Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2019, 03:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

demons 3 The Ogre.

a woman called Cheryl(Virginia bryant) is a horror writer and has been having bad dreams since childhood about a creepy wine cellar and an evil ogre that lives in a cocoon down there. and when her and her family, including paolo malco, and her son Bob, rent a old castle she discovers the wine cellar there out of her dreams.

this is a made for tv film directed by lamberto bava and is no relation to the actual Demons films whatsoever. in many ways it is a poor mans House by the cemetrery, with the same actor paolo malco, a thirty something wife and even another kid named Bob.
i actually quite enjoyed it to be honest and it isnt too bad at all. hardly any gore though, and very slow and plodding at times. but locations are excellent, and has a lot of the italian style with the gorgeous old castle. and a great score too that reminded me a lot of The Red Queen.
one interesting sequence as well is a direct rip off from Inferno with a underwater room. although theres more than one skeleton this time.

but overall this is well worth a watch, even if the actual ogre is rather silly looking with his wolf head and elizabethen outfit 70 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ogre-05.jpg (81.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 24th March 2019, 04:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Angel Heart (1987)

Alan Parker's film is brilliant in concept - The devil hires a private investigator in the neo-noir setting of New York and New Orleans.

However in it's execution it's a a bit of a rambling mess with a central story of a missing musician that isn't very interesting. Robert De Niro steals the film from under Mickey Rourke's nose with his portrayal of Louis Cyphre and the film has a sordid atmosphere but that's about it.

I was asked yesterday if i'd seen the film before and i replied yes, twice, but never owned it on any home video format. Well now i do, i wonder if i'll ever return to it?

I found the similarly themed The 7th Victim (Mark Robson) and Roman Polanski's The Ninth Gate to be far superior films.

Still for all it's shortcomings, Angel Heart was a million times better than the tripe that is Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh (1991) - A horror comedy that works on no level whatsoever and if the interview with FX maestro Tom Savini is anything to go off then 88 Films release of the film is heavily cut as none of the behind the scenes gore fx shown appeared in the film.

A sequel beckons on Monday - Bloodsucking Pharaohs in CEX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angel_heart1987.jpg (91.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg caa390b76b404be29aad81ffdcde32e0.jpg (65.9 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 24th March 2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 24th March 2019, 07:07 PM
Cult Addict

You ever read the book?
Old 24th March 2019, 08:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
You ever read the book?
Angel Heart? No.
Old 24th March 2019, 09:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Get Over It! A teenager is devastated when his long time girlfriend casually dumps him and then immediately hooks up with some poser. Intent on winning her back he signs up for the school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream - in which both his ex and her new beau are also involved - and starts taking acting lessons from his best friend's sister (Kirsten Dunst). You can probably work out the rest of the plot for yourself. Very slight early 2000s teen comedy, that's also very short (an hour and 20 with credits and some very long music sequences) but it's watchable enough. Martin Short adds some oldschool class and is very funny as the OTT narcissistic drama teacher with delusions of competence, and Kirsten is, as ever, very easy on the eye. I don't know whether I saw this back in the day - it's certainly the kind of thing I would have gone to see - but if I did I have zero memory of it. Which may say a lot. Still, it passed the time and I'd watch it again. Passable fluff.
Old 24th March 2019, 09:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Angel Heart? No.
I'd recommend it, obviously the same story but set all in new york

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th March 2019, 11:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Skyscraper 2018.

Will Sawyer assess security for buildings, is in Hong Kong working on a building called The Pearl. When it's taken over by terrorist and set on fire he must use his skills to get into the building and rescue his family.

This was a bit OTT even for Dwyane, this is like Paul Newman and Steve Mcqueen in The Towering Inferno rolled into one person and a hint of Die Hard set in modern day. There is some good one liners and visual effects, Neve Campbell plays Sawyer's wife which does help the movie in some ways, but can drag on a bit. 4-5 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyscraper-et00070335-03-02-2018-12-47-04.jpg (16.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th March 2019, 01:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Boogey man 1980.

A girl witnessed the murder of her mother's boyfriend by her brother through the reflection of a mirror. When the mirror breaks releasing the evil that begins to kill people around her.

This was a strange/bizarre movie, even from the title that the Boogey man is referred to a ghost/demon not a made up monster type film. But for Uli Lommel to use a mirror as a doorway for evil to escape was something new, the death scenes were good and with the music used was a bit creepy but wouldn't have you on the edge of your seat but will keep you entertained. I saw a heavily cut version of this and put me off watching it, it was as enjoyable to watch the full version of this. 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Boogeymanposter.jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 25th March 2019, 08:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

Fighting With My Family. An 18 year old working class English girl gets the chance to potentially become part of the WWF in this British comedy drama based on a true story. I didn't really know what to expect from this, and I really only went to see it for something to do this afternoon, and I have to say the trailer is a tad misleading, making it look like strictly a knockabout comedy, when it's really more of an underdog sports drama. It starts like a comedy, and frankly some of the 'modern' humour was so cringey I was starting to think "oh God, what have I done? Have I got to sit through 2 hours of this?" but then something unexpected happened. It started to get real, and I actually started to give a crap about the characters and the story. And I ultimately really enjoyed it. A pleasent surprise.
Old 25th March 2019, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Dirt

Lawdy. Thankfully not in 3D. 4 blokes form a band. Then go a bit overboard with the success and that. More enjoyable than the Queen film. Like I care. Not as mental as I thought it would be. Next!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!