Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179447Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Iguana with the tongue of Fire(1971)

A woman is brutally murdered by a black gloved maniac who burns her face with acid and then cuts her throat. and her body ends up in the boot of an abassader chap(anton diffrig).
Luigi Pistill plays the ex cop who is trying to solve the case as the maniac turns up more victims.

not a bad effort from Riccardo Freda, even if it is nothing outstanding in the genre. and the Irish setting made a refreshing change. although the murder scenes are rather badly done with terrible special effects, even if they are quite sadistic in their tone.
One additional plus as well is the beautiful Dagmar Lassander who is looking as gorgeous as ever, which makes the film a much watch for fans. 69 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iguana_temp.jpg (40.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 4th May 2019, 12:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Double Bill..

friday-the-13th-part-2-british-poster.jpg

I remember seeing the trailer to the double bill at the cinema.
It was like the two separate trailers were edited together.
The trailers where it gives the body count. When the first film trailer got to and ended at 13, the trailer then carried straight on in to 14 etc..
I have never seen that trailer anywhere since.
Old 4th May 2019, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Freaks of Nature (2015)

Bonkers but fun, fast paced horror comedy kinda like Dazed and Confused meets Night of the Creeps in a small American town where humans, vampires and zombies live together until aliens arrive and turn them against each other.

Never taking itself seriously (How could they with a premise like that?) the film has a great cast that you'll have seen pop up all over the place from Denis Leary and Vanessa Hudgens to Joan Cusack and Breaking Bad's Bob Odenkirk, all are fair game for this sort of thing. All the characters are well drawn out and the three leads (Nicholas Braun, Mackenzie Davis and Josh Fadem) make you care about their predicament which is all you can ask in this sort of thing.

As well as some terrific action and gross out gore there are also a lot of laugh out loud moments from funny dialogue to the demise of Ian Roberts in hilarious Joe Pilato style "Why can't i just pass out", "Oh God that's my bowling arm they just tore off", "Not my intestines, put some back".

Horror comedy is quite subjective so i expect as many will dislike this film as like it, but i certainly enjoyed it.
Old 4th May 2019, 08:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Nanny (1965)

What has been cruelly known as hag horror, sees female stars of the yesteryear reappear in a mixture of horror movies and psychological thrillers...Whether its Joan Crawford wielding an axe or prancing around the circus top or Bette Davis in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? [1962].The Nanny has good old Bette Davis trying to micromanage a rather dysfunctional family..Wendy Craig seems to be a nervous wreck as her son returns from hospital after a long period away from the family, (after being blamed for the death of his little sister) the precocious little brat seems intent on making mischief and trouble for all the family, meanwhile, the father goes off and Craig is seemingly slipping into a nervous breakdown. Its a battle of wits between the son and Bettes Nanny, as the two slugs it out, in the "whos the more mental" stakes. The Nanny is part of Hammers psychological thriller period which started with Scream of Fear (1961) and culminated with Fear in the Night (1972), While it is not the best of the bunch, from this period, my favorite being Nightmare (1964) its bit of a slow burner compared to the rest but it has an interesting plot and which if you have not seen it before will keep you guessing who is the villain of the piece. If you prefer Hammers more elaborate gothic chillers, this may seem a slightly sedate affair, but Seth Holt keeps the suspense going and Bette Davis is as always on fine form..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 517GG0FpvcL.jpg (44.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 4th May 2019, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
What has been cruelly known as hag horror, sees female stars of the yesteryear reappear in a mixture of horror movies and psychological thrillers...Whether its Joan Crawford wielding an axe or prancing around the circus top or Bette Davis in Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? [1962].The Nanny has good old Bette Davis trying to micromanage a rather dysfunctional family..Wendy Craig seems to be a nervous wreck as her son returns from hospital after a long period away from the family, (after being blamed for the death of his little sister) the precocious little brat seems intent on making mischief and trouble for all the family, meanwhile, the father goes off and Craig is seemingly slipping into a nervous breakdown. Its a battle of wits between the son and Bettes Nanny, as the two slugs it out, in the "whos the more mental" stakes. The Nanny is part of Hammers psychological thriller period which started with Scream of Fear (1961) and culminated with Fear in the Night (1972), While it is not the best of the bunch, from this period, my favorite being Nightmare (1964) its bit of a slow burner compared to the rest but it has an interesting plot and which if you have not seen it before will keep you guessing who is the villain of the piece. If you prefer Hammers more elaborate gothic chillers, this may seem a slightly sedate affair, but Seth Holt keeps the suspense going and Bette Davis is as always on fine form..
No wonder she decided to become a nanny herself. Far better than letting lunatics run the show.
Old 4th May 2019, 10:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Mystery of the Wax Museum 1933.

With the disappearance of people and dead bodies, a journalist looks into the wax museum and the proprietor.

Lionel Atwill gives out a great performance as Ivan Igor the wax sculpture and madman who wants to rebuild what he calls, "his children". Glenda Darrell plays the nosey journalist who wants to know everything even asking how someone's Sex life is even in the 30s this may be risky asking that in a film. Fay Wray plays the fiancé of Allen Vincent who has a good set of lungs screaming at the climax of the film. Still good to watch. 8 out of 10.
Old 5th May 2019, 08:48 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rewatch!! Atwill always value for money in my book

Dark Skies (Scott Stewart)

What a grim film. As the economic downturn takes hold, a struggling family begins to realise that taxes aren't the only thing to be scared of. Yes, they live in a world that doesn't have Poltergeist on Sky or whatever but still ... after a few sleepless nights, the parents relent and visit a local 'expert' ... who turns out to be JK Simmons ...this was bleak as hell for a murican film I thought. And considering its pedigree, rather understated. Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th May 2019, 01:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Point Blank (John Boorman)

This being the Premium Collection BD I borrowed from an acquaintance. I'll be having this sharpish. And throwing my dvd out . Looks and sounds pristine to this demon. Lee Marvin is somewhat peeved when his plans don't go the way he wanted. A stylized but scruffy film, it demands attention. Strangest MGM production?? Hmmm ... Recommended. Quite a lotly.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th May 2019, 02:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Domestics (2018)

Following a chemical weapon attack on America, the remaining population has divided into two groups: themed gangs who ravage the lands and non-hostile survivors called 'Domestics'. Two Domestics, soon to be divorced couple Mark and Nina, try to make the journey to a possible safe haven in Milwaukee.

From the outline there's really nothing new here. This post-apocalyptic sort of thing has been done to death recently in films like The Road, The Book of Eli, Stakeland and of course The Walking Dead, but there are no vampires or zombies here, think Mad Max territory and you're on the right lines when it comes to the almost feral, totally lawless gangs.

Starring Kate Bosworth and Tyler Hoechlin, The Domestics works because the couple are placed into some tense situations meaning for much of the time the film is quite gripping, thanks to some good acting and a script that remains realistic. It's also interesting to see how quickly the 'normal' couple turn into killers in order to survive. The effects are well done with some bloody gore throughout and an action packed finale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Domestics-quad.jpg (84.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th May 2019, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Usual Suspects

A film made in Hollywood. Skating over the elephant in the room will be my pleasure ..

In the aftermath of a heist gone wrong, a pair of law enforcement officers struggle to find a solution, settling to pressurise the seemingly weak link in the chain. Watching it now is ... interesting to say the least. Now I can understand Fenster . Ahem. Baldwin and Pollack swear like it's going out of fashion. Whatever you feel about Kevin Spacey , his performance is central . It's still fun to watch if a little mannered now imho.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!