All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th May 2019, 04:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Warm Bodies (2013)

I'm not saying anything regarding the plot of this largely bloodless zombie film which has a soundtrack that boasts Bruce Springsteen, Roy Orbison and Guns n' Roses.

It's not perfect by any means but by and large i absolutely loved it and was practically cheering at the end. In my opinion it's one of the few truly original zombie movies i've seen, not in that it's a zombie romance but in what it does with the concept.

Highly recommended.
Old 19th May 2019, 06:06 PM
Cult Addict

The Bloodstained Shadow
When a young professor and an artist arrive in Venice a spate of murders take place linking to the priest.
I don't know about this one personally some good kills, especially the old dear and the fireplace. A rewatch for schlocktober I think.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 19th May 2019, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default race with the demons

Race With Devil.(1975)...
what is more scary, being chased across America by some blood thirsty devil worshippers intent on sacrificing you to its god, or the fact you could walk into any shop and buy a shotgun and boxes of ammo without any id or back ground check..( I'm sure its all different now, but the shopkeeper in the film doesn't bat an eyelid when he sells Warren Oates the gun...im pretty sure Warren would fail a background check)…Apart from that this is a kind of action horror movie from the mid 1970s,that taps into that satanic America vibe you got with The Devil's Rain, The Brotherhood of Satan and mixed with a touch of conspiracy theory...Well Peter Fonda and Warren Oates set off on a road trip with there spouses Lara Parker and Loretta Swit, only to stumble upon a bunch of Satanists have an orgy and a bit of sacrificial fun...Of course they get spotted, and after that it turn into some sort of Wacky Races as there chased across Texas...It certainly plays upon the sort of Middle American insecurities some people have with the south, no one is to be trusted, not even the police or the local librarian...And it does build a nice bit of tension, only to be interrupted by some sub par Smokey and the Bandit chase scenes. Overall a fun film, but I much prefer The Devils Rain...Followed by Demons (1985) Lamberto Bava's critic on modern cinema where he addresses the social issues of the day and the political dilemma caused by a broken system and a corrupt regime...either that or it's a bunch of dumb assess being eaten by some zombie dumb asses, it doesn't get more dumber or fun than this, where the hell did the helicopter come from, and who has a real motorbike and samurai sword in a cinema foyer. Classic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg demons_1_poster_01.jpg (100.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg race_with_devil_poster_01.jpg (103.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 19th May 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Forget Rambo, John McClain , John Matrix and Ethan Hunt they all pale next to Mr. Wick. After becoming excommunicado in the last film, John spends the film trying to stop people collecting the 14 million bounty on his head, while trying to find a way out of it. Absolutely amazing with some of the greatest action/ right scenes I've ever seen, he must of killed more people than cecil b demille. With have one guy killed with a book! Some others with horses. Was on my seat from start to finish, roll on part 4. 10/10

Now watching the Ape man(1940)

Edit

Forgot too say John might have a run for his money with Haley Berrys character and her dogs of death. Quite a few cameos Anjelica Huston and a bald Mark Dacascos as one of the badguys. Among others.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th May 2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 19th May 2019, 09:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I was a bit surprised that i wasn't really a fan of John Wick. It was full of action but lacked tension i thought. A bit like The Hurricane Heist (2018) that i saw last night.

Non-stop action but it never drew breath to allow any tension or allowed the audience to care much about the characters. One set piece led directly to another. It was typically Rob Cohen in that it looked great but the overall feeling come the end was of mild amusement rather than wild satisfied enjoyment.

Imagine the flying trucks and farm machinery madness of Twister (1996) mixed with Hard Rain (1998)'s crime plot in total over the top Fast and Furious mode and that's The Hurricane Heist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fid18241.jpg (49.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 19th May 2019, 09:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Bloodstained Shadow
When a young professor and an artist arrive in Venice a spate of murders take place linking to the priest.
I don't know about this one personally some good kills, especially the old dear and the fireplace. A rewatch for schlocktober I think.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Still contains the best 'sound' gag that I've ever seen (accordion )
bleakshaun likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2019, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I was a bit surprised that i wasn't really a fan of John Wick. It was full of action but lacked tension i thought. A bit like The Hurricane Heist (2018) that i saw last night.

Non-stop action but it never drew breath to allow any tension or allowed the audience to care much about the characters. One set piece led directly to another. It was typically Rob Cohen in that it looked great but the overall feeling come the end was of mild amusement rather than wild satisfied enjoyment.

Imagine the flying trucks and farm machinery madness of Twister (1996) mixed with Hard Rain (1998)'s crime plot in total over the top Fast and Furious mode and that's The Hurricane Heist.
It's sillier than Geostorm for sure
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th May 2019, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
It's sillier than Geostorm for sure
I preferred Geostorm. For one this didn't have Gerard Butler as a brilliant astrophysicist. And much as it's difficult to believe, the characters in Geostorm were more rounded.

I should have mentioned that the surround sound on The Hurricane Heist is terrific. Wind constantly around you as was the clanking of flying (and crashing) metal.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 19th May 2019, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought that might be the case ... Physics be dammed!!

[B]
Old 20th May 2019, 08:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

John Wick 3. More of the same. I really liked the first one, was largely left cold and bored by 2, and this is closer to 2 than 1. It's a little bit better, and the climax is a bit more genuinely exciting, but I kinda wish they'd just left it at the original. Not everything needs to be a franchise...

Like this? Share it using the links below!