Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th April 2019, 04:47 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

hqdefault.jpg

When a plane goes down the Arctic a group of scientists and Airforce men are sent to investigate from a nearby by facility. Once of the scene what they find is no plane but a craft not of this world. Even more shocking inside they discover a humanoid frozen in a block of ice. They quickly decide to remove their find and take it back to their Base of operations and defrost it for experimentation and hoping to find its origins and genetic make up. But soon they will regret their decision and wish they had left it below the ice outside.

It takes along time before we see The Thing and the wait is more than worth it but before the reveal the create a feeling of tension and the settling is absolutely perfect. They really are in a horrifying situation they are not only battling the thing but the weather outside will kill them and trying the keep the facility in working order for heat and food is another side of the back it really feels like a no win situation. No escape no help only facing The Thing head on will resolve this life or death situation.

No matter how often I watch this it still blows me a away how good this film really is and that fire scene is amazing so brutal and scary hearing the screams of The Thing but having no real affect on him makes you wonder just how and if it can be stopped at all.

9/10
Old 6th April 2019, 05:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 213922

When a plane goes down the Arctic a group of scientists and Airforce men are sent to investigate from a nearby by facility. Once of the scene what they find is no plane but a craft not of this world. Even more shocking inside they discover a humanoid frozen in a block of ice. They quickly decide to remove their find and take it back to their Base of operations and defrost it for experimentation and hoping to find its origins and genetic make up. But soon they will regret their decision and wish they had left it below the ice outside.

It takes along time before we see The Thing and the wait is more than worth it but before the reveal the create a feeling of tension and the settling is absolutely perfect. They really are in a horrifying situation they are not only battling the thing but the weather outside will kill them and trying the keep the facility in working order for heat and food is another side of the back it really feels like a no win situation. No escape no help only facing The Thing head on will resolve this life or death situation.

No matter how often I watch this it still blows me a away how good this film really is and that fire scene is amazing so brutal and scary hearing the screams of The Thing but having no real affect on him makes you wonder just how and if it can be stopped at all.

9/10
Over the years i've come to prefer this to Carpenter's film. It's very nearly a five star movie.

Before everyone says i'm nuts, i'll just reiterate that i love Carpenter's film as well, it's comfortably a four star viewing experience.
Old 6th April 2019, 06:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Over the years i've come to prefer this to Carpenter's film. It's very nearly a five star movie.

Before everyone says i'm nuts, i'll just reiterate that i love Carpenter's film as well, it's comfortably a four star viewing experience.
I'd rate them both a 9, slightly preferring Carpenter's film on balance.
keirarts, Nordicdusk and Linbro like this.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:

Definitely on par for me both works of genius in their own right.
Old 6th April 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed Last Train from Gun Hill, Nordy.

Excellent review.
Cheers Dem can't say enough good things about it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th April 2019, 10:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Got through a heap of the excellent extras from the 'Night of the Demon' set, today. Fantastic stuff. The Super 8 silent/condensed version is BONKERS! A must see!
Old 7th April 2019, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Frighteners 1996.

After a car accident Frank Bannister starts seeing ghosts and cons people into thinking they are being haunted. When people start dying a darker force from the grave has returned.

What's seems to start as a comedy slowly unwinds into a darker supernatural film, Michael J Fox stars as the lead role of Frank who has a couple of ghostly friends who scam the townsfolk. Chi McBride stars as Cyprus the 70s style dressed ghost and Jim Fyfe as Stuart the nerdy ghost and John Astin as The Judge, Jeffrey Combs as the weird FBI agent Milton Dammers.

Peter Jackson did a great job directing this gothic ghost story type film with great special effects and always seems to use of the outdoor scenery and use of the set up for the Grim Reaper to appear and a good score by Danny Elfman. Worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (1).jpg (3.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 7th April 2019, 09:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

I love The Frighteners. One of my faves of the 90s.
keirarts and MrBarlow like this.
Old 7th April 2019, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Captain (2017)

With the war coming to an end a young German army deserter, stumbles across a German captain's uniform in a car by the road side. In order to get by he takes on the persona of it's former owner (Captain Herold) and ends up enlisting the help of a rag tag band of military police and visiting a POW camp containing German deserters and looters. Herold has convinced those in charge that he has direct orders from Hitler to take command of the camp, and a horrific massacre of prisoners takes place over the next few days.

The Captain is a very odd film. Weird, practically schoolboy humour interrupts what is a very serious and at times shocking character study of how power corrupts and the influence authority has in a chain of command. Yet it lacked any reasoning, we had no idea why Herold was performing the deeds.

The interjected humour really felt wrong, in the midst of slaughtering prisoners we see a show for the camp officers full of scatological tomfoolery. It really doesn't sit well at all. Imagine say Schindler's List but as a satire and that's the vibe i got from The Captain.

Although a very well made film with excellent cinematography, it's one i won't ever return to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the_captain_uk_cinema_one_sheet.jpg (102.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 7th April 2019, 10:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Huset (2016)

Norwegian horror film marketed as The Winter Siege in the UK is a WWII set supernatural thriller about two German soldiers who stumble across an isolated house during a blizzard.

Snow, WWII and horror... what could possibly go wrong?

Well, for one thing, it's really dull, i only watched it last night and can't really remember a thing about it other than two soldiers wandering round a house talking. I don't recall much in the way of horror. When you see a film and think 'That was instantly forgettable', well in this case it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2a7f25052a27be0344da82b1a867e6c0.jpg (95.6 KB, 6 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!