All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2019, 02:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Passengers (2016)

Chris Pratt awakens 90 years too early from induced hibernation on a transport ship to a new colony planet. After quickly getting bored with Michael Sheen's android bar man he stupidly wakes Jennifer Lawrence because he fancies her.

Stunning to look at sci-fi epic that remains interesting for about forty minutes and then realises that with just two human characters there's not an awful lot to do with them once they've shagged and bickered a lot.

At almost two hours this is far too long i'm afraid, since essentially bugger all happens and the actual threat to life on the passenger ship is just a damaged computer module. It really is as exciting as it sounds and the whole thing is a huge anti climax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51nuQZhkRbL.jpg (33.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 30th March 2019, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All a bit meh , really didn't care for most of the characters and the story seemed to drag on and on ,it picked up in the last act, both Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito were great in their respective roles, but on the whole the movie was distinctly average. The weakest of the live action remakes. 5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 30th March 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 30th March 2019, 06:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

All a bit meh , really didn't care for most of the characters and the story seemed to drag on and on ,it picked up in the last act, both Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito were great in their respective roles, but on the whole the movie was distinctly average. The weakest of the life action remakes. 5/10
I haven't seen a good review for this yet. Most critics despise it for being too PC.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th March 2019, 06:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I haven't seen a good review for this yet. Most critics despise it for being too PC.
It's all a bit too PC. But not as bad as season 11 of Dr who. If you have small kids it's a time filler for them but can't see anyone else getting much out of it, was expecting more with it being Burton but on the whole it didn't feel like one of his films, expect the house of mouse had something to do with it.

On a side note Aladdin looked good but the one thing putting me off is Will Smith , not made a good film in years. Shame Robin died.
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th March 2019, 08:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Passengers (2016)

Chris Pratt awakens 90 years too early from induced hibernation on a transport ship to a new colony planet. After quickly getting bored with Michael Sheen's android bar man he stupidly wakes Jennifer Lawrence because he fancies her.

Stunning to look at sci-fi epic that remains interesting for about forty minutes and then realises that with just two human characters there's not an awful lot to do with them once they've shagged and bickered a lot.

At almost two hours this is far too long i'm afraid, since essentially bugger all happens and the actual threat to life on the passenger ship is just a damaged computer module. It really is as exciting as it sounds and the whole thing is a huge anti climax.
Trailer put me off . Kudos for sitting through it D

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th March 2019, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Sweet Charity (1969)

Unlike most musicals this from Bob Fosse which clocks in at a bum numbing two and a half hours actually needed more song and dance numbers as there were long spells without especially during the second act.

In truth the second act wasn't as good as the first aside from brilliant routines from Sammy Davis Jr's drug induced religious fest and Shirley MacLaine's wonderful 'I'm a Brass Band' routine.

Maclaine as Charity is as the norm an utter delight, that kooky sexiness to the fore in all her numbers, but the best routine came quite early on in The Pompeii Club called 'Rich Man's Frug' and is an outstanding routine in three parts wonderfully choreographed by Fosse particularly his creative use of unusual poses, gestures, and arm movements and it gives the first act of the film a feel of the Italian 60's giallo in it's music and ambiance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81UTOc+pjeL._RI_.jpg (96.4 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 31st March 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 31st March 2019, 05:36 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dogs 1976.

In Southern California, domesticated household dogs start to pack together and go on a killing spree.

This was mildly entertaining film, David McCallum plays Harlan Thompson a doctor of biology, who seems to take control of the killings along side Micheal Fitzgerald played by George Wyner who seems more interested in disproving theories. The acting was a bit wooden in parts, you can tell at the end that I was left open for a sequel that was planned but never emerged, worth a watch 6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer.jpg (96.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 31st March 2019, 08:59 AM
Cultist

7/10

Tries to be a bit arty and thinks it's more high brow than it is but it's really just a take on Taken with a bit of Taxi Driver. Enjoyable though.
Old 31st March 2019, 09:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Deadly Spawn (1983, Doug Mckeown)

Still quite grotty this. What, you haven't seen it? Ach well ... gather round ...
Canuck set scifi romp. Wee beasties invade a small town. That's about it plotwise ... The fun here is in the interaction betwixt the characters ... amazingly this seems intact (?) as most of what I remembered about the grue was in front of me ... Will endeavour to pick up the Arrow one for the old comparative viewing

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st March 2019, 11:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Went into this knowing absolutely nothing...and thoroughly enjoyed it. Bleak as hell, but very entertaining.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190331_085219.jpg (94.2 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!