Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

nekromantik 22nd January 2013 06:13 PM

I liked Ken Park too! :lol:

Hawkmonger 22nd January 2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 315092)
I liked Ken Park too! :lol:

You have a very twisted sense of humour. I thought it was vile. :laugh:

Justin101 22nd January 2013 06:20 PM

I'm going to reword my previous statement, I didn't really 'enjoy' or 'like' Ken Park but I found it interesting, I like Larry Clark but prefer him as a photographer rather than a film maker.

nekromantik 22nd January 2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 315093)
You have a very twisted sense of humour. I thought it was vile. :laugh:

ha ha!
You know what I meant! :loco:

Susan Foreman 22nd January 2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 314798)
Attachment 97588

Not as great as some make out not as bad as others make out. Some great music and fantastic visuals very pleasing on the eye. But not the best Sci Fi film ever made as i have seen it described. For me it was a good watch and i was far from disappointed in it because as usual i didnt go in expecting to be blown away and have my life changed by it.

Only thing is at the start i was expecting the drum rolls at the start of Elvis See See Rider to start :lol:

Elvis Also sprach Zarathustra/See See Rider Special Edition - YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 314820)
Sorry but IT IS the best sci-fi ever :)

"I'm sorry Sawyer. I cannot do that"!

sawyer6 22nd January 2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315109)
"I'm sorry Sawyer. I cannot do that"!

No worries

SShaw 22nd January 2013 08:22 PM

Tonights Bond was Octopussy. I'm feeling a bit sad as there is only one film left to watch from the box set (I started with the Dalton's, Craig's and Brosnan's before Christmas and the Connery's after) and its the derisible View to a Kill. Won't be able to watch it until Saturday as I am off on my travels again tomorrow - hopefully there is less snow in Toulouse than here in Bremen.

Linbro 22nd January 2013 09:05 PM

Original 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' - what can I say? This was my third attempt at watching. First time on vhs, the tape chewed up 10 mins in. Second attempt, dvd started skipping 15 mins in. In other words, my first complete viewing. Really pleased to see how well it holds up. Highlights for me were the opening credits sequence, and the first time we see Leatherface/first kill - amazing stuff. Ahead of its time in so many ways. Bluray extras were also watched, most were very interesting.
7/10

'eXistenZ' - second viewing for me, since first seeing it at the flicks. I like it more every time. Many call it 'minor' Cronenberg, but I really like it - though not as much as Videodrome/Rabid/Shivers.
7/10

'The Machinist' - loved this one, and appreciated it - amazing performance/commitment from Bale. The ghost ride scene was awesome, and the scenes in the apartment reminded me of 'Lost Highway'. Wtf happened to Brad Anderson? 'Session 9' is one of my favourites, and this wasn't that far behind it, but 'Transsiberean' and 'Vanishing on 7th Street' were terrible.
8/10
Lincoln.

Justin101 22nd January 2013 09:33 PM

I've been trying to watch Southern Comfort, I just can't get into it, I can't put my finger on why I'm finding it so boring, I really don't like any of the characters and I don't care if they escape the swamps or not. I'm quite disappointed because I expected to really enjoy this one.

J Harker 22nd January 2013 10:46 PM

That doesn't bode well. I've been looking forward to picking Southern Comfort up, but there's more worse than characters I don't care about.

fuzzymctiger 22nd January 2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 315263)
That doesn't bode well. I've been looking forward to picking Southern Comfort up, but there's more worse than characters I don't care about.

I actually quite like some of the characters.

I thought it was a fantastic movie, like Warriors in the swamp

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 05:35 AM

06:30am

Glass of vodka in one hand, cigarette in the other, the Lerner and Loewe musical 'Paint Your Wagon' DVD blasting out on the television

Does life get better than this?

fuzzymctiger 23rd January 2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315316)

Glass of vodka in one hand, cigarette in the other, the Lerner and Loewe musical 'Paint Your Wagon' DVD blasting out on the television

I thought I read misread the 6:30 am when I saw the glass of vodka.

Getting a head start? ;)

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 315318)
I thought I read misread the 6:30 am when I saw the glass of vodka.

Getting a head start? ;)

Goddess, no. That is late for me!

Started at 04:00, when I was rudely awoken by the cats, wanting their food!!

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

the Lerner and Loewe musical 'Paint Your Wagon' DVD blasting out on the television

Horace Tabor: Is it your proposal, Mr. Rumson, that we knock out the stage driver, steal a coach, and kidnap six women?
Ben Rumson: Sounds better every time I hear it.

What's not to like?

Demoncrat 23rd January 2013 09:34 AM

Rewatched The Beyond. Mate said the strangest thing, that he'd always got this and Near Dark mixed up. ??????? Takes all sorts I suppose. Still mad as hell, you either go with it or you don't.

I personally don't watch films that I know will "offend" me, but hey, that's just me.;)

JoshuaKaitlyn 23rd January 2013 01:22 PM

The Water Nymph (1912)
Cleopatra (1912)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post315485

trebor8273 23rd January 2013 05:54 PM

Just finished night of the seagulls, going to watch either the wickerman or some Randell and Hopkirk deceased.

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 315640)
Just finished night of the seagulls, going to watch either the wickerman or some Randell and Hopkirk deceased.

