Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2019, 06:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Predator (2018)

One of the worst films i can recall seeing. Of course i've seen worse films than this but they weren't Predator films and they weren't written and directed by Shane Black, a supposedly very competent figure when it comes to film making and i expected so much more than the dross thrown up on screen.

The script is terrible, the first half being made up mainly of army dudes telling jokes Shane Black finds funny and the second half with our lead actor (Whoever he was) shouting "I'm going to save my kid" every ten minutes.

For a film titled The Predator, the titular creature almost seems shoehorned in as an after thought. We are never involved with the creature, it's not a fully rounded character as it was in the classic 1987 movie or it's 1990 sequel. It's just there as an action plot device, something for the army grunts to shoot at.

I thought 2010's Predators was bad but this is a ****ing disgrace.
I enjoyed this at the cinema, it doesn't feel like a Predator movie at all but it was ok as a standalone film I thought...at the time. Cos since then I've had absolutely no urge to revisit it nor can I remember anything good about it. Predators is much much better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 27th May 2019, 06:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
The Predator (2018)

One of the worst films i can recall seeing. Of course i've seen worse films than this but they weren't Predator films and they weren't written and directed by Shane Black, a supposedly very competent figure when it comes to film making and i expected so much more than the dross thrown up on screen.

The script is terrible, the first half being made up mainly of army dudes telling jokes Shane Black finds funny and the second half with our lead actor (Whoever he was) shouting "I'm going to save my kid" every ten minutes.

For a film titled The Predator, the titular creature almost seems shoehorned in as an after thought. We are never involved with the creature, it's not a fully rounded character as it was in the classic 1987 movie or it's 1990 sequel. It's just there as an action plot device, something for the army grunts to shoot at.

I thought 2010's Predators was bad but this is a ****ing disgrace.
394.jpg
Old 27th May 2019, 07:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Right! Will do!

Old 27th May 2019, 08:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A couple a yuppies buy there first home on a secluded island. At first things seem great the neighbours friendly and nice , maybe a little creepy. Soon the wife begins to suspect that the locals aren't all.they appear and begins to believe they witches/ devil worshippers. It's all quite tame and never lives up to the artwork. But we have a half decent cast which includes Tim Matheson, Woody Harrelson and Jeff Conway. 5/10

Now watching Dreams in the Witch house

71OrZud5wzL._RI_SX300_.jpg
Old 27th May 2019, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
A couple a yuppies buy there first home on a secluded island. At first things seem great the neighbours friendly and nice , maybe a little creepy. Soon the wife begins to suspect that the locals aren't all.they appear and begins to believe they witches/ devil worshippers. It's all quite tame and never lives up to the artwork. But we have a half decent cast which includes Tim Matheson, Woody Harrelson and Jeff Conway. 5/10

Now watching Dreams in the Witch house

Attachment 215280
Did you watch this on Prime or a disc?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Scared Stiff

Looked like a fun 80's excursion in the spirit of House or Troll but seriously.......so slow!!!!!! Going to go through the extras as there is much love for this film in the horror community so maybe i missed something?
Old 27th May 2019, 11:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I enjoyed this at the cinema, it doesn't feel like a Predator movie at all but it was ok as a standalone film I thought...at the time. Cos since then I've had absolutely no urge to revisit it nor can I remember anything good about it. Predators is much much better.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Bought this from cex, watched with the wife (who loves all things predator, even avp!!!) And we both agreed to sell it the next day! Awful!
Old 27th May 2019, 11:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Did you watch this on Prime or a disc?
Prime
Old 28th May 2019, 09:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A Blade In The dark. 1983

A composer staying at a villa while working on a score for a new horror movie is being stalked by a killer.

Lamberto Bava takes a shot at this murder mystery type slasher film which seems to follow suit to the way Dario Argento made his killer movies. Even from the start it was enjoyable, Bob from THBTC makes a small appearance for about 3 minutes and vanishes with a annoying scream (thankfully it was a cameo scene). The acting wasn't great but that was flawed by the bad over dubbing which can appear laughable in some scenes. The music score blends in with the background in some expect the unexpected scenes. It is worth a watch for giallo fans . 7 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-Blade-in-the-Dark.jpg (95.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th May 2019, 09:36 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
A Blade In The dark. 1983

A composer staying at a villa while working on a score for a new horror movie is being stalked by a killer.

Lamberto Bava takes a shot at this murder mystery type slasher film which seems to follow suit to the way Dario Argento made his killer movies. Even from the start it was enjoyable, Bob from THBTC makes a small appearance for about 3 minutes and vanishes with a annoying scream (thankfully it was a cameo scene). The acting wasn't great but that was flawed by the bad over dubbing which can appear laughable in some scenes. The music score blends in with the background in some expect the unexpected scenes. It is worth a watch for giallo fans . 7 out of 10.
I watched this again on Sunday night.

Two half decent kills aside it bored the pants off me. Half way through i remembered why i'd only watched it once before.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!