All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179625Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2019, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dumb and Dumber to (2014)

I really like Dumb and Dumber (1994) it's a charming and witty comedy, but this was just ****ing garbage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dumb and Dumber 2 banner.jpg (86.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th April 2019, 07:21 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dumb and Dumber to (2014)

I really like Dumb and Dumber (1994) it's a charming and witty comedy, but this was just ****ing garbage!
Haven't seen it but it never felt like a good idea from the get go.
Old 8th April 2019, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Good Neighbor (2016)

An interesting experimental film that works at times and at others drags. The plot about a couple of youths who wire an elderly neighbor's house for an experiment to see if they can make him think his home is haunted is ever so slightly disturbing especially with the amount of surveillance devices they position round his home and the film comes across as sadistically voyeuristic.

However the increasing amount of time we have to spend with the two youths becomes alienating as they become more objectionable the longer the film passes by, but that's the only real down point to proceedings.

The plot twists along as we find out via a court case about the neighbors past. James Caan is excellent as the elderly man wracked with sadness and the more we find out about him the more we sympathize.

For a film that is essentially a found footage movie it's surprisingly innovative and breathes life into something that has been done to death.

Although i liked the film, i do feel it's possibly a one watch piece of entertainment due to the unfolding mystery and the nicely handled and fairly surprising / shocking denouement which once seen won't be forgotten.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-The_Good_Neighbor_poster.jpg (19.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th April 2019, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Mercy (2014)

Loosely based on the short story "Gramma" by Stephen King, Mercy is a supernatural thriller that promises much but falls apart due to the plot being far too slight.

A good cast (Frances O'Connor, Shirley Knight, Dylan McDermott and The Walking Dead's Chandler Riggs) bring the film to life as does some good location work, in fact the production values are all good, but the story sort of lumbers along failing to generate any scares or really delving into the whole witchcraft scenario i was expecting. Yes, it's an old house, mysterious book and creepy old woman type of film but that's about it, don't expect anything much to come of it.

Certainly watchable, but not much of a horror film all told.
Old 9th April 2019, 09:15 AM
Cult Acolyte

143480_1020_A.jpg
UNDERSEA KINGDOM
REPUBLIC SERIAL (1936) 12 Chapters.

Naval hero and athlete Ray 'Crash' Corrigan and news reporter Diana join Prof Norton in his submarine to find out what is causing the recent earthquakes.
The submarine enters a cave and the team find themselves in Atlantis and up against mad Ungar Khan who wants to invade the surface world..

Last time I watched this serial must have been 40+ years ago!
Good fun adventure apparently rushed in to production as Universal were preparing the FLASH GORDON serial for release.
Athletic 'Crash' Corrigan who mainly stared in westerns in the 1930's made his own ape suit and so from the 1940's starred in many features as a gorilla.
He also starred as the creature in 'IT THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE' and what looks like the creatures tongue in that movie is actually Ray's chin.
Anyway, a nice blast from the past and a good cliffhanger series mostly involving Ray getting blown up, crushed or walls falling down on him.

uk-sub1.jpg f4c24058226a7ad01bb837249ef1820d.jpg
Old 9th April 2019, 09:46 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 213959
UNDERSEA KINGDOM
REPUBLIC SERIAL (1936) 12 Chapters.

Naval hero and athlete Ray 'Crash' Corrigan and news reporter Diana join Prof Norton in his submarine to find out what is causing the recent earthquakes.
The submarine enters a cave and the team find themselves in Atlantis and up against mad Ungar Khan who wants to invade the surface world..

Last time I watched this serial must have been 40+ years ago!
Good fun adventure apparently rushed in to production as Universal were preparing the FLASH GORDON serial for release.
Athletic 'Crash' Corrigan who mainly stared in westerns in the 1930's made his own ape suit and so from the 1940's starred in many features as a gorilla.
He also starred as the creature in 'IT THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE' and what looks like the creatures tongue in that movie is actually Ray's chin.
Anyway, a nice blast from the past and a good cliffhanger series mostly involving Ray getting blown up, crushed or walls falling down on him.

Attachment 213960 Attachment 213961
Where can this be watched or can you buy it sounds good.
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:11 AM
Cult Acolyte

^ I have the public domain DVD's which can be found easy on ebay or the whole serial can be watched as individual chapters on youtube.
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 9th April 2019, 10:13 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
^ I have the public domain DVD's which can be found easy on ebay or the whole serial can be watched as individual chapters on youtube.
Sweet thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 02:43 PM
Active Cultist

Karate Warrior

Quote:
Anthony is in the Phillipines visiting his father. He inadvertently interferes with the affairs of local gangster Quino, who also happens to be a champion Karate fighter. After embarrassing Quino near a local tournament, Anthony is beaten up and left for dead. An old monk nurses Anthony back to health and teaches him the ways of martial arts so he may go back and fight Quino again
While I wait for Cobra Kai season 2 - I watched this rip-off from Karate Kid, you can't take this movies serious because they are not there to win a oscar, they are funny in some ways - the dialogues are atrocious, the actors.. or shall I say the people reading the script are hilarious, the fight scenes are worst than expected, and the extras you can see them looking straight to the camera, but all this together give the movie some "je ne sais quoi " - the best part of all? It's 6 movies - so a lot to explore. Do I recommend this movie to anyone? Only if you like Z-grade movies and have nothing better to do with your time.
Old 9th April 2019, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Twins of Evil(1971)

Peter Cushing stars as gustav weil, a god bothering fanatic who leads a bunch of witch finders who prowel the countryside looking for young girls to burn at the stake on trumped up charges of so called witchcraft. And he gets more than he bargained for when his sexy nieces come to stay Freda and Maria( the foxy collinson twins) , with Freda being the fiesty one who gets off with the local vampire Count karnstein.

This is my favourite out of the karnstein trilogy. and definately one of Hammer's best from their 1970's period. it manages to mix a great gothic atmosphere with superb set pieces, gore, nudity, and a top notch score.
Peter Cushing gives a superb performance too and is highly believable as the ruthless witch finder. and the Collinson twins are really good as well despite being apparently dubbed.
and also look out for Fulci regular david Warbreck as the local school teacher who falls foul of peter cushing.

a top watch indeed. 87 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2014-09-15-21h19m24s194.jpg (20.2 KB, 5 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!