The proper one, or the trash with Reeves and Mortimer?

trebor8273 23rd January 2013 06:03 PM

The proper one, spent a small fortune on network DVDs when they had there sale that was one of many

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 06:06 PM

Good

I have the first series with Reeves and Mortimer on DVD, and with the exception of Tom Baker, and the episode with David Tennant in drag, it is worthless

Not a fan of Reeves and Mortimer!

trebor8273 23rd January 2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315664)
Good

I have the first series with Reeves and Mortimer on DVD, and with the exception of Tom Baker, and the episode with David Tennant in drag, it is worthless

David tennant was in it, was that before or after dr who? Think I'll watch Randell and Hopkirk not in the mood for wicker man, hope it gets a blu ray release for its 40th anniversary

Susan Foreman 23rd January 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 315670)
David tennant was in it, was that before or after dr who?

Oh gosh! It was a long time before he became The Doctor

It was the first episode of the first series of R&H - 2000 I think. The episode was entitled 'Drop Dead'. If memory serves, David plays an artist, who spends most of the episode wearing a wedding dress

But I haven't seen it for some time.

Once bitten, twice shy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Boy 23rd January 2013 07:07 PM

Viking Women And The Sea Serpent (1957)
Blood Of The Vampire (1958)
Race With The Devil (1975)
Attack Of The Crab Monsters (1957)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd January 2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 315712)
Viking Women And The Sea Serpent (1957)
Blood Of The Vampire (1958)
Race With The Devil (1975)
Attack Of The Crab Monsters (1957)

Attack of the Crab Monsters is brilliant and is great fun despite, or due to, its low budget.

Prince_Vajda 23rd January 2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 315714)
Attack of the Crab Monsters is brilliant and is great fun despite, or due to, its low budget.

Yep, a nice little movie with quite a bit of atmosphere. :nod:

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2

wongfeihung62 23rd January 2013 08:48 PM

Saw Tarantino's Django Unchained last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice to see the Franco Nero cameo and the whole audience was falling about laughing ,(for all the right reasons) during the KKK scene.

Susan Foreman 24th January 2013 08:04 AM

'Night of the Hunter'

Truly terrifying and believable

It's a shame Charles Laughton didn't direct any other films

PaulD 24th January 2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315840)
'Night of the Hunter'

Such a fantastic film!

As you say, it being his only directed film is a shame. Would have loved to have seen what else he'd have done.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 24th January 2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315840)
'Night of the Hunter'

It's a brilliant film and certainly, along with the likes of Citizen Kane, The Maltese Falcon, 12 Angry Men, Badlands etc., a contender for best directorial debut.

If one were to make a list of best final films, it would definitely take first place as Charles Laughton certainly went out on a high as a director with Night of the Hunter.

Susan Foreman 24th January 2013 09:39 AM

It's certainly 'Hitchcock-esque', before the term was invented!

JoshuaKaitlyn 24th January 2013 11:49 AM

Bangville Police (1913)
Fatty Joins the Force (1913)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1913)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post315881

trebor8273 24th January 2013 12:55 PM

les miserables really thought i wouldn't like it, but have to say i really enjoyed it and the three hours flew over.

Dave Boy 24th January 2013 01:36 PM

The Leopard Man (1943)
The Ghost Ship (1943)

Mojo 24th January 2013 01:48 PM

Anna - The Pleasure, The Torment

aka Secrets Of A Call Girl, this stars Euro fave Edwige Fenech in a kind of combination of Italian cop / gangwar thriller and ( slushy ) drama. A nice print frtom MYA for a change ( a port of the NoShame disc maybe? ). Not brilliant, but not bad.

Demoncrat 24th January 2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 315664)
Good

Awwwwwwww. :(

Demoncrat 24th January 2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 315945)
The Leopard Man (1943)
The Ghost Ship (1943)

TLM rules, what an atmosphere etc.....:nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th January 2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 315951)
Anna - The Pleasure, The Torment

aka Secrets Of A Call Girl, this stars Euro fave Edwige Fenech in a kind of combination of Italian cop / gangwar thriller and ( slushy ) drama. A nice print frtom MYA for a change ( a port of the NoShame disc maybe? ). Not brilliant, but not bad.

Thanks for this post Mojo.

I'm always interested to know the quality of Mya releases. One to pick up for sure now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 315945)
The Leopard Man (1943)
The Ghost Ship (1943)

A very nice Lewton double bill. :nod:

Hawkmonger 24th January 2013 02:47 PM

Oedipus Rex (Pier Paolo Pasolini- 1967): Thpughtfull, rather sordid look into the previously discussed taboo subject, dealing with it quite nicely and not turning it into some analogue for rape. Rather creepy at times and I certainly didn't feel clean coming out of it, but I did feel the story was accomplashing and a good retelling of the well known myth/ quasi-historical event.
The MoC BD is stunning and I highly reccomend it, but those words are spread about often enough to not garner any real persuasion.
Next? The Last Stand at the cinemas tomorrow. Should be fun if nothing else. Might watch Femina Ridens at the weekend.

PaulD 24th January 2013 03:11 PM

Death Steps in the Dark - odd little giallo that starts off with a murder and the chief suspect having to do his own detective work to clear his name, a la Argento. There's a bit of sleaze and a few bloody deaths then the whole thing takes on an odd comic tone which doesn't sit well with the rest of the film. Still really enjoyable though.