Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th March 2019, 08:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then Bigfoot

Sam Elliot stars as the titular chap. Surprisingly life affirming. Recommended. You know the plot already cough. Tis in the telling ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th March 2019, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

i- Lived

i wants to see someone die
Annoying blogger roadtests a new app. Back soon!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 14th March 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
i- Lived

i wants to see someone die
Annoying blogger roadtests a new app. Back soon!!
MEH. Back to the shop with this tripe. They have a "snapper" of Valentine funnily enough, but remember that being diiiire. Rewatch???
Justin101, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

[B]
Old 14th March 2019, 01:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Return of dracula.

Count dracula buggers off to America and worms his way into the home of a family after killing and impersonating a relative. and becomes attracted to his new found cousin.

A little known vampire film but still a pretty decent and well acted little effort, mixing suspense and a few thrills and chills.
actor Francis lederer is no Christopher lee but he still does a good job and has screen presence. And Norma Eberhardt who plays the damsel in distress cousin Rachael is quite apealling too.
And it was interesting to see a more modern take on the vampire legend as opposed to the usual gothic castle settings in the Hammer films.

Worth a watch for any vampire fan. 72 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg return-of-dracula-1-1024x576.jpg (59.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th March 2019, 02:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ Nice one.
The opening titles for THE RETURN OF DRACULA are really creepy. The music and Dracula's eyes are haunting.
keirarts and Paul Zombie like this.
Old 14th March 2019, 02:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Land of the Dead (2005)

My own personal favourite of Romero's Dead films. It may not get anywhere near the acclaim of the first three in the series (Dawn of the Dead is seriously overrated in my opinion) but i find it just so watchable that over the years it's become a feel-good film for me.

As with George's other zombie films it carries a weighty social commentary and also metaphors galore about the American way of life but it also continues on from Day of the Dead (1985) in it's look at zombie evolution. From Bub in that film saluting the repulsive Rhodes and learning to use a gun (With more accuracy than an Imperial Stormtrooper i might add) Land of the Dead features Eugene Clark as a zombie who has adapted leadership skills and commands the hordes of undead to do his bidding. It's original and a quite scary idea.

I also think Land of the Dead has comfortably the best cast of the whole series and characters that don't irritate meaning you actually care about them. From Asia Argento's hooker to Robert Joy's devoted Charlie, even John Leguizamo's sneaky Cholo gives the audience someone to if not identify with then at least root for and that's before we get to the heroic Simon Baker and dastardly Dennis Hopper. In this respect Romero the story teller has grown in both characterization and in writing dialogue as all come across as neatly rounded and written people.

Although the film isn't as gory as previous films it doesn't flinch in the flesh ripping stakes and although we don't have anything as memorable as the aforementioned Rhodes being torn in two we do have belly button jewelery bitten out, intestines pulled out of mouths and plenty of flesh eating from the zombies. Whats more, thanks to Romero having a larger budget the SFX all look far more realistic and the film itself seems a far slicker affair, plus we get the monster battering ram of a vehicle that is Dead Reckoning. An armoured fortress used to travel through zombie infested areas with ease.

As it is a bigger budget and far slicker film it doesn't feel as downright dirty as Day of the Dead nor is it as eery and scary as the original Night of the Living Dead but it is in my opinion a more accomplished piece of film making from a director who deserved a break from the studios in terms of funding and the end result is an effortlessly entertaining film and my favourite flesh muncher of them all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1000.jpg (27.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 14th March 2019, 02:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I’m a big fan myself, obviously it’s well known that Dawn is my favourite, but I rank Land higher than his later entries in the series, both of which would be easily forgettable if directed by anyone else
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th March 2019, 03:01 PM
Cult Veteran

I enjoy Land of the Dead too, but I always get a bit restless towards the end, it starts off really strong and then goes a bit too 'actiony' for my liking. Although, that being said, the strong cast really holds it together.

I get a kick out of the Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright cameos as the 'photo op' zombies in the fighting arena.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th March 2019, 06:45 PM
Active Cultist

images.jpg

Another blu ray crossed from the list of "unopen" collection.. only 50 to go lol you need to love this movie, dialogues/soundtrack everything is in there.
Old 14th March 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard View Post
Attachment 213290

Another blu ray crossed from the list of "unopen" collection.. only 50 to go lol you need to love this movie, dialogues/soundtrack everything is in there.

I gave up about 10 minutes in when I got the Shameful Blu Ray and stuck in the far superior Grindhouse Releasing one, the green tint is atrocious
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!