draw the line on budget being a restrain on quality? This is just the main issue I find with being a fan of genre titles. You have to waid through so much crap before you find a gem (and not just exploitation or animation if where following this train of thought. 99% of art house films are nothing but gaudy shit with no real substance) that I often find it difficult to diffine what make's a film good.

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314532)
Anything wrong with Bakshi ?

Not personaly, but at the time I figured Goji-kun was having a shot at the animation in the aformentioned Kill Bill sequence (now I know different so let's leave that to rest). Practicaly speaking the grainy nature of Bakshi's work hasn't aged well, nor have the thinly vailed shot's at sexism, but story wise most of his work still hols up.

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314536)
Not personaly, but at the time I figured Goji-kun was having a shot at the animation in the aformentioned Kill Bill sequence (now I know different so let's leave that to rest). Practicaly speaking the grainy nature of Bakshi's work hasn't aged well, nor have the thinly vailed shot's at sexism, but story wise most of his work still hols up.

You're young,you're gonna learn someday ;)

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314540)
You're young,you're gonna learn someday ;)

So your saying a Nympho Tinkerbell in a kid's movie is something that should be encouraged? :rolleyes::p

sawyer6 21st January 2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 314542)
So your saying a Nympho Tinkerbell in a kid's movie is something that should be encouraged? :rolleyes::p

Kid's movie ? Far from it

Hawkmonger 21st January 2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314543)
Kid's movie ? Far from it

The Wizards is a PG. It's aimed at familys. So must be appropriate for kids, no?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Lnm8rwefE4rDKi

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st January 2013 04:03 PM

Film debate is always encouraged as long as the debate doesn't get out of hand, posts are friendly in nature and no one's feelings are hurt.

Please keep this in mind and think before you click on 'submit reply'.

Thanks in advance!