Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2019, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

AWAIT FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS – See UK society laid bare in microcosm in this awkward combo of social realist horror and inexplicable bizarreness. A family is held captive in their pebbledash abode by an unknown authority that communicates to them via the TV – the freaked-out householders are put through a wringer of ‘protect and survive’ type exercises whilst steadily losing it. Is it all a messed-up government experiment? Can I just spoil it for the genuinely interested and say “no – it’s actually all the work of an alien organism that resembles a mass of pipe-cleaner worms or something”. Some may lose patience with its inability to reconcile horror sci-fi cliché, social content and baffling strangeness. Not Frankie though, that’s exactly where I get on board. Pretty good, genuinely claustrophobic and just ultimately, well, weird.

NIGHTMARES – Australian slasher from a vintage year, maybe 1980 or something. A traumatised young woman joins a theatre production presided over by a massive dickhead of a director. There are all kinds of on-set tensions for our ingenue and the wider ensemble to navigate, but the bigger problem is the bunch of generic but satisfyingly nasty murders that keep happening. ‘Nightmares’ is not very good in some ways. There’s an odd stiltedness to it all that runs through the acting, the pacing, the editing… for example, fade-outs are used heavily and arbitrarily, and go from signposting the ‘amnesia’ theme to just being a random device. Maybe that goes in its favour and adds a bit of weirdness, makes ‘Nightmares’ seem stranger than it is… and well, who can’t love a film whose ‘slasher’ is clearly telegraphed from the start and then makes a big deal about it all being a mystery. “But the killer is exactly who we were kind of led to believe it was!?” you will blurt in exasperated rage if you still give a shit come the ‘reveal’. Entertaining though.

VIDEOMAN – Perhaps this is example of a latter-day cinematic trend I occasionally feel I can detect, that of the movie that makes use of genre themes and tropes to explore basically mainstream dramatic territory. ‘Videoman’ follows a washed-up VHS horror dealer as he struggles to manage alcohol addiction, complications with his ex, and the possibility of new romance. At the same time, a mysterious collector seems to be stalking him after a deal involving a rare and costly tape falls through. ‘Videoman’ works well as a relationships drama, but falls a bit flat when it plays with more ‘fantastique’ elements, whether these take the form of clumsily deployed Bava-esque lighting or half-baked Giallo-like plot trimmings. With more subtlety, ‘Videoman’ coulda been a contender, although I’d say it’s definitely still worth a watch for trying to do something a bit different.

WHEN A STRANGER CALLS BACK – Carol Kane is pretty mighty in my book; she always stands out a mile and, unlike the majority of assembly line thesps, never fails to bring something a bit pungent to whatever she’s in. Here she is in WASCB along with Charles Durning, her co-star from the original. Like that film, WASCB gives us a fairly intense first half hour or so, although to be fair manages to sustain a decent pace and a reasonable level of suspense thereafter (the first seemed to shift gears into a bleak, oppressive drama after its notorious opening). There are a few high points that maybe deserved a bit more expansion – the killer’s ventriloquist act would’ve made Thomas Ligotti shudder, for example. When all’s said and done, it’s a nineties TV movie, so is held in check by a certain aesthetic. But taken for what it is, it’s good, and with Kane and for that matter Durning, it’s even better.

THE VISITOR – Been a while since I checked in on this one – wow, forgot it was such a big freako. It’s the cinematic equivalent of prog-rock, or maybe a prog-rock album cover. Its own soundtrack is an overbearingly screechy disco-funk rendering of ‘Apollo 13’, complete with strings so bombastic they flirt with fascism. The one number plays endlessly throughout and becomes distressingly addictive. As for the plot, well, something to do with a Damien-esque little girl who is the descendent of an alien villain called ‘Sateen’ and bad dad Lance Henrikson’s attempts to knock up his wife at the behest of a secret cabal who want a male heir of evil… don’t worry, John Huston’s around being an enigmatic saviour and Sam Pekinpah is a moody doctor of no consequence. Oddly, ‘The Visitor’ manages to achieve a celestial and almost creepily spiritual atmosphere despite the guffaws and the constant head-scratch factor. You could try to understand this film, but you would never succeed.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default 80

