Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nordicdusk 27th January 2013 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 316732)
I would struggle to work after that little sleep but a friend at work is the same, he stays up until about 4 then gets into work just after 8. Co-codamol has been keeping me up, I'm supposed to be taking amitriptyline to help me sleep but it's not working. Just switched to Tramadol to switch it up because of the weird effects I've been having on co-codamol but it kept me up until 10am last night/this morning :( In a weird good way it at least didn't knock me out after that and I managed to get up for 1pm and I still feel wide awake. I miss normal sleeping patterns.

I used to be able to go to bed at 10pm and sleep until my alarm went off at 7am and on weekend when i was off work id go to bed at 3am and sleep until 12 or 1pm. Now on weekends i could be up until 6am and still be wide awake at 9 am being tired all the time is melting my brain.

SharonLynette 27th January 2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 316733)
I used to be able to go to bed at 10pm and sleep until my alarm went off at 7am and on weekend when i was off work id go to bed at 3am and sleep until 12 or 1pm. Now on weekends i could be up until 6am and still be wide awake at 9 am being tired all the time is melting my brain.

When I have my days off and don't take any tablets (to avoid some nastiness that I won't go in to) I'm in so much pain I just can't move and I sleep on and off all day but it feels like I'm losing my mind just as much as when I don't sleep. I know before this as I've got older I sleep less and less, I would be up early at the weekend, I think through fear of sleeping through my life but now it's just a mess. Is it something in particular that is making it hard for you to sleep? It might be worth speaking to a doctor to try and get you back on track or like me is it just an age thing?

I did struggle to get to sleep when I was younger too but late teens and early twenties I slept an awful lot, possibly thanks to the booze!

But I best attempt to go back on topic :o, I find it a struggle to actually concentrate on watching things but tonight I do plan to watch.

Dark Heritage (1989)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

and

Aerobicide (1987)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...V1._SY317_.jpg

Nordicdusk 27th January 2013 03:23 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98278 Attachment 98279 Attachment 98280 Attachment 98281 Attachment 98282 Attachment 98283

Linbro 27th January 2013 10:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 316679)
Attachment 98218

Is this the only Blu Ray its €21 on play. Is it worth it or should i just stick with the dvd until a decent version comes out.

Here's the Aus. release - looks and sounds very good to me.

Linbro 27th January 2013 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
They (Umbrella) also did a two disc collectors edition, on DVD. Worth having for the packaging.

Justin101 27th January 2013 10:26 AM

That DVD package looks very nice indeed :) The BD cover is ruined that ratings logo, is it a sticker or part of the cover? God knows why it needs to be so big - almost as bad as the German ones.

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316756)
That DVD package looks very nice indeed :) The BD cover is ruined that ratings logo, is it a sticker or part of the cover? God knows why it needs to be so big - almost as bad as the German ones.

I believe it's part of the cover. Australian releases should have reversible covers like a lot of German ones imo.

fuzzymctiger 27th January 2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316756)

There is no such thing as removable ratings or reversible covers in Australia. They are almost impossible to find.

And retailers wonder why we don't buy local :rolleyes:

Linbro 27th January 2013 10:48 AM

Yeah, printed on the cover. A slipcover would have been nice, with no rating on it.

Dave Boy 27th January 2013 11:00 AM

Dead Men Walk (1943)
Dr Terrors House Of Horrors (1965)
The House That Dripped Blood (1971)

Delirium 27th January 2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 316552)
Looks like Wykehurst Place,Bolney,West Sussex.
Also seen in The Legend Of Hell House (1973) and Demons Of The Mind (1972) :yo:

Hats off to you, sir! I knew I'd seen it before, but couldn't remember where (Legend of Hell House. I've not seen Demons of the Mind.. any good?)

bdc 27th January 2013 12:13 PM

The Ghost aka The Ghost Writer (2010)

Good suspenseful and thrilling thriller,impressed by this one (for a newer film).

Nice to see Kim Cattrall again. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOxJ8Jwcbpc

Frankie Teardrop 27th January 2013 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 316735)
When I have my days off and don't take any tablets (to avoid some nastiness that I won't go in to) I'm in so much pain I just can't move and I sleep on and off all day but it feels like I'm losing my mind just as much as when I don't sleep. I know before this as I've got older I sleep less and less, I would be up early at the weekend, I think through fear of sleeping through my life but now it's just a mess. Is it something in particular that is making it hard for you to sleep? It might be worth speaking to a doctor to try and get you back on track or like me is it just an age thing?

I did struggle to get to sleep when I was younger too but late teens and early twenties I slept an awful lot, possibly thanks to the booze!

