All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th March 2019, 06:27 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Zombie View Post
Curtains.

samantha Sherwood(samantha Eggar) gets herself commited to a loony bin to do research for a role in a upcoming film. but her director (john vernon) leaves her there and has a casting session for six other actresses instead at his remote house. but she manages to escape from the mad house and turns up to confront vernon just as a series of murders starts by a black glove maniac wearing an old hag mask.

So so slasher film, which has a few interesting ideas going for it such as creepy dolls and a atmospheric scene on an ice rink. but ultimately left me feeling rather bored as its all rather dreary, bloodless and rather convoluted.
Eggar also left me rather cold eventhough she's a decent enough actress. but the rest of the cast apart from John vernon were totally bland and forgettable. 65 out of 100.

I've only ever seen Curtains on an old video that was utter pish quality. Can't remember much about it other than the ice rink scene is genius. Don't know if there's a cleaned up blu ray out there that would make it more watchable.
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th March 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Apple (1980)

Set in the fabulous future of 1994, one of the best movie experiences I've had in a long time!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th March 2019, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spaceballs

Another first time view. I laughed a lot. "Buckle This!!"

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th March 2019, 07:42 PM
Cult Veteran

I keep meaning to rewatch Spaceballs, I remember laughing a lot with the whole Dark Helmet/Ludicrous Speed section
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

Old 11th March 2019, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. Glad you dug The Apple. Tis crazed. Do you find yrself humming the title track??? I did ....
Justin101 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th March 2019, 07:48 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Indeed. Glad you dug The Apple. Tis crazed. Do you find yrself humming the title track??? I did ....
I've been doing The BIM all day long
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Old 11th March 2019, 08:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Family Stone. An uptight woman is nervous about meeting her boyfriend's family for the first time on the Christmas holidays, and her fears quickly start coming true when they take to her like a bucket of cold sick. But the festive season holds a number of surprises.... There's a great ensemble cast (Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dermot Mulroney, Luke Wilson, Craig T Nelson) in this funny and warm mid-2000s family comedy. Saw this at the cinema back then and enjoyed it, but for some reason never got it on DVD at the time and only just saw it again. Still a good film.
Old 11th March 2019, 08:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Monster Walks 1932.

In a old house during a storm, the inhabitants are menaced by a ape who is meant to be locked up in the basement.

This is another old dark house murder mystery film with some good actors in it that do make it believable with some corny acting at times. Even though it does look like it was cheaply done and shot over a week, and lasts an hour it does help to pass time away, decent enough to watch with its almost Scooby doo ending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (11.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 11th March 2019, 08:44 PM
Cult Addict

Bleach (2018)
A teenager named Ichigo has the power to see ghosts, after meeting a reaper named rukia he discovers a dark world of hollows and becomes a reaper.
I grew up watching the anime and went into this with low expectations but in truth its not bad. It ain't no masterpiece but it ain't shit.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 11th March 2019, 10:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Last week's viewings:

Absolution (1978)

At a Catholic boys’ school, domineering disciplinarian Father Goddard (Richard Burton) rules over his pupils with an iron hand. When one of his teenage charges confesses to murder, the dogmatic but deeply repressed Goddard finds his faith challenged and his life spiraling dangerously out of control.

Burton provides a pivotal central performance to this British thriller, in as much I couldn't see it working nearly as well without him. A little sluggish in places but dark and brooding too. Interesting to see Billy Connolly in a very early film role as well.

66/100

Doberman Cop (1977)

A straw hatted Sonny Chiba carries around a pig in a sack and attempts to solve crimes. This time there is a pyromaniac killer on the loose who has murdered a prostitute. Despite a fairly tight script, this one (as you may have guessed from the description above) is pretty off-the-wall. Fun to a degree but almost impossible to recommend, unless you like eclectic Asian crime capers.

63/100

Lucifer's Women (1974)

An acclaimed author has developed an interest in satanism and black magic. Hoping to manipulate him to suit his own perverse desire, his publisher convinces him to perform the ultimate black rite: a human sacrifice. Selecting a beautiful burlesque dancer to be their victim, he begins having doubts about his beliefs, as his publisher becomes more and more preoccupied with the black arts, and murder.

'70s occult oddity this modern telling of Svengali whilst a little lacking in substance made up for it with its smattering of occult montages, nudity and softcore. The disc also boasted an alternate version of the film called 'Doctor Dracula', which was directed by everyone's favourite hack Al Adamson. Safe to say I avoided that version (at least for now!)

55/100

The Gate (1987)

After a thunderstorm a felled tree unleashes hordes of demonic entities from the earth and it is up to 3 children to stop them. Throughout I couldn't stop thinking that it is one of those films that I would of rated a lot higher if I'd seen when I was young through the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. That's not to say that The Gate is a bad film - far from it. Some great stop-motion and other effects make this something special, the story is pretty engaging and fun, but the kids annoyed me a little to the extent that I couldn't completely sink into this one as fully as I would of liked.

64/100

Ghostbusters (1984)

Perfect Sunday afternoon entertainment. Whilst I have never been a huge fan of this one as I know some are, there's no denying its cult classic status.

81/100

Grave Robbers AKA: Dead Mate (1988)

Cute waitress/hooker is romanced and wed to a handsome stranger/funeral director on the spur of the moment as he proposes to her in the diner she works at after only having just met her. When she is whisked away in his Limo to his strange hometown, she quickly learns that he, as well as most of the town prefer their women dead, and that she is the next candidate.

I always like these weird, off-kilter towns with odd locals sharing deadly secrets and this film played into that trope very well. It's a bizarre film for sure, peppered with odd dream-sequences, the growing terror for our heroine as she becomes more desperate and unsure who to trust. There is bizarre necro-sexual stuff, gore, zombies (kind of?) and nudity. Recommended!

73/100

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 12th March 2019 at 06:36 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!