Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

re.form 3rd June 2010 08:15 PM

Play Misty For Me.

Sargento 3rd June 2010 08:22 PM

Last nite I watched ..

... Romero's Survival Of The Dead

Is it just me or is our George just trying desperately to hang onto a formula that kinda died in the 80s? It was dire! The story, the acting, the plot (what plot?!) and good Lord, I wish he would stop with those cheap CGI gore shots!!! Sorry Georgey but you are better than this, and we ... your fans ... deserve better! Only glad I just rented it rather than buying it. Oooh my DVD player will never be clean again!

:mmph:

DeadAlive 3rd June 2010 10:10 PM

Pontypool
Atmospheric and for the most part well acted. A horror film that makes you think and keeps your expectations up.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 3rd June 2010 10:32 PM

I thought Pontypool was great, a really taut and well acted movie that surprises with just how much tension can be drawn out just through dialogue alone.

I watched [Rec]2 at the cinema this evening and thought it was a pretty a follow-up to the first film which I found to be really impressive with plenty of well orchestrated jumps. This begins almost immediately where the first one finished with a SWAT team taking a doctor into the building. At times it is like The Exorcist on acid and it does threaten to go off the rails at the narrative works quite well and is a very solid 'found footage' horror flick. If you liked the first one, you'll like this.

BioZombie 4th June 2010 07:53 AM

I watched Violent Shit I the other night and low production values aside it had quite a creepy atmosphere to it. It's the story of a mentally disturbed man who escapes while being transported home and goes on a crazy killing spree with a meat cleaver. The gore effectss are pretty shoddy but the sheer amount of blood and the simple synth music start to get to you after a while. Not to mention that some of the stuff done to people is horrific. Plus I liked the demonic stuff, but I'm not sure what the bit about the crucified man (Jesus?) was all about.

Worth a look if you like lots of gore and aren't worried about acting, story, dialouge or production value.

I will be trying to get my hands on the next two in the trilogy.

nekromantik 4th June 2010 10:38 AM

Watched Cry of the Owl last night.

It was meh, good premise but fell flat from the middle onwards.
Its about a guy that stands outside this gals house and watches her through the window untill she catches him and then her bf gets jelous and she breaks up with him and stalks to stalk the guy that was stalking her. Her ex goes missing and he is a suspect. Stars Julia Stiles.

re.form 4th June 2010 11:57 PM

Elm Street 5 - The Dream Child.

nekromantik 4th June 2010 11:59 PM

Saw House On The Edge of The Park tonight.

Thought it was pretty good, liked it better then original Last House On The Left.
Altho Last House has the more disturning rape scene.

alex s 5th June 2010 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioZombie (Post 84024)
I watched Violent Shit I the other night and low production values aside it had quite a creepy atmosphere to it. It's the story of a mentally disturbed man who escapes while being transported home and goes on a crazy killing spree with a meat cleaver. The gore effectss are pretty shoddy but the sheer amount of blood and the simple synth music start to get to you after a while. Not to mention that some of the stuff done to people is horrific. Plus I liked the demonic stuff, but I'm not sure what the bit about the crucified man (Jesus?) was all about.

Worth a look if you like lots of gore and aren't worried about acting, story, dialouge or production value.

I will be trying to get my hands on the next two in the trilogy.

synapse has picked all 3 of these up for US distribution, which will be released early next year in a box set i believe, and unlike the recent german boxset will include Zombie 90 as well.

so may be worth hanging on for that

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th June 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alex s (Post 84240)
synapse has picked all 3 of these up for US distribution, which will be released early next year in a box set i believe, and unlike the recent german boxset will include Zombie 90 as well.

so may be worth hanging on for that

I purchased the anniversary (Ltd to 999) Trilogy boxset not too long ago, but it will be interesting to see how the Synapse set compares.