But I best attempt to go back on topic :o, I find it a struggle to actually concentrate on watching things but tonight I do plan to watch.

Dark Heritage (1989)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...0,214,317_.jpg

and

Aerobicide (1987)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...V1._SY317_.jpg

I really like 'Aerobicide' - it's just sheer eighties awfulness incarnate (I must admit, I do have an irrational hatred / fear of aerobics and gyms so maybe I'm a bit biased). I seem to remember the copy I have has really bad audio.

Dave Boy 27th January 2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 316764)
I've not seen Demons of the Mind.. any good?)

Rather plodding psychological horror from Hammer, but I still enjoy it. Not one of the best of their later gothics, but looks good and has nice atmosphere all round.
EMI hated the picture and put it out on a limited run as support with Tower Of Evil in the U.K.

Pmauchline 27th January 2013 01:33 PM

Aerobicde DVD

Mine has really bad audio too. So did my copy of Madhouse but I got the USA DVD and its now fine. Are there any other releases of Arobicide I could get.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
American Mary (2012)

A truly original modern horror film, superbly acted by Katherine Isabelle. The film concerning illegal body modification had a fantastic concept and set up for the first hour. Unfortunately it seemed to lose its way for me and it began to dawn on me the film, whilst very stylish and beautifully filmed didn't really have much of a story to it.

The Soska Sisters who directed, give us a teriffic build up and some great characters, especially the owner of the strip club and then fails to explore them properly. It would have been great to see more of Mary's career as a freelance mob torturer. Don't be put off though, the opening hour is the best piece of horror cinema i've seen in years.

It didn't go full out body horror either, i was expecting full on graphic modifications simillar to Dee Snider's Strangeland but the directors wimped out rather than going for the full shocks.

However despite these niggles i really enjoyed American Mary, proof that the true horror genre is alive and kicking in 2013.

Rik 27th January 2013 02:42 PM

I've watched loads of films recently, as always, but the only one I haven't either seen or posted about before is a film called Dead Cert (2010) that was part of a prize bundle I won on here.
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...100_SY140_.jpg

From IMDb:

A gang of tough London gangsters get more than they bargained for when a group of businessmen make an offer to buy their club, the Inferno. They turn out to be nothing less than Vampires wanting their land back and turn viciously on the gangsters when their demands are not met.

Starring a few regulars from British gangster films, Dexter Fletcher, Jason Flemyng, Billy Murray (playing a similar role as he did in Strippers Vs Werewolves), Craig Fairbass (as the titular Dead Cert), the film starts off like a typical British gangster film a la Snatch etc before turning into a film not too dissimilar to Strippers Vs Werewolves, the werewolves being replaced by vampires this time round.
I'd not heard of this film until it arrived through my letterbox the other day and I must say that I did enjoy it, although not really original, it's still a good film with some great scenes and a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo from everybodies favourite Cockney Geezer, Danny Dyer towards the end.
Worth picking up for the couple of quid it retails at on Amazon

Dead Cert [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Billy Murray, Craig Fairbrass, Steven Berkoff, Dexter Fletcher, Lucinda Rhodes-Flaherty, Janet Montgomery, Jason Flemyng, Steven Lawson: Film & TV

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 02:53 PM

I enjoyed Dead Cert Rik.

Not a bad effort at all, in fact very entertaining. Far better than Strippers vs Werewolves from the same team.

Justin101 27th January 2013 02:56 PM

I watched the theatrical version of Touch of Evil last night from my new MoC blue-ray, never seen it before but it was awesome, found it quite strange and transgressive that a mainstream film of that era was talking about drugs, prostitution and teenage gangs. Although I have to say some of the 'teenagers' looked quite old :lol:
The image and sound quality was fantastic too! HD really improves these 40's/50's studio films more so than any other era of film I think.

Rik 27th January 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316793)
I enjoyed Dead Cert Rik.

Not a bad effort at all, in fact very entertaining. Far better than Strippers vs Werewolves from the same team.

Yeah, Dead Cert is the better of the two, but I enjoy both, especially some of the fine looking strippers in Strippers Vs Werewolves ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 316802)
Yeah, Dead Cert is the better of the two, but I enjoy both, especially some of the fine looking strippers in Strippers Vs Werewolves ;)

Was it me or were they strippers who didn't strip though?

Rik 27th January 2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 316804)
Was it me or were they strippers who didn't strip though?

