Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th March 2019, 08:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chocolate 2008.

Zen a young autistic girl, needs money to pay for her mum's cancer treatment, finds a book for money collection by her mum's old mob boss extorted. With powerful martial arts skills she goes on a hunt to claim the money.

From the first 20 mins I was bored, this had a bit of a slow start and was assured that it will get better and it did to the point of this girl knows how to fight. We are treated to fast octane decent choreographed fights and bone crunching scenarios. It does have like a Jackie Chan ending with the outtakes of the film and injuries sustained by the cast. This is one to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolate final.jpg (91.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 14th March 2019, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I gave up about 10 minutes in when I got the Shameful Blu Ray and stuck in the far superior Grindhouse Releasing one, the green tint is atrocious
I bought the Shameless one and watched it, and remembered how awful the film was regardless of the 'piss tint' and then sold it the next day

The soundtrack however, is awesome!
Rik, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th March 2019, 09:14 PM
Cult Veteran

Not going to do reviews because they're both well known and one was discussed on here the other day, but I watched two great comedy films and laughed my ass off with both of them!!

Spaceballs
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

I'm probably going to watch Dogma next because I've re-ignited my love of Kevin Smith movies, but not tonight I'm too worn out after work

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th March 2019, 09:59 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I gave up about 10 minutes in when I got the Shameful Blu Ray and stuck in the far superior Grindhouse Releasing one, the green tint is atrocious
I arrived to late to the party, Grindhouse was already OOP for ages.
Old 14th March 2019, 10:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

deep quad.jpg
THE DEEP (1977)
EXTENDED ABC TELEVISION VERSION (3 HOURS)

Finally got this film in all it's glory, and a mighty fine version it is.
Fifty three minutes of extra footage and extended scenes.
Only shown once in the U.S in this extended version in 1980, the film was 4:3 ratio with some minor editing to a few scenes to make it suitable for TV viewing at that time.
Some of the scenes in this cut appeared as extras on the U.S Blu ray and why this version has never had an official home video release I'll never know. Often mentioned but hardly ever seen as the only way this cut is seen now is from video tape recorded at the time and thus the extended cut has gained almost mythical status.

Excellent.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:02 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Magnificent Two (1967)

An ambitious yet largely uninspired vehicle for Morecambe and Wise that commits the crime of being for the most part unfunny.

Although it's fast moving and has a couple of decent action set pieces it fails to utilize the comedy legends properly and ends up being a dismal failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21165-the-magnificent-two-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (39.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 15th March 2019, 12:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Vampire Bat 1933.

In a small European village, people start dying of blood loss and believe they are being plagued by a Vampire.

This was a decent movie from Frank Strayer with a good cast from Lionel Atwill as the doctor of the village, Melvyn Douglas as the somewhat investigator for the deaths and leading lady Fay Wray, as the damsel in distress. Dwight Frye plays the dim-witted villager who seems to get shunned by others.

Strayer did a good job adding in some suspense and creepiness with a lot of camera movements and a small comedy element from Maude Eburne. Only downside I found was that it seemed to be filmed in a hurry but still watchable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vampirebat.jpg (84.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th March 2019, 10:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched The Blackwell Ghost (2017, Turner Clay)

FFer. Slacker investigates a house with a shady past. I can see you all nodding off at the back ..... TBH the big "reveal" in this one seems to have been the fact that people thought twas real? Am currently watching the sequel, which follows on from ... I think you get the jist here ... so it could be movie magic haha. Whatever. Absolutely nothing new here. I may dig out The Last Broadcast again. Or Noroi.

Big Trouble In Little China (1983, JC)

Mate hadn't seen this, so stuck it on. Basically a HK film with a hapless murican stuck in the middle. So glad tis intact now as well.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th March 2019, 04:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Clerks II (2006)

Clerks has always been my favourite Kevin Smith movie...or is it Chasing Amy?...actually it could be Clerks II.

A film that makes me laugh, cringe, wretch and laugh some more, but perhaps most importantly it usually has me on the verge of tears all thanks to the bromance between Randall and Dante. That scene in the cell is so touching and affecting, like a long term relationship is breaking up, but when Jay and Silent Bob casually say they can lend the guys the fifty grand needed to re-open the Quick Stop it becomes a film that is so life affirming.

So really, what more can you ask of a film?

Two King Diamond songs on the soundtrack?

Yep. You got that as well.

It's thirteen years since we last saw the guys, i don't know about you but i'd love to see how life is treating them as they approach the ripe old age of fifty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Clerks_II_Theatrical_Poster.jpg (26.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 15th March 2019, 04:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Horror (1963)

Emily De Blanchville returns to her ancestral home to find things a little different to when she left. Where is her father? And why is she doomed to become victim to an ancient family curse on her upcoming twenty first birthday?

Horror aka The Blancheville Monster is a classic example of Italian Gothic horror, indeed it's a classic example of Gothic horror full stop. The film is almost like a check list of everything that is great about the genre, yet it is put together so well none of it feels cliched.

It's alluringly filmed, highly atmospheric and is an exemplary eerie and stylish piece of Italian macabre and showcases why Gothic horror captures my imagination so much.

Like this? Share it using the links below!