Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th May 2019, 11:25 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Mortuary (Embalmed) (1983) Mortuary (original title)

Amazingly I have only just gotten around to watching this film, I had seen the poster in many magazines and even the old videotape case on occasion back in the glory days of video rental, Its a fantastic piece of artwork, just a shame it is a little misleading, then again so is the theatrical trailer (no Mr Berryman)...This has such an odd mixture of 70s satanic conspiracy film but has that 1980s slasher vibe you can only get with films made in that era. You also get young college kids (played by people who look like there in the late 20s), a roller disco where all the hip people hang out and a killer who is dressed like he is auditioning for a part in Wes Craven Scream, and a ridiculously young looking Bill Paxton...We also get the married acting team of Lynda Day George and Christopher George who a year earlier had just managed to fend off a chainsaw limb chopping and jigsaw fan maniac in Pieces (1982, USA / Spain)...Christopher George who runs the neighbourhood mortuary has something to hide, and when he is not selling his coffins or embalming people he is dancing around in satanic garb accompanied by the local women's institute, innocent fun or something more sinister...While not a fully fledged 80s slasher it is still a lot of fun and has lots going on to keep the viewer interested, while the plot is as silly as it gets, the few bits of gore, are pretty effective..If you enjoyed other 80s flicks like Mausoleum (1983) and Hell Night (1981)..then you might just enjoy this 80s sleeper....Also, any fans of horror movies were dead bodies are made to sit up like there at a party will enjoy this as well...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mortuary_poster_01.jpg (96.4 KB, 8 views)

Old 15th May 2019, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dumbo (1941)

Not Disney's greatest achievement, despite clocking in at a mere 61 minutes there's barely enough story to fill the running time which is padded out by a lengthy hallucinatory sequence which although well done adds nothing to the plot.

The crows which cause controversy as they are alleged racial stereotypes however are pivotal to the plot and also have the best and most famous song in "When I See An Elephant Fly".

The Dumbo baby elephant is the films redeeming feature as it's so bloomin' cute and you just want to cuddle him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61T6mcoW6ML.jpg (64.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th May 2019, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Deadlier Than The Male(1967)

Bulldog Drummond(Richard Johnson) is an insurance investigator who gets an assignment into the deaths of some oil executives. and finds a megolamaniac Nigel green and his two ruthless female assassins played by the sexy Elke sommer and sylva Korsina in bikinis and weilding harpoon guns.

One of those james bond style rip offs that were popular in the 1960s, and a very entertaining one as well. Richard Johnson is excellent in the role and could actually have played James bond in my opinion. And with gorgeous ultra feminine babes, locations, exploding cigars and giant chess pieces.
Great fun and escapism indeed from those fantastic un PC times. 71 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-w1280.jpg (54.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 15th May 2019, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

le-masque-noir-de-zorro-affiche_382297_36329.jpg
ZORRO'S BLACK WHIP (1944)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 12 Chapters.

When her brother, the original Black Whip is killed, Barbara Meredith (Linda Sterling) takes on the role of the masked avenger. Riding out from a cave hidden beneath a waterfall, the Black Whip teams up with US Agent Vic Gordon to take down a corrupt politician and his thugs..

This is awesome and remains one of my favourite movie serials.
Fast horse riding, stage coach chases, stunts, lots of gun play and furniture smashing fist fights.
Second unit director is stuntman Yakima Canutt.

10_1944 Zorro's Black Whip.jpg 15.jpg
Old 15th May 2019, 09:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Are you Hivemind in disguise?
trebor8273 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th May 2019, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Dumbo (1941)

Not Disney's greatest achievement, despite clocking in at a mere 61 minutes there's barely enough story to fill the running time which is padded out by a lengthy hallucinatory sequence which although well done adds nothing to the plot.

The crows which cause controversy as they are alleged racial stereotypes however are pivotal to the plot and also have the best and most famous song in "When I See An Elephant Fly".

The Dumbo baby elephant is the films redeeming feature as it's so bloomin' cute and you just want to cuddle him.
Still light years ahead of the live action film of this year!

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th May 2019, 09:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Metamorphosis (1990)

A young scientist working on a cure for aging , experiments on himself because of the jealousy of other scientist and the fear of losing his funding. Things don't go as the scientist hopes as he wakes up not remembering what went on the night before and starts to become stronger and more violent , but the worst is yet to come as he slowly begins to.transform into something else. Far from perfect but an enjoyable bit a cheese. 6/10

Now watching Vampires night Orgy.

Metamorphosis-500x500.jpg

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk
Old 15th May 2019, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Harvey (1950, Henry Koster)

Charming tale of an old soak who is railroaded into committing himself to a sanatorium. Jimmy Stewart excels as the soggy scion whose friendship with a giant rabbit alienates all the unimaginative townsfolk he comes into contact with. A laugh riot. Do yourself a favour. Recommended

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th May 2019, 10:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Jigsaw (2002)

A very low budget horror from Full Moon Entertainment that i've always thought to be one of their best (Although most wouldn't).

The story is quite interesting in that a group of art students are each given a body part of a mannequin by their professor to decorate in any way they see fit before meeting up at a local bar one evening to piece the thing together like a jigsaw. One drink leads to another and the mannequin comes alive and offs the students one by one.

One of the students - Amy Bravo as Tawny, i find absolutely stunning and she does one hell of a sexy dance atop the bar (No nudity whatsoever i might add) which may well make me love this film more than the average punter but in truth the whole film has a vibe i like, from the liquor soaked drinking den to the grotesque mannequin going on a killing spree, plus there's a bit of a twist ending to boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51urVEjLMVL.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th May 2019, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Witchouse 3: Demon Fire (2001)

More cheap and cheerful Full Moon fun this time starring the great Debbie Rochon, who together with her friends (Tina Krause and Tanya Dempsey) hold a seance and inadvertently summon the with Lilith (Brinke Stevens).

Anyone with knowledge of US low budget horror will probably know what to expect just seeing the cast list, but i really quite like it. Admittedly not an awful lot happens in the first half other than girl talk but the second half improves with a bit of mystery, a sub plot about abusive relationships and of course a bit of wicked witchery.

Directed by The Dead Next Door's J.R. Bookwalter, Demon Fire is almost as cheap as horror gets - a budget of a mere $26k - but everyone gives it their all and it ends up a reasonable bit of fun.

I think last night was my fourth or fifth time of watching it over the years. When you consider i've seen the likes of Rosemary's Baby just a single time....

Like this? Share it using the links below!