Yeah, probably because they're all semi well known actresses

antmumford 27th January 2013 03:50 PM

Oh my, just finished watching We Need To Talk About Kevin. What a dark and powerful film. It really has the most incredible use of sound and imagery to make you feel uncomfortable throughout. An astonishing piece of filmmaking, it really is.

bdc 27th January 2013 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Teacher's Pet (1958)
Fun romcom with some social commentary.
Is it wrong to think Doris Day was hot back then? ;)

Nordicdusk 27th January 2013 04:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98347 Attachment 98348 Attachment 98350 Attachment 98349 Attachment 98351 Attachment 98352

wongfeihung62 27th January 2013 04:26 PM

LINCOLN - WTF, Where were the vampires? seriously though, despite a good titular performance from DDL and the worthy subject matter, I found it over-long, too talkative and worst of all boring.

Justin101 27th January 2013 05:14 PM

Just finished rewatching Toy Story 3 and got choked up when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie :lol: good grief!!

Rik 27th January 2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316828)
Just finished rewatching Toy Story 3 and got choked up when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie :lol: good grief!!

I took my eldest son to watch that and we were both close to tears by the end of it, I don't know anybody that wasn't

Nordicdusk 27th January 2013 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 98354

Pretty crazy twisted film.:nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 (Post 316822)
LINCOLN - WTF, Where were the vampires? seriously though, despite a good titular performance from DDL and the worthy subject matter, I found it over-long, too talkative and worse of all boring.

I though it was beautifully written with excellent performances by the entire cast, though each scene in which he appeared, Daniel Day-Lewis dominated and is understandably the favourite for the Best Actor Oscar.

I also found, even though I knew how the story finished, it was compelling – I thought the same about Zero Dark Thirty – which shows the quality of the film.

keirarts 27th January 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nordicdusk (Post 316834)
Attachment 98354

Pretty crazy twisted film.:nod:

A classic! Tony wong has never been better (or sleazier) that looks to be the release I have, its a supurb buy, it has the correct subtitles AND an option to get the really ropey ones that went out with origional releases, plus some interesting bonus materials.

trebor8273 27th January 2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 316833)
I took my eldest son to watch that and we were both close to tears by the end of it, I don't know anybody that wasn't

Same here and the scene in the furnace when they all started to hold hands, had a lump in my throat.

Nordicdusk 27th January 2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 316858)
A classic! Tony wong has never been better (or sleazier) that looks to be the release I have, its a supurb buy, it has the correct subtitles AND an option to get the really ropey ones that went out with origional releases, plus some interesting bonus materials.

Saldy i dont own it its my mates.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th January 2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 316867)
Same here and the scene in the furnace when they all started to hold hands, had a lump in my throat.

...same here.

Not as bad as bloody Marley and Me. (No Owen Wilson / crying jokes please) I was quite literally crying my eyes out in the last twenty minutes. Not just a tear, floods of them.

Dogs, who needs em'? ;)

THAT FILM WILL NEVER BE WATCHED AGAIN. :rolleyes:

bdc 27th January 2013 07:41 PM

The Collector (2009)
Not bad at all and a somewhat different take on the home invasion and "madmen who collect" genres.

I do prefer the more classical (read older) mad collector films though. ;)

Hawkmonger 27th January 2013 08:18 PM

Just sticking Motel Hell on. Looking forward to this one, just heard there was a direct sequel in the form of an IDW limited comic book series. If I like it enough i'll get that alongside the Arrow DF. :heh:

trebor8273 27th January 2013 08:22 PM

About to watch either videodrome or phantom of death after the episode of space 1999 I'm watching finishes

Handyman Joe 27th January 2013 09:40 PM

Recent viewings starting off with a real shocker
dished up by Channel 5

Spider-Man 3 - A howling embarrassment, a stinker
a cluttered, tension free, laughless limbo. Will Toby Maguire's
career ever recover from those cringeworthy bad Peter Parker
jive-ass scenes? Will Raimi's? Anyone who queried the need for
the new remake needs to watch this again.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Undoubtably the greatest
faces movie ever made. I don't feel I learned anything about
Joan the warrior, or the context of her plight, but as a portrayal of
pure faith in an impure world it's hard to beat.

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest - why not! The blu ray looks fantastic and the movie holds up even if the portrayals of mental illness look less convincing as the years go by. I always forget Michael Berryman is in this! Anyone else think Scatman Crothers character is exactly the same one as The Shining? A bit older, a lot wiser but its the same guy, he must have got the sack here, sobered up and got a job at the nearby Overlook

Baseball Fury 27th January 2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 316828)

That bit makes me bawl my eyes out! haha

PaulD 27th January 2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 316923)
That bit makes me bawl my eyes out! haha

Same here.