Quote:
VIDEOMAN – Perhaps this is example of a latter-day cinematic trend I occasionally feel I can detect, that of the movie that makes use of genre themes and tropes to explore basically mainstream dramatic territory. ‘Videoman’ follows a washed-up VHS horror dealer as he struggles to manage alcohol addiction, complications with his ex, and the possibility of new romance. At the same time, a mysterious collector seems to be stalking him after a deal involving a rare and costly tape falls through. ‘Videoman’ works well as a relationships drama, but falls a bit flat when it plays with more ‘fantastique’ elements, whether these take the form of clumsily deployed Bava-esque lighting or half-baked Giallo-like plot trimmings. With more subtlety, ‘Videoman’ coulda been a contender, although I’d say it’s definitely still worth a watch for trying to do something a bit different.
Meh what do those mellenials know,I lived through the 80s..it was our Vietnam...still great review frankiedrop..

Old 18th May 2019, 09:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Meh what do those mellenials know,I lived through the 80s..it was our Vietnam...still great review frankiedrop..
I'm still waiting for the real 'Boys From The Blackstuff'.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As always F ...

It's nearly time for me to revisit that particular Michael J. Paradise classic
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2019, 12:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nineteen Eighty-four. 1984.

Winston Smith is part of a party worker for the government modifying historical news, when he finds out the truth he goes on a quest of self questioning.

Based on the same novel by George Orwell, John Hurt brings his vision of Winston to life, even towards the end his performance is powerful as always. Richard Burton shows his acting as a cold bleak inner working party worker who's job is to torture but never seems to blink and has no heart. Gregor Fisher has a small role, made me laugh for a Scotsman trying to put on a English accent.
This is the sort of film to watch in peace and quiet and with the low lighting used in the film turn the lights out but certainly worth a read of the book and filmed perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 01:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

First viewing...loved every minute of it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190519_111132.jpg (91.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 04:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

...next, another first. Warner bluray, looks fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190519_141158.jpg (88.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 08:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

tiger-woman-movie-poster-1944-1020200693.jpg
THE TIGER WOMAN (1944)
REPUBLIC SERIAL 12 Chapters.

The Tiger Woman (Linda Sterling) and her native followers join forces with oil company rep Allen Saunders to fight off villainous land grabbers who also suspect there is plenty of money to be found in The Tiger Woman's true heritage..

Fan favourite Linda Sterling in her first serial role.
Plenty of fist fights and gun play with The Tiger Woman herself not shy about joining in on the mayhem.
Some great cliffhangers including a plunging mine lift and a fall into a lava pit.
Great.

Old 19th May 2019, 11:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Sleepaway camp(1983)

After a boating accident that kills her father and brother, shy Angela(Felissa Rose) goes to live with her eccentric aunt Martha and potty mouthed cousin Ricky. and finds herself the victim of bullying when her and Ricky are packed off to summer camp. And then the killings start.

I have to say that i have mixed opinions about this film. for starters, the acting is absolutely atrocious, especially from aunt Martha who has to be seen to be believed. Certainly made me laugh though.
And then there's the kills that are pretty poor as well and lack any kind of suspense, especially a poorly executed death by bees.
But the film is actually a lot of fun too with all the hilarious characters, such as Ricky with his funny F Bombs, and the macho jock types looking so unbelievably camp in their tiny shorts.
And then there's the whole creepy undercurrent that goes through the film, with the strange flash backs, and the creepy pedo cook chap, who fortunately soon gets his comeuppence.

definitely different and worth a watch despite a lot of its failings. and with one very weird twist ending indeed. 67 out of 100.
Old 19th May 2019, 03:25 PM
Cult Addict

The Camp on Blood Island
A group of POWs are tortured and worked hard at a Japanese Prison Camp and the general in charge is told that they will all die if the war is over, now they have to keep this a secret.
A pretty stark war film, from its opening sequence in which a man is forced to dig his grave and is then shot. It is a pretty bleak film

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!