Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

dan hamilton 21st May 2019 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 603774)
Hello dan. Did you like it?

Hi! You know, honestly I cant say that I really like it. I think previous parts were better but in general, the 3 part is good.

Paul Zombie 21st May 2019 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dark waters(1993)

elizabeth(louise Salter) is a young girl who travels to a remote convent on a island in the Ukraine after the death of her father who had been funding the convent, and to search for her missing friend.

Directed by mariano baino. this is a very stylish and atmospheric film that is full of creepy imagery, with strange characters, including a funny chap who eats raw meat :lol:, and spooky candle lit catacombs on a rain soaked island.
The plot is rather confusing and drags a bit at times. but the beauty of the film held my attention through out, and even when the rather hilarious demon pops up at the end. :laugh:
Actress Louise Salter is also very charming as well, and reminded me a bit of jennifer Connerly. :)

worth checking out. And with a bit of gore too, but rather restrained compared to the likes of Lucio Fulci. 70 out of 100.

MrBarlow 21st May 2019 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge 2017.

In search of the legend of Trident of Poseidon, Captain Jack Sparrow is being pursued by a undead crew of a Spanish fleet.

Think the franchise should have stopped after three, four was pushing it, i did think of buying this but delayed it, thank god Netflix helped me saved some money.The laughs from the previous films were slow and far in between, i think the bits that were meant to be funny were not. Even the cast look to be bored about this and wasting god talent that they have, only decent think was the back story to the Spanish crew and how Jack got the compass that doesnt point to North. If your expecting the fun from the previous films prepare to be let down. 4 out of 10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2019 06:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Graduate (1967)

I wasn't as struck on this on first time viewing as i thought i might be. It was clearly satire but i didn't really find it laughingly funny, more the odd smirk here and there.

I didn't warm to Dustin Hoffman at all, finding him to be more of a creep than someone to root for, in fact my sympathies were with Anne Bancroft's Mrs. Robinson rather than our supposed hero.

Although the film's main scenario is timeless i did feel the film had less of a timeless quality to it than other classic dramas of the era such as Easy Rider, Midnight Cowboy and The Last Picture Show.

The soundtrack by Simon & Garfunkel is excellent, from The Sound of Silence to Scarborough Fair and of course the film's title track, it's five star all the way.

bleakshaun 21st May 2019 08:00 PM

Venom
A rich woman's son is the target of a kidnapping from an international criminal, who enlists the aid of the womans maid and chauffeur to help. Also a cock up at a pet shop means a black mamba is loose.
A bit of fun, not an amazing movie. But nor is it a pile of shit. Oliver Reed was good so was Klaus Kinski. Also a fun little appearance from Michael Gough.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Inspector Abberline 21st May 2019 08:20 PM

The Comeback (1978 )

1 Attachment(s)
Whilst it is pretty well acknowledged that Black Christmas was a big influence on Carpenters original Halloween, It can also be said that Pete Walker was keeping up the British end, and was doing quite a bit of slashing himself back in the latter end of the 1970s.Whilst it might be stretching a point some what, Pete Walkers The Comeback (1978) does share a few similar plot points with Dario Argento Tenebrae, change the main character from writer to singer, and there are a few similarities,although the similarities are quite tentative, and to stretch a point even farther there's even a hint of Dressed To Kill which it shares a plot point with (lets just say there's a wee bit of cross dressing going on) ...lets say Pete got there first.(well after Hitchcock and William Castle).. Not to mention a small hint at Edgar Alan Poe ...Hell there's even a cameo from zombie doctor and ghost hunter Richard Johnson and guess what he's a doctor in this as well.. The cast is pretty top notch Jack Jones who I believe was big in the 1960s does a fine job as a singer going a little mad,Pamela Stephenson as the love interest,(must be before she hit big time with Not The Nine O clock news) David Doyle (taking a break from bossing about three blow dried ladies) as Webster Jones the music mogul .Bill Owen playing truant from Last Of The Summer Wine, and good old Pete Walker regular Sheila Keith, doing what she does best, being a creepy house keeper...I really like The Comeback, it probably isn't Mr Walkers best film, but it has enough going on and has a few rather good scares and a bit of low budget gore as well...

iank 21st May 2019 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleakshaun (Post 603889)
Venom
A rich woman's son is the target of a kidnapping from an international criminal, who enlists the aid of the womans maid and chauffeur to help. Also a cock up at a pet shop means a black mamba is loose.
A bit of fun, not an amazing movie. But nor is it a pile of shit. Oliver Reed was good so was Klaus Kinski. Also a fun little appearance from Michael Gough.

You can also spot Eric Richard, aka The Bill's iconic Sgt Bob Cryer, at the airport IIRC! :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2019 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
White Zombie (1932)

Victor Halperin's early talky non-studio horror film is the first feature length zombie movie. Filmed in a mere 11 days on Universal's sets this is far better than it has any right to be. Bela Lugosi is at his best, even if he is in need of a little restraint, and stalks the screen in a far more sinister way than he did the previous year in Universal's Dracula. Halperin adds lots of atmosphere thanks to the use of unconventional photography and an almost fairy tale trance like ambiance swathes the viewer, helped by some truly outstanding sound design. The scene showing Legendre's sugar cane mill being worked by the living dead is truly fantastic; One of the great sequences of thirties and forties horror.

If the film has faults it's in the performances of the other players which appear quite stilted, the same goes for the dialogue at times and the denouement where Bellamy returns to life (how?) borders on the ludicrous, but Lugosi towers over such trifling faults with his sheer bravado in probably the best independent horror film of the 1930's.

A second viewing for me in the space of eight months for what is a quite remarkable film. For such a low budget film -$5k i think, the sound design is incredible.

It's short enough - 66 minutes - and atmospheric enough to return to time and time again.

MrBarlow 22nd May 2019 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once Upon A crime 1992.

Discovering a lost dog, and the owner dead a band of misfit Americans are now fugitives in Italy.

This is a comedy version of a who dunnit mystery with great acting from the late John Candy, Jim Belushi, Sean Young, Cybil Shepherd and Richard Lewis. George Hamilton provides some laughs as The Italian gigolo/con-man who knows how to charm the ladies.

Filmed in and around France, Italy and Monte Carlo, the scenic views are brilliantly done, even though some of the actors have never appeared in films together they all seem to share a scene together and wonder what comedy will they do next, its not a film you can watch over and over but certainly worth a watch even Eugene levy was at the director's chair for this. 7 out of 10.

bleakshaun 22nd May 2019 07:48 PM

Ice Spiders
A group of skiiers head to a ski resort to ski, unfortunately their enjoyment is ruined by mutant spiders, also the military try to stop them (the spiders).
More schlock on amazon prime, good to see Patrick Muldoon.