Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179432Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th April 2019, 08:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Fortunately, it's a massively popular and profitable film, so will be around for a long time.
Our local cinema has got it showing on most of its screens this week about 7 or 8 .
Old 30th April 2019, 09:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
There is a point in Witchery or Witchcraft or whatever they called it, where Linda Blair almost has her head caved in by a falling iron girder from a building site she passes. And I have to say that by the end of the film I was wishing I had suffered the same fate...while wishing the makers of the movie an equally horrid fate..
I bet once or twice you thought you were watching Doctor Who didn't you?
Old 1st May 2019, 07:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bet once or twice you thought you were watching Doctor Who didn't you?
Worse still Blake's Seven

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Old 1st May 2019, 11:13 AM
Cult Acolyte

54e0770d26b5b181c96b1fbc504e52a3.jpg
BATMAN AND ROBIN
COLUMBIA SERIAL 15 Chapters.

The Wizard has stolen a device which can control any motor vehicle from 50 miles away. Enter Batman and Robin who try to stop him gaining the crystals needed to activate the device..

Second Batman serial. Batman and Robin seem a bit more hardened in this serial with not much of smile on the faces from them or their civilian identities and they treat photographer Vicky Vale as a complete nuisance and don't really have much time for her apart from constantly rescuing her.
No Batmobile again, Batman and Robin travel around in a normal convertible.
The Batcave is bigger than the last serial but still only contains mainly file cabinets.
Good fun serial with plenty of fight scenes.

batman-et-robin-1949-01-g.jpg
Old 1st May 2019, 04:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Robin Redbreast (1970)

Excellent look at Wyrd England from the Play for Today series which showcases the customs of rural Pagan England alongside modern society.

Anna Cropper (who was born not two miles away from me in Brierfield, Lancashire) plays a recent divorcee who moves to the country to get away from it all, she finds the locals friendly but also rather strange in their devotion to Pagan customs. She soon meets a handsome young gamekeeper and she becomes pregnant, then things really take a turn for the Wyrd.

One of those dramas that starts off a bit quaint, becomes unsettling and by the last quarter, downright disturbing in it's embracing of long thought lost rituals.

It's almost certainly a precursor to The Wicker Man (1973) although in saying that it doesn't quite give the game away when it comes to Robin Redbreast.

This BBC production was written by the great John Bowen (writer of A Ghost Story for Christmas - The Treasure of Abbott Thomas, The Ice House) and the BFI dvd is highly recommended. Those who sniff their nose at dvd are seriously missing out here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 615KN-yreOL._SL1000_.jpg (71.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 1st May 2019, 05:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Attachment 214633
BATMAN AND ROBIN
COLUMBIA SERIAL 15 Chapters.

The Wizard has stolen a device which can control any motor vehicle from 50 miles away. Enter Batman and Robin who try to stop him gaining the crystals needed to activate the device..

Second Batman serial. Batman and Robin seem a bit more hardened in this serial with not much of smile on the faces from them or their civilian identities and they treat photographer Vicky Vale as a complete nuisance and don't really have much time for her apart from constantly rescuing her.
No Batmobile again, Batman and Robin travel around in a normal convertible.
The Batcave is bigger than the last serial but still only contains mainly file cabinets.
Good fun serial with plenty of fight scenes.

Attachment 214634
Love both ... by gum they are violent
Dave Boy likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st May 2019, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hearse 1980.

A woman stays at her late aunt's house unaware she dabbled in witchcraft and is being tormented by a driverless hearse.

This was more haunted house film rather than a haunted car type film but still decent enough Trish Van Devere plays the lead role who seems to be the brunt of the townsfolk for her aunt's practises.

The jump scares seem predictable and the hearse turns up in spots but more like cameo appearances, the dark gothic style does make it stand out In the eerie and the connection to the main house, it's not a big style budget film. 5-6 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hearssfeature.jpg (52.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Venom (2005)

Re-teaming Scream producer Kevin Williamson with his I Know What You Did Last Summer director, Jim Gillespie, Venom is an enjoyable if not spectacular slasher film.

Set in the American Deep South, the film has a nice creepy swampy atmosphere with a voodoo backdrop and a killer brought back from the dead who looks not unlike Swamp Thing himself, but this is no PG rated comic book romp, it's a gory horror film with slashings and impalings aplenty.

Whilst nowhere near as good as Williamson's Scream or indeed I Know What You Did Last Summer, Venom is still a more than watchable thriller that i've seen a couple of times now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Venom_(2005_film).jpg (21.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've never heard of it!
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I've never heard of it!
With it's all star cast as well? Bijou Phillips, Agnes Bruckner and Method Man.

Shame on you.

To be fair i don't think many have.
iank likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!